Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Is this the course you're talking about?
    From looking at the details on another site it seems to offer a lot of support.
    Any sign of a men-only cessation programme on the site? I had a quick look and couldn't see anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is this the course you're talking about?
    From looking at the details on another site it seems to offer a lot of support.

It looks fantastic. But it's not open to men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

eviltwin wrote: »
    They got back to me. The crowd running the course didn't make the rule, it's an Irish Cancer Society condition that it's female only. They say a male only group will run later in the year but I can't really understand why a stop smoking course needs to be gender specific in the first place.

Just emailed ICS asking about it. Hopefully some others will also since they'd be more likely to give a decent response about it if there are a few enquiries.

Here are their contact details: http://www.cancer.ie/about-us/contact#sthash.Gr6KzSYB.dpbs

Make sure to clearly ask about the rule and why it's in place to separate women and men since it makes no sense for something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    iptba wrote: »
    Any sign of a men-only cessation programme on the site? I had a quick look and couldn't see anything.
    No I didn't see anything like that on the website.
    It looks fantastic. But it's not open to men.
    I'd tell your husband to go for it anyway if he's interested.
    You can register for it through the link I posted.
    If they refuse him a place ask for a reason in writing.
    It could embarrass them into opening the course up to both genders.

EDIT: Just saw your follow up post Eviltwin after posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Too many women in jail says minister http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31027549

Female offenders are a "special case" and should be treated differently to men.

"Women are a special case for very good, evidenced reasons. Firstly, many more women who go to prison have themselves been victims. They've often been abused or in violent partnerships.
    "Secondly, many more women have caring responsibilities than men do."

On a parole initiative:

Now up and running in Greater Manchester, the various agencies - police, magistrates, women's centres, prisons, probation - intervene at the point of arrest, sentencing or release to offer alternatives to custody, or to make sure women don't return to prison.
    Those involved say it's helping to reduce reoffending. Justice Minister Simon Hughes wants other English cities and regions to adopt the model. But the question many are asking now is - if it's so successful for women, why can't it be applied to male offenders too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

No I didn't see anything like that on the website.

I'd tell your husband to go for it anyway if he's interested.
    You can register for it through the link I posted.
    If they refuse him a place ask for a reason in writing.
    It could embarrass them into opening the course up to both genders.

EDIT: Just saw your follow up post Eviltwin after posting.

I'm in the process of giving up myself so find this bizarre. First two weeks weren't too bad, well they were bad but nothing compared to now. Finding it really difficult so have been looking to see if there's anything out there. It does look exactly what I was looking for, can't understand why they would make it gender based? It's one distinction neither addiction nor cancer make so why are the Irish Cancer Society of all charities making it?

Feck it, registered anyway. I donate to ICS on a yearly basis so don't think expecting some support in return is too much to ask? Not expecting anything but maybe it will highlight the lack of help to one half of the population for something that makes no distinctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

BBC article: The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) in the Uk has released figures from a study based on the latest Annual Survey of Hours & Earnings (ASHE) by the Office of National Statistics (ONS), showing that among employees (so self-employed excluded), in real terms, mens pay has dropped significantly more than women's. (7.3% vs. 2.5%)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Lemming wrote: »
    BBC article: The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) in the Uk has released figures from a study based on the latest Annual Survey of Hours & Earnings (ASHE) by the Office of National Statistics (ONS), showing that among employees (so self-employed excluded), in real terms, mens pay has dropped significantly more than women's. (7.3% vs. 2.5%)
    How is that sexist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

ALiasEX wrote: »
    How is that sexist?

Rest assured if women's pay had dropped at 3 times the rate men's had it would be sexist

• Advertisement

newport2 wrote: »
    Rest assured if women's pay had dropped at 3 times the rate men's had it would be sexist
    Exactly. It isn't sexist.

How is that sexist?

/sigh

Because if this were reversed there'd be howlings. In fact there is anyway. It's just another hole in the pay-gap myth as it exists today. There'll always be someone paid less than the next, but it's nowhere near what the Feminist movement portrays the matter as.

