Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Now that's when abortion becomes murder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I was expecting lots of emotionally loaded language, questionable statistics and dubious interpretation of same in that. It certainly didn't disappoint on that score. The worrying thing is when you can trace the links in it back to papers that are referencing stuff like the Koss study in the eighties as though that has any credibility.

Kind of worrying how papers like the guardian seem to want to be the cheerleaders for importing a lot of the bat **** crazy US college stuff into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

tritium wrote: »
    I was expecting lots of emotionally loaded language, questionable statistics and dubious interpretation of same in that. It certainly didn't disappoint on that score. The worrying thing is when you can trace the links in it back to papers that are referencing stuff like the Koss study in the eighties as though that has any credibility.

Kind of worrying how papers like the guardian seem to want to be the cheerleaders for importing a lot of the bat **** crazy US college stuff into Europe.
    You should always read the comments under a Valenti article, she gets absolutely torn to shreds. I'm sure the Guardian only publish her as a wind up merchant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Henry9 wrote: »
    You should always read the comments under a Valenti article, she gets absolutely torn to shreds. I'm sure the Guardian only publish her as a wind up merchant.

It's good to be reminded that the Guardian's readers are more often than not smarter than their "columnists".

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

No
    Henry9 wrote: »

She has plenty of supporters on there too, about 50/50 in my book. She is a dangerous woman imo. She knows exactly what she is doing when she presents false or debunked statistics but she does it anyway to make her misandrist points. I used to like the Guardian but in recent years I just cant bear to read it knowing they provide people like Valenti with a platform to spread their vitriol. The independent (uk) has gone down the same road too and I can only assume they allow it because its great clickbait for the website which helps generate advertising revenues.

maybe
    Playboy wrote: »
    She has plenty of supporters on there too, about 50/50 in my book. She is a dangerous woman imo. She knows exactly what she is doing when she presents false or debunked statistics but she does it anyway to make her misandrist points. I used to like the Guardian but in recent years I just cant bear to read it knowing they provide people like Valenti with a platform to spread their vitriol. The independent (uk) has gone down the same road too and I can only assume they allow it because its great clickbait for the website which helps generate advertising revenues.

I was never too keen a reader of the Independent but it looks like there's been a drop in quality there as well. Valenti works for the Guardian US according to Wikipedia so the bile she comes out with isn't surprising. I used to have a very high opinion of the paper and was even considering subscribing to help it stay paywall free at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

I haven't counted but it always seems the comments are very anti Valenti. There's always a few supporters and some of those 'the comments prove the need for feminism' types. Plus her comments sections are always very heavily moderated, there's a huge number deleted.
    I'd say she's more a figure of fun amongst the online readership.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Your username captures it all...

That's utterly terrifying stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok the last time maybe there was alot of other news that buried the kidnapping but this time there will surely be international outrage. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-31567130

Waiting with bated breath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Seriously? wrote: »

Hope he sues them for a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    This is a particularly sad case. Another case of a false accusation resulting in spending a year on bail, vigilante attacks and miscarriage due to one attack.

Who was it that said such accusations are not a big deal and that only a few guys might get unfriended on Facebook?

The perpetrator got 20 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

maybe
    "Yet men will only stop killing, raping, injuring and oppressing women if they change."

I've a very high opinion of Owen Jones and it's really depressing to see his work drop to this sort of US third wave feminist drivel.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/24/men-women-masculinity-feminism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

psinno wrote: »
    Yes, an example of one sort of problem that can arise when one treats male teenagers as sex offenders for having "consensual" sex with teenagers of a similar age.

Could happen in Ireland also.
    Romeo and Juliet clauses could help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rape#Romeo_and_Juliet_laws

ETA: But it also illustrates a possible problem with false accusations more generally as you say.

maybe
    B-oltXMUAAA8zse.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

B-oltXMUAAA8zse.jpg

Not sure this is quite discrimination. I think there's just differing ages for men and women to qualify for this ( whole separate question there, that's being addressed after a lot of campaigning) and so this birth date wouldn't apply to men

maybe
    I think I may have jumped the gun here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The Hotels Combined ad again shows a man out to be a complete idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

naughtb4 wrote: »

That ad is the most annoying one running at the moment, I'm switching over from Sky Sports when it's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

naughtb4 wrote: »

A friend of a friend was tasked with booking a room for a few nights during the Galway Races a few years ago. He booked it for the week after the Races...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

A friend of a friend was tasked with booking a room for a few nights during the Galway Races a few years ago. He booked it for the week after the Races...
    So because your friend did something idiotic, all men are idiotic? That's awful logic.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    So because your friend did something idiotic, all men are idiotic? That's awful logic.

An elected woman in our Dail drove her car down the concrete steps outside right in front of the press afterwards, therefore it's ok to make ads implying all women are terrible drivers? Eh, no...

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

Yes, that is 'awful logic' and you should not use it again.

How did you come to the conclusion that the man in the Ad represents all men?

• Advertisement

maybe

Is he the only one in the ad? Does he need his attractive, intelligent and independent wife/partner to handle this for him?

Is he the only one in the ad? Does he need his attractive, intelligent and independent wife/partner to handle this for him?

He can afford to fill their living room with PC's that he knows how to operate: that suggests financially viable and technologically intelligent. He also goes through multiple sites to find the best deal: that shows prudence, persistence and critical evaluation.

He can afford to fill their living room with PC's that he knows how to operate: that suggests financially viable and technologically intelligent. He also goes through multiple sites to find the best deal: that shows prudence, persistence and critical evaluation.

You can come up whatever indirect explanations you want to justify it, but why doesn't that work when women are portrayed like this in ads? Because they aren't. The ad's message is "Man stupid, woman clever", rinse and repeat, ad after ad. I get it, the white male is the only group in society that it's acceptable to rip the p1ss out of and ridicule without consequence. It just gets annoying after a while. It also cannot be good for young boys growing up to be consistantly being indirectly told how stupid they are, useless around the house, can't handle children, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Ill have to look up where I read it but women make up 80% of overall spending so many products are aimed or marketed at women.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Ill have to look up where I read it but woman make up 80% of overall spending so many products are aimed at women.

Yes I get that. But if things turned it wouldn't be acceptable to ridicule women just because your target market was made up of men. Nor should it be.

• Advertisement

newport2 wrote: »
    You can come up whatever indirect explanations you want to justify it, but why doesn't that work when women are portrayed like this in ads? Because they aren't. The ad's message is "Man stupid, woman clever", rinse and repeat, ad after ad. I get it, the white male is the only group in society that it's acceptable to rip the p1ss out of and ridicule without consequence. It just gets annoying after a while. It also cannot be good for young boys growing up to be consistantly being indirectly told how stupid they are, useless around the house, can't handle children, etc.

Sadly the white male is being ridiculed by other white males by and large, since that's the demographic that makes up the very vast majority of ad agency creative directors.

Candie wrote: »
    Sadly the white male is being ridiculed by other white males by and large, since that's the demographic that makes up the very vast majority of ad agency creative directors.

I'd like to see stats on the breakdown of people in advertising, I find it hard to buy they're all white men.

Besides, I don't really get your point. If some social group is being treated badly by people of the same social group they should just suck it up? They've only themselves to blame because they share a common trait with their abusers?

I'd like to see stats on the breakdown of people in advertising, I find it hard to buy they're all white men.

Besides, I don't really get your point. If some social group is being treated badly by people of the same social group they should just suck it up? They've only themselves to blame because they share a common trait with their abusers?

I read it here:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3006255/where-are-all-women-creative-directors
    Every once in a while at Fast Company, we come across a statistic so counterintuitive, we need to investigate further. Like this one: Despite the fact that women control 80% of consumer spending, only 3% of creative directors (and we're not talking about celebrity CDs) are female.

I'm not saying anyone should suck it up, just that it might be harder to have objections heard by one's own gender, something I suspect happens from time to time from my own experience. There's a large contingent of men who would have the attitude that it's very trivial to be upset about male portrayal in advertising, which perhaps mutes the voices of those who feel otherwise.

The problem with lazy ads is that when they're used in the same way for so long, it's assumed they work. I'm pretty sure women don't buy Flash because men 'can't' wash floors, they buy it because they need floor cleaner and Flash is mentioned often enough to be a brand that sticks in the mind. Perhaps that translates to the adverts working and the CD's are reluctant to break what they see is a winning formula.

maybe
    I'd like to see stats on the breakdown of people in advertising, I find it hard to buy they're all white men. =

The ones calling the shots will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I never said it did though did I? But when multiple ads are making men seem like idiots and women seem like the clever ones, you have to say there is a hint of "we think all men are idiots". Ad ideas don't come from thin air, they are taken from the perspective of what society believe at the time.
    What has that got to do with sexism? How do we know he isn't after wasting a shed load of money on it and putting them into debt just to find a hotel? Why would he go through all that effort when there is something easier? It does portray him as stupid.
    Citation please. And I mean a proper citation, not an article that does not have a link to a peer-reviewed paper, you know, the sign that the statistic isn't just being pulled from the person making the claims ass! And sexual stereotypes can be thought of by both genders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I read it here:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3006255/where-are-all-women-creative-directors

I'm not saying anyone should suck it up, just that it might be harder to have objections heard by one's own gender, something I suspect happens from time to time from my own experience. There's a large contingent of men who would have the attitude that it's very trivial to be upset about male portrayal in advertising, which perhaps mutes the voices of those who feel otherwise.

The problem with lazy ads is that when they're used in the same way for so long, it's assumed they work. I'm pretty sure women don't buy Flash because men 'can't' wash floors, they buy it because they need floor cleaner and Flash is mentioned often enough to be a brand that sticks in the mind. Perhaps that translates to the adverts working and the CD's are reluctant to break what they see is a winning formula.

I've heard before that women are more likely to act collectively as a group for what’s best for women where men are far less likely to and more likely to act in their own interest rather than what’s best for other men. It's supposedly rooted in mating where men compete against other men. I would say that feminist action groups looking for things to campaign against today would be a pretty big disincentive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

No
    It's been said before but I'll say it again, it's not necessarily the portrayal of men as idiots that bothers me personally,(although I am pretty tired of it, but I'm tired of ads & crappy movies in general so..) it's the general acceptance of it with many other people when these same people would be much more critical were the genders reversed.

I saw this on facebook the other day and I think it illuminates perfectly the kind of attitude I'm talking about:

Capfdfdsre.jpg

It's simply not taboo to talk this way about men, but it is about women. Whether or not it should be taboo is another question. Perhaps we can all have a joke at each others expense every now and again without getting our pitchforks out?

The point is though, that there's a glaring double standard.

No

Where possible people really should use stats for the country they actually live in, that are relevant to the culture being discussed.

http://iapi.ie/census/

The ones calling the shots will be.

I expect the ones in boardrooms might be, but they don't decide on the details of ad contents. Considering about 80% of advertising is aimed at women, I find it hard to believe that a lot of the people involved in what to target them with are not women.

maybe
    I expect the ones in boardrooms might be, but they don't decide on the details of ad contents. Considering about 80% of advertising is aimed at women, I find it hard to believe that a lot of the people involved in what to target them with are not women.

I'm not sure about that. Responsibility will ultimately fall to the executives. It's not an area I'm well versed in so I could well be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I'm not sure about that. Responsibility will ultimately fall to the executives. It's not an area I'm well versed in so I could well be wrong.

Responsibility yes, direct input is far less likely though. Executives rarely make such direct decisions as they leave that up to the managers below them which the executive is responsible for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    I've had some dealings with advertising/marketing people over the years and in that small experience I found there are slightly more women involved(higher again in marketing) and at all levels too. Dunno how that translates to the real world mind you.

I would reckon that this double standard while irritating is more about the audience targeted. Women are far more targeted by advertising than men. So this "you go guuurll" and "men are so silly tee hee" stuff comes out of that. If anything it's a worse reflection on how advertisers see women. They're consciously or not seen as malleable and easily swayed by such tropes, even gullible. I mean when anti wrinkle cream and diet cereals are being advertised by 16 year old models and hair products are advertised by women wearing hair extensions that kinda says it all. I mean you wouldn't use William Shatner as a spokesman for shampoo for men, but they had Cheryl Cole fronting hair dye ads with a head full of other women's hair. Women's advertising is more than a little surreal, so TBH I can't really take the "men are so silly" cliches too seriously.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...so TBH I can't really take the "men are so silly" cliches too seriously.

I don't take it too seriously or find it offensive, I just find double-standards annoying. That and it genuinely does concern me about the effect this has on boys consistently seeing men portrayed as idiots.

maybe
    It's an industry I've a huge amount of contempt for in general. All it seems to do is to corrupt the media and damage enjoyment. It makes TV and radio free but look at what's on compared to subscription channels like HBO in the US.

Regarding men, it's so commonplace that I don't get upset anymore about it. If I say something I'll just get told to "man up". Thank Christ for Adblock Plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    Not sure if this should be in this thread or in the Children with two fathers thread, but Alan Shatter was on Pat Kenny tearing Frances Fitzgeralds Children and Family Bill apart. He was asking how come certain protections for fathers he had put in when he was Minister for Justice have now been taken out? Things like measures forcing recalcitrant parents to abide by court orders on access etc by giving them community service or fines. Of course, as this will impact women moreso than men, Frances Fitzgerald has taken them out.

Even Collette Browne in the indo highlighted the lack of rights that unmarried fathers have. Especially with Regards to the guardianship for unmarried fathers. She has ignored the Law Reform Commissions rulings in 1982 and 2010 saying that automatic guardianship for fathers should happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would reckon that this double standard while irritating is more about the audience targeted. Women are far more targeted by advertising than men. So this "you go guuurll" and "men are so silly tee hee" stuff comes out of that. If anything it's a worse reflection on how advertisers see women. They're consciously or not seen as malleable and easily swayed by such tropes, even gullible.
    If there were ads that were aimed mainly at white people which had particular groups e.g. black people, Asian people or whatever, looking bad, it might mean one thinks white people are malleable/gullible/whatever but the primary problem is that the it makes black people/Asian people/whatever look bad.

I don't like how sexism against men is sometimes turned around that it is really sexism against women.

No
    I think advertising inherently assumes that people are malleable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There is a thread in the work forum about Executive Officer positions in the civil service, the first stage of the process was an aptitude/personality test with:
    Online Questionnaire
    Verbal Reasoning
    Numerical Reasoning

There is a minimum "pass" score that has to be achieved in all three tests yet when the marks are added up to determine Order of Merit, Numerical Reasoning is left out. Posters in the thread are saying that this is to favour female applicants.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94460880&postcount=633

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No
    I was directly affected by that Brian. I got 526/800 in the questionnaire, 643/800 in the verbal reasoning and 760/800 in the numerical reasoning.

So I'm at a huge disadvantage as theyre not considering my numerical reasoning score, because males were more likely to have sat higher level maths.

Even the pass rate for numerical reasoning was the lowest of the three tests. You only had to get 238/800 to pass the numerical reasoning, meaning that people who scored more than 3 times lower than myself were placed higher in the order of merit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have heard that so often now that I fear it is true

Advertisement