Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I heard a stat from a person involved in a rape crisis centre abroad. Of the 515 cases they've been involved with, only 4 of them have been confirmed as truth

This is part of the dirty little secret in rape crisis centres, who encourage reports of rape and push their clients to take criminal action even when they know full well it never happened. They then maximise the statistics to create outrage and collect more money for their campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In many rape cases there is no truth. It's one person's word against the other. I find it difficult to believe that so many cases were reported that were just not true, confirmed as not true. Just because a case could not be proved to be true doesn't make it false.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Piliger wrote: »
    This is part of the dirty little secret in rape crisis centres, who encourage reports of rape and push their clients to take criminal action even when they know full well it never happened. They then maximise the statistics to create outrage and collect more money for their campaign.

Have you anything to back up that assertion? In general I would think rape crisis centres are there to support and advise rather than push a person to action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe

This is one of the daftest things I've read in a long time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Have you anything to back up that assertion? In general I would think rape crisis centres are there to support and advise rather than push a person to action.

He can't because it's bull. Support workers, and I've worked as one, will only offer support and provide information. Callers are advised to notify the guards but it's never pushed. And if a caller actually admitted they make the allegations up they wouldn't be entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That seemingly large number - whilst dubious at best - may have an inkling of truth in it. Not in so much as people lying about being raped, but if it's a rape centre providing telephone support (which most do to some extent) and the person attributed with being the source is perhaps spending much time manning telephone, then it's entirely possible that they've had to deal with lots of pest/prank calls by bored and idle fvckwits.

There is also no apparent time-frame on that statistic, so if it's spread over a few years it may well be that once prank calls are removed, of all the cases that they themselves have personally had to deal with they've just ended up with bogus claims.

Even accounting for prank calls and bogus claims spread over a few years, it is still a very dubious statistic and I'm inclined to disblieve it. But like I said, it's possible however extremely unlikely.

Edit: I'm left wondering if the source hasn't misrepresented (either by accident or design), or there's been a case of chinese whispers and the rate of successful vs. unsuccessful convictions following contact with the centre in question hasn't taken on a life of its own. That is the only way I can see that statistic being credible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Lemming wrote: »
    That seemingly large number - whilst dubious at best - may have an inkling of truth in it. Not in so much as people lying about being raped, but if it's a rape centre providing telephone support (which most do to some extent) and the person attributed with being the source is perhaps spending much time manning telephone, then it's entirely possible that they've had to deal with lots of pest/prank calls by bored and idle fvckwits.

There is also no apparent time-frame on that statistic, so if it's spread over a few years it may well be that once prank calls are removed, of all the cases that they themselves have personally had to deal with they've just ended up with bogus claims.

Even accounting for prank calls and bogus claims spread over a few years, it is still a very dubious statistic and I'm inclined to disblieve it. But like I said, it's possible however extremely unlikely.

I doubt they get many prank calls or at least nowhere near that many. It takes a special kind of human vermin to lie about being raped and then ringing a rape crisis centre.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I doubt they get many prank calls or at least nowhere near that many. It takes a special kind of human vermin to lie about being raped and then ringing a rape crisis centre.

It does. I know well these human beings are out there but the amount of women reporting rape that actually happened I would say is far higher than malicious and bogus reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Like I said after the fact guys; I do wonder if some original statistic of successful vs. unsuccessful cases has morphed into something else courtesy of chinese whispers. That's the only way I can think of such a low number making sense from such a centre.

maybe
    Lemming wrote: »
    Like I said after the fact guys; I do wonder if some original statistic of successful vs. unsuccessful cases has morphed into something else courtesy of chinese whispers. That's the only way I can think of such a low number making sense from such a centre.

I think it's more likely that that number is complete tosh to be honest. I wouldn't even bother trying to account for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    Probably depends what "confirmed as truth" means. It that means resulted in a criminal conviction then you would expect the number to be pretty low.

It's a lot more common than you would think. Not so much out of malice but more from people who are mentally challenged. Once you offer callers a free phone number you attract these people more so than a service callers are charged for.

I was more thinking about the total numbers that actually get to the gardai and get investigated and are almost ready to go to court. I would imagine that there is only a small percentage of these that are malicious and bogus.

And of course women never lie .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

seriously? Sorry Piliger but comments like this are one of the main reasons I don't post that much on the forum any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I, I don't even now what to say to this. This feminist basically think men should not be involved in conversations about "feminist issues". She also makes this incredibly terrible paragraph.
    Feminism provides a safe-space for women to cope with and fight back against the oppressive society in which they live. It exists because oppressed people often need support from others who can empathize with their struggles — men have privileges that prevent them from being able to empathize with the struggles of women, even when they are survivors of sexual crimes. For instance, it is unlikely that a man will be asked what he was wearing during an assault, and it is unlikely that a man will be told that he deserved it due to his promiscuous behavior.

She's implying that any male victim of rape is privileged. Absolute madness!

maybe

I don't even know how to respond to this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

so much paranoia in this post. almost belongs in the conspiracy theories forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - Piliger you're last couple of posts fall below the standards we expect on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    Sexism against men isn't a thing, apparantly. Intel agrees:

B6uaEwZCEAA20mv.jpg

Statements like this need to be consistently ridiculed until people stop making them.
    I don't know where certain groups get the idea that they can redefine the meaning of a word, away from its common meaning.
    Only recently a poster on this website was trying to explain that black people can't be racist against white people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

334010.jpg

For sale in Zhivago on Shop Street :/

Another appalling newspaper misandrous sexist and prejudiced article in The Mirror.

"How can anyone defend man who punched woman in face? Shockingly, MANY are doing just that"

"“Girls shouldn’t be hit, not even with a flower.”"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Another appalling newspaper misandrous sexist and prejudiced article in The Mirror.

"How can anyone defend man who punched woman in face? Shockingly, MANY are doing just that"

There's a thread on the Ched Evans case here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78248954.

dont respond to a shove with a punch. that man is a thug.

PucaMama wrote: »

He did exactly the right thing. She got what she deserved. She hit him in the face and got the same back.

She hit him in the face ! Why should women be immune from this ???

She hit him in the face ! Why should women be immune from this ???

she shoved him he punched her

she shoved him he punched her

She 'shoved' him in the face.... that's a punch to me. She deserved what she got.

She 'shoved' him in the face.... that's a punch to me. She deserved what she got.

only he drew blood with his fists

• Advertisement

maybe

If women think they are above being hit by men then they have a responsibility to avoid employing violence against them. I don't know what happened here. Personally, I wouldn't use violence unless there was no other option regardless of my assailant's gender. I have no sympathy whatsoever for women who think it's ok to hit men and then tout the "men should never strike women" line.

To be fair, that quote was from a 7 year old so not really a something that should be taken seriously

If women think they are above being hit by men then they have a responsibility to avoid employing violence against them. I don't know what happened here. Personally, I wouldn't use violence unless there was no other option regardless of my assailant's gender. I have no sympathy whatsoever for women who think it's ok to hit men and then tout the "men should never strike women" line.

she pushed him not hit him

maybe
    she pushed him not hit him

She shouldn't have shoved him then.

She shouldn't have shoved him then.

he shouldnt have punched her. he did more harm. he was wrong.

maybe

Why are you not condemning the girl at all? I wouldn't have acted the same way as this chap but at the very least he has the right to be angry. Had she not shoved him, he wouldn't have hit her. It's her fault. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

• Advertisement

So it's his fault he hits harder and better ? No it was self defence and she lost. This attitude to women where they have a right to physically attack a man and not be hit in return ? is sexist and prejudiced and complete unacceptable.

Why are you not condemning the girl at all? I wouldn't have acted the same way as this chap but at the very least he has the right to be angry. Had she not shoved him, he wouldn't have hit her. It's her fault. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

he had the right to be angry but not to hit her. its not her fault he cant react appropriatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No

Best way not to be hit back is to not hit first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

In fairness, on the drunken streets if you are willing to abuse/assault somebody both verbally and physically then you run the risk of being assaulted yourself.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    To be fair, that quote was from a 7 year old so not really a something that should be taken seriously

Wrong .. it is a quote being used by the paper to support a message. That message is that women should be able to assault any man and a man cannot ever defend himself by hitting the woman back.

• Advertisement

maybe
    he had the right to be angry but not to hit her. its not her fault he cant react appropriatly

So you don't think she's at fault at all then? I'm not surprised to be honest. Whether or not he had the right to hit her is debateable. What isn't is that she brought this on herself.

So you are saying that a woman can assault a man in the face if he is bigger and stronger than him because he can do more harm ... .... Wow !

And you are also saying that when a woman hits a man in the fact, it is not appropriate to hit her back in the face.

Appalling sexism.

So you are saying that a woman can assault a man in the face if he is bigger and stronger than him because he can do more harm ... .... Wow !

And you are also saying that when a woman hits a man in the fact, it is not appropriate to hit her back in the face.

Appalling sexism.

again she SHOVED him she didnt hit him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe

So if Girl A shoved Girl B and Girl B retaliates with a punch, how ya fixed?
    Curious.
    Like it or lump it no matter what the gender is if you decide to go out and shove someone in an aggressive manner, you're* (a) a bit of an eejit and (b) putting yourself a situation where you might not fare out too well at the end of it, and that my friend is your own fault, end of.

*not Puca personally, I'm talking in a general sense.

Panthro wrote: »
    So if Girl A shoved Girl B and Girl B retaliates with a punch, how ya fixed?
    Curious.
    Like it or lump it no matter what the gender is if you decide to go out and shove someone in an aggressive manner, you're* (a) a bit of an eejit and (b) putting yourself a situation where you might not fare out too well at the end of it, and that my friend is your own fault, end of.

*not Puca personally, I'm talking in a general sense.

but i would be a bit of an eejit if i went around shoving people :p

again girl b is at fault tho for being over the top with her reaction

She hit him in the face.

Do we know the circumstances that led to her pushing him? Was he being aggressive or was it a random attack?

She hit him in the face.

She shoved him he punched her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Physically touching someone in an aggressive manner (shoving) can result in the other person defending themselves. Defending oneself can be whatever is necessary (punching) in order to stop the assaulter. Who knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    I'm sorry is there a proper way to react in a drunken street brawl late at night?

She started the fight. She shoved him to the ground.
    If you start a fight you don't get to decide how much force a person gets to uses in return.
    He hit her once and then stopped.

Do you condemn her for starting a fight?
    Are you not bothered by the fact that she hasn't been cautioned for her assault according to the article?

• Advertisement
Advertisement