I posted the link thinking folks would find the statistics interesting reading. More fool me for not pleasing your person highness and the SJW brigade.

Lemming wrote: »
    /sigh

Because if this were reversed there'd be howlings. In fact there is anyway. It's just another hole in the pay-gap myth as it exists today. There'll always be someone paid less than the next, but it's nowhere near what the Feminist movement portrays the matter as.
    How was I supposed to know that's what you meant if you didn't mention it?

The National Women's Council think it is:

Alice-Mary Higgins, Policy Officer with NWCI stated,

“ESRI figures show that women in couples experienced a 14% drop in income compared with 9% of men during the recession."

Why compare it to men if they're not implying it's sexism?

(Of course not mentioning that more men lost their jobs and all their income in the recession)

How was I supposed to know that's what you meant if you didn't mention it?

Would you like me to tug at my cap whilst scraping & bowing too?

How about you read the article & figures and maybe, just maybe engaged your brain and thought "Hmm, interesting figures" and left it at that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Lemming, let's dial back the aggressive posting please.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    We can't be arsed with looking after our kids, apparently;

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/05/childcare-men-pull-weight

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

We can't be arsed with looking after our kids, apparently;

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/05/childcare-men-pull-weight

And it's a man writing that, my god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Lidl advertising their lingerie by getting a woman strip off to men. Man does this and the guards gets called.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Lidl advertising their lingerie by getting a woman strip off to men. Man does this and the guards gets called.

Haven't seen it but to be fair an ad advertising mens boxers where a man strips off to women could easily be up here as sexist so if anything this could be viewed as sexist to women.

Personally though wouldn't see either as sexist. It's products geared toward Valentines Day, a bit of harmless fun where the obvious audience is your other half, i.e. the opposite sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

DamoKen wrote: »
    Haven't seen it but to be fair an ad advertising mens boxers where a man strips off to women could easily be up here as sexist so if anything this could be viewed as sexist to women.

Personally though wouldn't see either as sexist. It's products geared toward Valentines Day, a bit of harmless fun where the obvious audience is your other half, i.e. the opposite sex.

It's sexist because men get treated differently to women.

Men can't go up to random women and ask them what they think of their boxers. (While stripping off).

• Advertisement

Men can't go up to random women and ask them what they think of their boxers. (While stripping off).

Depends on the man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I am more surprised of the lack of objection to this ad in first place. Before even considering reversing the genders.

Having said that, I haven't seen it.

Not sure what your point is. Thought we were talking about an ad, not some hypothetical random guy walking up to a girl on the street stripping off, be a bit bizarre if it was allowed? :confused:

DamoKen wrote: »
    Not sure what your point is. Thought we were talking about an ad, not some hypothetical random guy walking up to a girl on the street stripping off, be a bit bizarre if it was allowed? :confused:

I think this is it so its not an ad as the guys are being pranked. Tbh I don't see anything sexist about that at all, they all look very happy :)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/lidl-ireland-hilariously-prank-irish-lads-ahead-of-valentinersquos-day-660553.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No
    That ad isn't sexist in the slightest.

I think this is it so its not an ad as the guys are being pranked. Tbh I don't see anything sexist about that at all, they all look very happy :)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/lidl-ireland-hilariously-prank-irish-lads-ahead-of-valentinersquos-day-660553.html

ah right, makes a bit more sense now. Ok, can see the OP's point, sort of, but again, bit of harmless fun. Switch the woman with a male model doing it to women and think the outcome would be much the same, a bit of embarrassment followed by laughter.

It's obvious that it's a set-up and everyone's response is predictable, i.e. light hearted and see's it as funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

So according to Mc Donalds my car is a measurement of my manliness :rolleyes:

Man up at the Drive Thru by McDonalds Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Nothing major but I often see on internet dating sites, women say they are tired of kissing frogs and are looking for their prince. I often wonder how it would go down if I said something like "Looking for Snow White, not Miss Piggy".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    So according to Mc Donalds my car is a measurement of my manliness :rolleyes:
    What were they thinking? *shakes head*.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

veganrun wrote: »
    Nothing major but I often see on internet dating sites, women say they are tired of kissing frogs and are looking for their prince. I often wonder how it would go down if I said something like "Looking for Snow White, not Miss Piggy".

Try it and report back with results.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe

To be honest, complaining about this on dating sites is like moaning about a cold after being stabbed. I see where you're coming from, I just ignore morons who post guff like this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Can you not see the difference between the two?

PucaMama wrote: »

They're from different fairy tales? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

PucaMama wrote: »

No

maybe
    Well, saying one has "kissed to many frogs" most likely means that said one has dated a few people who haven't treated them well. Saying "seeking Snow White, not Miss Piggy" may as well read as "Don't message me unless you're hot".

Well, saying one has "kissed to many frogs" most likely means that said one has dated a few people who haven't treated them well. Saying "seeking Snow White, not Miss Piggy" may as well read as "Don't message me unless you're hot".

That's how I would take it. Why would a woman date an unattractive guy in the first place if that's what she wants to avoid :confused: Doesn't make sense. I think it means a "frog" is just someone who wasn't a very good person, its not meant to mean he was ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That's how I would take it. Why would a woman date an unattractive guy in the first place if that's what she wants to avoid :confused: Doesn't make sense. I think it means a "frog" is just someone who wasn't a very good person, its not meant to mean he was ugly.

Frogs are not known to be an attractive animal, appearance wise.

Also Miss Piggy is remarkably high maintanance and over dramatic, both things people would like to avoid. all true Muppets fans would know this :P

Though i agree anything that is written on online dating profiles isnt really to be taken seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Constantly get talked down to by two girls in work who are at the same level if not lower than I am. Just plain bad manners and they get away with it because they are female. It's a small office and my boss even said it to me & another bloke as it happens to us both. He said he was going to do something about it but he's one of these guys that wants an easy life so I suspect nothing will be done. It's not a huge deal but I just KNOW if the roles were reversed I'd be reprimanded being a man for bullying. There are complete double standards in this regard for males & females in the work place I have seen it so much over the last 10 years. I wouldn't mind I helped the two bitches their get jobs in here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Boko haram are in the news again. 300 days since they kidnapped a group of schoolgirls. While its pretty horrific, the silence about the boys kidnapped or killed by this group, both before and after is really disgraceful
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-did-kidnapping-girls-but-not-burning-boys-alive-wake-media-up-to-boko-haram/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0208/678659-boko-haram-malala-nigeria/

(Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against highlighting the plight of the girls, but rather that the lives of young male victims shouldn't be seem as less valuable or worth highlighting. Silence on this just removes a degree of outrage against groups like boko haram by taking it out of the public consciousness)

• Advertisement

Reply about the separate gender classes for quitting smoking finally found its way to my inbox.

Dear Enquirer

Many thanks for your recent query about the We Can Quit smoking cessation Programme, which is currently advertised on our website and other community channels in Dublin 15 and 17. I gather from your email that you are interested in two things; first to support a friend’s husband to quit smoking and secondly to find out why the Irish Cancer Society and our partners are running a smoking cessation programme specifically for women.

The Health Service Executive(HSE) operate a National smoking cessation support service available to anyone who wants to quit smoking; over the phone, by email, live web-chat or via Twitter or Facebook. The QUIT service also offers the online QUITplan on this site, and have a Facebook-based support group. The QUIT service is evidence-based and can offer quitters a standard treatment programme, where they will be tracked and supported for 12 months. The HSE Quit Team can be contacted on Freephone 1800 201 203 or www.quit.ie

They will send a QUIT kit, which can be ordered via QUIT.ie It will include the main QUIT booklet guide to quitting, a money box for saving the cash not spent on cigarettes, a wristband and pencil, a wallet card and post it pack. All QUIT services are free of charge from the HSE. The evidence shows that a smoker is twice as likely to quit for good by using a smoking cessation service, and twice as likely again if using an approved quit smoking medication. The HSE also offer 6 week group support courses run by HSE smoking cessation advisors and can be very effective. Groups are run out of the Mater, Beaumont and Connelly hospitals

for more information contact Noeline White stopsmoking@mater.ie

The Irish Cancer Society’s We Can Quit programme is being delivered in two north Dublin communities as part of an action research study to address the significantly higher smoking rates of women in lower income groups compared to the general population. Evidence, on which our programme is based, shows that women from lower income groups have the same motivation to quit as the rest of the population, but they are less successful in making their quit attempts last for good. The aim of the study is to find out more about why women smoke and their reasons and motivations supporting them or indeed preventing them from quitting. The goal of the study is to deliver a community-based smoking cessation programme to 100 women, in line with best international evidence, to find out what works in an Irish setting.

If you are interested in finding out more about the role gender plays in the delivery of services to suit the health needs of different population groups – I would be happy to send you some background information on the study. There is currently no international evidence to suggest that a men only smoking cessation group would work better than the current mainstream smoking cessation services available (see above). However when this study is finished by the end of 2015, the Irish Cancer Society and our partners hope that the lessons from the study could be applied to other population groups where smoking rates are significantly higher than the national average.

All the services of the Irish Cancer Society: our Cancer Information Services, Helpline, Daffodil Centres, affiliated cancer support centres, are open to both women and men. Our transport and financial aid schemes, are also open to both men and women, although different rules or criteria may apply, on the basis of need. Our evidence-based Cancer Prevention programmes are for all, but sometimes we target specific groups in society, e.g. children and young people for our smoking prevention and sun protection activities. We currently run men only support groups for men who have been recently diagnosed with cancer. For the last 10 years we have supported the all-Ireland Men’s health week (3rd week in June) to get the whole community behind supporting men’s health. Our gender specific programmes are not designed to divide the sexes but to increase awareness and understanding where there is a gap in research or service delivery, and to create a safe space for people, where there may be sensitivities, to support them to look after their health.

I appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. As a result we will make the information on our website clearer and we will make sure that we signpost anyone who knows a man who would like to quit to the current national services available.

Yours sincerely

The Irish Cancer Society’s We Can Quit programme is being delivered in two north Dublin communities as part of an action research study to address the significantly higher smoking rates of women in lower income groups compared to the general population. Evidence, on which our programme is based, shows that women from lower income groups have the same motivation to quit as the rest of the population, but they are less successful in making their quit attempts last for good.

Could be wrong, but willing to bet the exact same applies to men. If it's specific to lower income groups, why further divide it by gender?

maybe
    "Feminist" has abortion because she found out her baby was male:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/10/feminist-lana-aborts-baby_n_6651442.html

• Advertisement

maybe
    I would have thought that the Huffington Post was a reliable source.

I would have thought that the Huffington Post was a reliable source.

Me too.

But flying first class to a Wall Street protest?
    Gets called a name and screams "assault"?
    Describes herself as "verbally and emotionally raped" after being called a name?

Who would admit to that in an article?

maybe
    newport2 wrote: »
    Me too.

But flying first class to a Wall Street protest?
    Gets called a name and screams "assault"?
    Describes herself as "verbally and emotionally raped" after being called a name?

Who would admit to that in an article?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it were true. It's no stretch of the imagination at all for me to believe it. A lot of these US extreme feminists make no secret of their hatred for men and their desperation to paint themselves as victims. There's also the prevailing opinion in the US that everyone who's wealthy earned it and deserves it so her flying first class to OWS isn't shocking at all. Ridiculous but not shocking.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it were true. It's no stretch of the imagination at all for me to believe it. A lot of these US extreme feminists make no secret of their hatred for men and their desperation to paint themselves as victims. There's also the prevailing opinion in the US that everyone who's wealthy earned it and deserves it so her flying first class to OWS isn't shocking at all. Ridiculous but not shocking.

I think someone like that would have written it differently.

For instance:

"I was assaulted by the man sitting next to me on the plane"

instead of

"The man sitting next to me on the plane called me a name so I shouted ASSAULT!! When the airhostess rushed over and I admitted I had been lying, no action was taken"

Sounds to me like it's written to purposely make her sound as stupid as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement