Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's not the fault of the people who monitor their Facebook in fairness - what do you want them to say? They can't exactly badmouth their employer. Best to fill out an ASAI complaint form.

Nissan Ireland don't appear to respond to posts to their wall anyway.

Yeah but lots of people may read it .... which is itself an achievement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Piliger wrote: »
    Yeah but lots of people may rad it .... which is itself an achievement.

The page has 11million followers

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The page has 11million followers
    The mind boggles :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is their way to communicate with the public. I don't understand why that shouldn't work both ways.
    It might not do. In a lot of companies it's just the ordinary schmoes monitoring the Facebook and answering customer queries - they can't say they agree with a criticism of the ad, all they'll be able to give is the stock "We're sorry you feel this way, we will pass your feedback on" line.

I think you were right to post it though for sure. That ad is just mind-blowing! They have to have known it is though - and any publicity that gets people chattering is a good thing, etc.
    It just goes to show men are easy targets to belittle in advertising, because obviously they wouldn't have dared choose a woman or make it about race, sexuality etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Sleepy wrote: »
    It's on Radio Nova quite regularly at the moment. Noticed it myself.

I thought it was a TV ad. I don't listen to Irish radio anymore so that'll be why it's escaped me.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No
    Where I work, the fact that women occupy a majority of the senior positions is lauded and is something to be proud of.

But yesterday I saw RTE news portraying the fact that men occupying more senior positions than women in the Education sector as a negative and something that must be rectified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

We have a temp working at the moment with us. Quite an opinionated and full of herself sort. She actually made the statement the other day that, 'men should have less rights'. I am dying to question her on this when she is next in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

py2006 wrote: »
    We have a temp working at the moment with us. Quite an opinionated and full of herself sort. She actually made the statement the other day that, 'men should have less rights'. I am dying to question her on this when she is next in.

Wouldn't even bother as it'd probably lead to a bad work environment. She's probably just spent a bit too much time on tumblr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No

the stupidity it burns

• Advertisement

She'll thrive on that oxygen. The best attitude to individuals who come up with something like that is complete indifference. She's dying for the chance to expand, don't cooperate with her by giving it to her.

Despite the sexist and deeply prejudice "man-up" campaign, yet more evidence that men are also victims.

Women are more likely to be verbally and physically aggressive towards their partners than men suggests a new study presented as part of a symposium on intimate partner violence (IPV).

Furthermore, women engaged in significantly higher levels of controlling behaviour than men, which significantly predicted physical aggression in both sexes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Vojera wrote: »
    A website I read (for women-who-like-women, but seems to be leaning increasingly towards Feminism-with-a-capital-F) has released a new t-shirt:
    image-640x480.jpeg

It makes me vastly uncomfortable, and from reading the comments I'm certainly not the only one. I can't imagine a "Misogynist" t-shirt would be viewed as "ironic" or "funny" or "provocative" in the way that this t-shirt is being defended.
    29 items for sale
    (first one doesn't have "misandry")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

iptba wrote: »
    29 items for sale
    (first one doesn't have "misandry")
    Gross, it's just gross. I just don't see how they're meant to be funny.

No
    I actually found a few of them funny, I love the mail tear jokes. Okay the kill all men ones are out of line but most of them are mild enough

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Grand and TBH I care not a jot what some skrillex headed social studies major wears, but can you imagine the feedback if the same products had misogynistic slogans on them. Imagine buzzfeed promoting "Kill all women" tee shirts, or Female tears? Oh man the latter would have the mob freaking out. Double that if you wear aiming some of these products at kids and teens. A million bloggists would be tearing at their breasts in angst and trigger warnings. Look at the wastes of space(no pun) who whinged about the scientists shirt. Hell I'd pay to see the what I described going down. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Finding humour in buzzfeed. Lol.

Edit: ^they wouldn't do that because buzzfeed caters to the kind of bitter radical feminist basement dwellers that actually would wear that sh!t...if they left the house.

No
    bloggers relly should not be treated like they are is some way authority figures, the male tears thing is a joke among feminists/progressives/whatever label you like, about feminism somehow being anti man same with the misandrist jokes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Aye, but the same "jokes" going the other way are far far less acceptable. That's the point.

I agree re bloggists, but I'd bet the farm LnM, that if such items aimed at women were anyway widely available the wider media would get involved quickly enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, but the same "jokes" going the other way are far far less acceptable. That's the point.

I agree re bloggists, but I'd bet the farm LnM, that if such items aimed at women were anyway widely available the wider media would get involved quickly enough.

that might be something to do with women still not being equal to men in the grand scheme of things so you would be joking about oppression.

if we lived in a matriarchal society then these jokes would be offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

that might be something to do with women still not being equal to men in the grand scheme of things so you would be joking about oppression.

:rolleyes: ah here we go

Edit: We can't have equality unless certain things (are allowed to be) offensive to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    Sounds like a handy "get out of jail free card".
    Just hold onto that victim card really tight and you can say what you want.
    We do though, women out earn men, live longer and have more rights when it comes to children.

maybe
    Nope, sorry, that simply doesn't bear the weight of much scrutiny. Certainly not in the West. By many, if not most metrics; health and spending on health, longevity, pay, education, the average woman is more than equal to the average man and is ahead in pretty much all of the above. Yes even pay, if you account for hours worked the rates are identical and for single women they're paid on average 19% more than a single man of the same age. No real wonder there as more women than men are graduating from third level. Never mind that significantly more men than women do the "dirty" and heavy lifting jobs and considerably more are injured and die from same every day. As we sit(hopefully) in our heated homes this evening, consider that the gas, oil and coal that heats our homes was found, dug out of the ground, transported and delivered by men in the vast majority of cases. And yes every single one of the above claims can be backed up.

As for "patriarchy"? If by that term you mean that there is an elite that controls most of the wealth and the majority of them are men(but not all), then yes, but that is an elite. For the rest of us our gender doesn't really matter as part of some "patriarchal conspiracy" and as I've shown for the average rest of us women are ahead in more aspects of life than men.

One could well argue a patriarchy within the elite, but for the average one could equally argue for a matriarchy.

The thing I think about "the patriarchy" is that for one to exist where women have been and are systematically oppressed by all men in power, it would require basically every man, who has ever been in a position power to be a misogynistic sociopath plotting against all women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    The thing I think about "the patriarchy" is that for one to exist where women have been and are systematically oppressed by all men in power, it would require basically every man, who has ever been in a position power to be a misogynistic sociopath plotting against all women.

If that were true then it'd mean that Una Mullaly's been lying to us.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Finding humour in buzzfeed. Lol.

Edit: ^they wouldn't do that because buzzfeed caters to the kind of bitter radical feminist basement dwellers that actually would wear that sh!t...if they left the house.

Lmfao I got an infraction for this post even though it's not personally directed at any posters here, it is criticism of an entirely different website. How sensitive can you be.

Is buzzfeed a member of this forum? Did I hurt its poor little fragile feelings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If that were true then it'd mean that Una Mullaly's been lying to us.

Considering her gem of telling us all that all men everywhere are responsible for making sure that men don't rape ... I think she has been lying to us. Just a hunch mind.

But that's of secondary issue to the fact that she's an appalling journalist in the first place.

maybe
    Lemming wrote: »
    Considering her gem of telling us all that all men everywhere are responsible for making sure that men don't rape ... I think she has been lying to us. Just a hunch mind.

But that's of secondary issue to the fact that she's an appalling journalist in the first place.

I was being a tad facetious. I stopped reading her ages ago. At least Jessica Valenti has the subtlety to avoid using the word "patriarchy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I was being a tad facetious. I stopped reading her ages ago. At least Jessica Valenti has the subtlety to avoid using the word "patriarchy".

I knew I should have added a scarcasm tag on my post. My bad :pac:

maybe
    On a more "humorous" note, we should all have to pay for tampons apparantly:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/11/free-tampons-cost-feminine-hygiene-products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

On a more "humorous" note, we should all have to pay for tampons apparantly:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/11/free-tampons-cost-feminine-hygiene-products
    In the United States, access to tampons and pads for low-income women is a real problem, too: food stamps don’t cover feminine hygiene products, so some women resort to selling their food stamps in order to pay for “luxuries” like tampons. Women in prison often don’t have access to sanitary products at all, and the high cost of a product that half the population needs multiple times a day, every month for approximately 30 years, is simply, well, bull****.

Women in the UK are fighting to axe the 5% tax on tampons (it used to be taxed at 17.5%!), which are considered “luxuries” while men’s razors, for some baffling reason, are not. And in the US, though breast pumps, vasectomies and artificial teeth are sales tax-exempt and tax-deductible medical care, tampons are not even exempted from sales tax in some states (including California and New York, two of the most populous states).
    In countries where sanitary products are inaccessible or unaffordable, menstruation can mean missed school for girls (UNICEF estimates 10% of African girls don’t attend school during their periods) and an increased dropout rate, missed work for women and repeated vaginal infections because of unsanitary menstrual products. One study showed that in Bangladesh, 73% of female factory workers miss an average of six days – and six days of pay – every month because of their periods.

how is this in any way anti-male sexism??

• Advertisement

maybe
    PucaMama wrote: »
    I'd agree with you there PM. Especially if blokes razors* are vat exempt and tampons/towels aren't. It makes no sense if nothing else.

*yes I know ladies use razors too, but they're pink and well we'll not talk of such things... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I'd agree with you there PM. Especially if blokes razors* are vat exempt and tampons/towels aren't. It makes no sense if nothing else.

*yes I know ladies use razors too, but they're pink and well we'll not talk of such things... :D

mens razors are better anyway :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tampons are 0% VAT in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    PucaMama wrote: »
    The sections you posted weren't, and I would support greater access and no taxation.

But this section definitely is:
    In 1986, Gloria Steinem wrote that if men got periods, they “would brag about how long and how much”:
    that boys would talk about their menstruation as the beginning of their manhood, that there would be “gifts, religious ceremonies” and sanitary supplies would be “federally funded and free”.

I could live without the menstrual bragging – though mine is particularly impressive – and ceremonial parties, but seriously: Why aren’t tampons free?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Mens razors are not tax free. Sanitary products are not classed as luxury items either. They used to be along with condoms so were charged the 17.5% rate but this was reduced along with condoms to the 5% tax rate. It is just a completely baseless "fact" thrown around so commonly people now believe it because so many other people have said it before. It's not like a journalist should check their facts though, thats just a boring waste of time.

If sanitary products should be free because 50% of the population needs them then surely toilet paper, clothes, water and food should also be free because 100% of the population needs them or is that just too socialiast and unreasonable?

Kind of off topic, but has anyone here changed from a multi blade razor to an old fashioned safety razor and thinks it's a lot better and worth it?

Maguined wrote: »
    Mens razors are not tax free. Sanitary products are not classed as luxury items either. They used to be along with condoms so were charged the 17.5% rate but this was reduced along with condoms to the 5% tax rate. It is just a completely baseless "fact" thrown around so commonly people now believe it because so many other people have said it before. It's not like a journalist should check their facts though, thats just a boring waste of time.

If sanitary products should be free because 50% of the population needs them then surely toilet paper, clothes, water and food should also be free because 100% of the population needs them or is that just too socialiast and unreasonable?
    I thought I'd throw this into the mix for what it's worth: men require more calories to survive so if one is concerned about different costs that a gender has to bear, one could argue they should get more supports in some way to pay for this extra calories/food (either everyone or people on benefits and the like).

maybe
    Kind of off topic, but has anyone here changed from a multi blade razor to an old fashioned safety razor and thinks it's a lot better and worth it?
    Funny enough D, though I am of the beardy brigade since my teens, I have heard exactly that from my far more respectably chinned mates and more than once. IIRC the consensus was that two blades was the limit as far as actual results and not much beyond the results of one and a safety razor properly wielded was well ahead.
    iptba wrote: »
    men require more calories to survive
    Speak for yourself I you greedy feck. :D

POF now has free, anonymous, WiFi calling; but only for women
    http://imgur.com/030BD8e
    [POF=Plenty of Fish]

I'm not sure how annoyed I am by this. But it is a company treating women more favourably than men due to their sex.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Jesus wept. I don't know which is sadder-the fact MIT actually did this or that the Independent (in keeping with their feminist outlook) thought it was news worthy.

maybe
    In any case, one of the local Green councillors shared it on Twitter so I've decided to stop volunteering with them.

maybe
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Jesus wept. I don't know which is sadder-the fact MIT actually did this or that the Independent (in keeping with their feminist outlook) thought it was news worthy.
    Oh MIT didn't do this, it was a a bunch of "researchers" in the north of England who based this "study" on the gender ratio of the Darwin awards. MIT in this case stands for "Male Idiot Theory". Yep and a paper of note and the British medical journal(wt..?) ran with this story. Can you imagine the attack of the feels and striking of breasts if someone in a national paper and medical journal ran a story with the acronym Female idiot theory? You couldn't make it up.

On the "theory" itself? It's long been known that the intelligence of men and women(as tested) has some broad differences. While the genders are roughly equal on average, men have many more at the idiot end of the scale than women, however they also have many more at the genius end of the scale. The other aspect regarding this "study" is men take more risks, especially younger men. Many more men die in accidents and the like, women play it safer. This leads to more men dying stupidly, but it also means more men taking risks and succeeding.
    In any case, one of the local Green councillors shared it on Twitter so I've decided to stop volunteering with them.
    Fair play Anca, but you had me at "Green councillors". :D

maybe

I joined up because I believed in what they stood for and until this morning, I'd have told you that they're the only logical choice. I've had a few niggles with some of their marketing material for a while but I agreed with too many of their policies to question it but this is a step too far I think. If someone had said the same thing about women, there'd be uproar and an apology at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Advertisement

No

that actually sounds like a great idea :cool: nothing is to socialist :p

If water is no longer free then I can't see any of the other stuff happening :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Oh MIT didn't do this, it was a a bunch of "researchers" in the north of England who based this "study" on the gender ratio of the Darwin awards. MIT in this case stands for "Male Idiot Theory". Yep and a paper of note and the British medical journal(wt..?) ran with this story. Can you imagine the attack of the feels and striking of breasts if someone in a national paper and medical journal ran a story with the acronym Female idiot theory? You couldn't make it up.

On the "theory" itself? It's long been known that the intelligence of men and women(as tested) has some broad differences. While the genders are roughly equal on average, men have many more at the idiot end of the scale than women, however they also have many more at the genius end of the scale. The other aspect regarding this "study" is men take more risks, especially younger men. Many more men die in accidents and the like, women play it safer. This leads to more men dying stupidly, but it also means more men taking risks and succeeding.

Its an interesting idea though. If its acceptable to acknowledge the fatter tail at the idiot end of he distribution for males then it must also be acceptable to acknowledge the fatter genius end. Of course when you do that gender imbalance in boardrooms and higher executive pay for males doesn't suddenly seem like such a bad idea.......

(Yes I know its an over simplification, but then so is MIT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6307910

"You say 'Babies are for girls! Business is for boys!'/Try telling THAT to my stay-at-home **** toy."
    Wow.

maybe
    The plot thickens... I knew the Greens favoured gender quotas but they said that it was only as intermediary measure.

Anyway, I did some digging, something I should have done much earlier in hindsight and found that the person I was volunteering for isn't exactly without form. Rather than end discrimination, they seem to be about

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11255122.Green_Party___s____unacceptable____gender_proposals/
    THE Brighton and Hove Green Party has been accused of proposing “unacceptable levels of gender discrimination against males” by its own party.

Concerns were raised after members voted to support an amendment by Councillor Alex Phillips that would change how the party selected candidates and discriminate in favour of women.

Under the proposals women would challenge at least two seats in a three candidate ward and one in a single seat ward.

They've not made a statement about domestic violence against men but they did tweet this at one stage:

B3SkdnBCIAEPfRU.jpg:large

One of their councillors has even been known to exaggerate the pay gap:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8096761.stm

I may have overreacted a bit but this capall will be a bit more careful about whose wagon he agrees to tow in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement