Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    Is that it?

Seems a little simplistic....

I think her age will probably play against her. She would be the second oldest president elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

She'll have good financial support which will help and she is big business friendly but her gender politics may bite her in the ass. She gave a speech where she claimed women were the real victims of war as they are left behind. The real victims of war are the ones that die not those left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Potatoeman wrote: »
    She'll have good financial support which will help and she is big business friendly but her gender politics may bite her in the ass. She gave a speech where she claimed women were the real victims of war as they are left behind. The real victims of war are the ones that die not those left behind.

She also forget to mention the brothers/fathers/uncles/grandfathers that are 'left behind' too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lemming wrote: »
    Summed up as; "Crazy professor writes book full of sh1t; Daily mail makes sensationalist headlines".

On a more "oh dear" note: Clinton to make gender issue key to presidential bid.

Can't wait to see the incorrect statistics such as the gender pay gap stated as fact during an actual presidential bid. Obama's even already said it. Crazy stuff. Really never thought we'd see such lack of logic gather so much momentum in America. They're so easily manipulated they'll probably vote her in just on the basis of her being a female alone lol.

American presidential elections are all about 'my team vs their team' anyway, the voters are so narrow minded they attach themselves to one side and stick to following them regardless of whether their 'opposition' makes better points and arguments. It's played out like a sport to them.

Potatoeman wrote: »

Classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any one know if there is a gender paygap in US? We should bear in mind that USA is a much more traditional conservative society in many parts than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Any one know if there is a gender paygap in US? We should bear in mind that USA is a much more traditional conservative society in many parts than here.
    I think there is. But the gender pay gap generally reported involves comparing all the jobs men do and all the jobs women do which means one is comparing different jobs.

Also, pay is only one metric to measure jobs.
    If one looks at death rates, 92%/93% of deaths in the US are male (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_fatality). In Europe, it's 97%. The difference seemed to be that a non-negligible number of people are shot at work in the US. Anyway, the point of this is that to incentivise people to do more dangerous work, such jobs should pay better: otherwise people would choose the safer job. Men are in general more willing to take on dangerous jobs to get the extra pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

iptba wrote: »
    I think there is. But the gender pay gap generally reported involves comparing all the jobs men do and all the jobs women do which means one is comparing different jobs.

I understand that but we have credible sources that rubbish the pay gap here, I was just wondering if asnyone had a similar survey from the US

I understand that but we have credible sources that rubbish the pay gap here, I was just wondering if asnyone had a similar survey from the US

Here are some articles I have saved on my PC on the issue:
    77 cents on the dollar: An unequivocally bogus statistic
    Andrew Biggs | April 9, 2013, 1:24 pm
    https://www.aei.org/publication/77-cents-on-the-dollar-an-unequivocally-bogus-statistic/
    There Is No Male-Female Wage Gap

A study of single, childless urban workers between the ages of 22 and 30 found that women earned 8% more than men.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704415104576250672504707048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The second quote is hilarious...... ly bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Panthro wrote: »
    I don't know either party personally, but it looks like a sexism situation.
    I can't see a whole lot of difference between the two cases below, bar the punishment that is.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2359404/Revealed-The-dirty-text-messages-sent-teacher-24-pupil-16-week-affair-tattooed-body.html
    She "whisked him away for a romantic weekend break"..is that not abduction? She was spared jail while this guy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2351611/Abducted-girls-love-letter-jailed-teacher-Jeremy-Forrest-seized-barred-visiting-him.html

Well he gets 5 and a half years jail time.

Seems a bit odd I think.

Only getting up to date with this thread now, this is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nokotan wrote: »
    Only getting up to date with this thread now, this is mental.

The age gaps are different 24/16 and 30/15, but yea it's still a bit bizarre. Great Documentary on Netflix by Louis Theroux's "LA Stories: Among the Sex Offenders". In everyone interviewed there's only 1 female offender and again she's a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just to keep you all updated on my complaint to the LibDems regards hate-speech by their candidate for Yorkshire, Sarah Noble, I received an email from the Lib Dems regional media co-ordinator for Yorkshire & the Humber, Councillor John Fox, this evening:
    Dear Complainant

Further to your email complaining about comments made by Sarah Noble, the complaint was raised at the Regional Executive meeting on Saturday 4 April 2015. The Regional Executive decided to suspend Sarah Noble from the Regional Executive Committee to enable an investigation to be made into the statements. Senior Regional Officers will discuss your complaints with the Local Party who should investigate and decide on any future action.

Whilst writing, Sarah Noble’s right to Appeal against the Local Party’s decision will be referred to the Regional Party to process as the Party’s Constitution states.

We will keep you informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    Good to see they appear to be taking your complaint seriously.
    I really wasn't expecting a response like that.

We'll see. It reads impressive, but if the bottom line is that she's accepted back no questions asked next week with no attitude adjustment then the matter will never really have been taken seriously.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

py2006 wrote: »
    She also forget to mention the brothers/fathers/uncles/grandfathers that are 'left behind' too.

Also the female soldiers who are killed in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/trending/popup-shop-allows-women-to-pay-what-theyre-paid-for-equalpayday-31145471.html

Amazing how they can spin a business that discriminates against men by only stocking products made by women and by charging men a premium for the crime of possessing a Y chromosome into a positive thing... :rolleyes:

I would guess the UN figure is a worldwide figure which includes countries where women really suffer hardship. I notice they changed the terms of the statistic when describing the US figure.
    Clever abuse of statistics there.

I would guess the UN figure is a worldwide figure which includes countries where women really suffer hardship. I notice they changed the terms of the statistic when describing the US figure.
    Clever abuse of statistics there.
    Even the UN is sexist as it says that in war they will dave women and children. No mention about men…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Sleepy wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/trending/popup-shop-allows-women-to-pay-what-theyre-paid-for-equalpayday-31145471.html

Amazing how they can spin a business that discriminates against men by only stocking products made by women and by charging men a premium for the crime of possessing a Y chromosome into a positive thing... :rolleyes:

I wonder what the revelation discriminations are for charging people different prices for the same product?

I know events can get away with different prices in entrance fees but I would of assumed for a physical product changing the price depending upon who is buying it would be considered discrimination in law?

Just try bringing the case, you'd be a pariah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maguined wrote: »
    I wonder what the revelation discriminations are for charging people different prices for the same product?

I know events can get away with different prices in entrance fees but I would of assumed for a physical product changing the price depending upon who is buying it would be considered discrimination in law?
    Do they have to bring their pay slips with them? What a load of bollox.

The indo has started redacting their articles (at least for me); not sure if I need to register or use a VPN. Can anyone post a copy of that article please?

'Equal Pay Day' marks the day to which a woman would have to work to earn the same amount as a man in the same position for the previous financial year.

Women currently earn between 10 and 30% less than male counterparts in similar or the same roles, according to the UN Women - the United Nations agency for gender equality & women's empowerment.

Pennsylvanian woman Elana Schlenker has set up a pop-up shop to highlight this inequality by offering women the chance to 'pay what you're paid'.

Men who purchase items in the not-for-profit 'Less Than 100' shop will pay full price for the item, while women will pay the same percentage of the man's payment as they receive in their paychecks.

The pop-up is starting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and so will be charging women 76% of the full sale price, due to women in that State earning only 76 cents to a man's dollar.

Elana says:"‘It’s incredible how deeply unconscious biases still permeate the ways in which we perceive (and value) women versus men. I hope the shop’s pricing helps to underscore this inherent unfairness and to create space for people to consider why the wage gap still exists".

The pop-up shop will tour the country, and prices for women will reflect the wage gap in that State.

The shop is selling items created by independent female artists from across America.

The shop is not-for-profit and sells ceramics, textiles, publications, art prints, and stationery created by independent female artists and makers from across the US.

Online Editors

Here you go Lemming.

Here you go Lemming.

Ironically they are deciding what products women want. The usual stereotype schtuff.

Its not like men will want to shop there anyway so they are shooting themselves in the foot. Which seems to be a common occurrence among some feminists.

Ironically they are deciding what products women want. The usual stereotype schtuff.

Its not like men will want to shop there anyway so they are shooting themselves in the foot. Which seems to be a common occurrence among some feminists.

I think it will actually be the opposite in that there will be plenty of male feminists who will shop there to make a point and feel like they are contributing to a worthy cause. Since the mens increased price represents pure proft for them I think the shop will be kept in business mostly as a result of the dollars from the partiarchal privileged class.

Feminism profiting from patriarchy? I think the sky is falling.

I am not sure what I think of male feminists. The knee-jerk thought is some doormat pandering to whomever but I guess that would be unfair in all cases.

While any right thinking man would not like to see women discriminated or poorly treated it doesn't make them feminists. At least certainly not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sleepy wrote: »

I doubt that they'll bring their pop-up shop to war-torn Afghanistan or to the windswept oil platforms of the North Sea, in their nomadic quest to highlight inequality.

It's a bottle of smoke, really.

I am not sure what I think of male feminists. The knee-jerk thought is some doormat pandering to whomever but I guess that would be unfair in all cases.

While any right thinking man would not like to see women discriminated or poorly treated it doesn't make them feminists. At least certainly not me.
    Usually, it's the "right on" brigade who think it'll get them laid in college and either never grow out of it or end up believing the propaganda (kind of like communists and Shinners ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe
    http://www.mobilelikez.com/funny/mom-threw-naked-twister-party-for-teenage-daughter-and-had-sex-with-her-boyfriend/?uid=newtrends

I've a stra he feeling had this been a male the story would be written rather differently!

• Advertisement

People call themselves feminists and say they believe in equality but wouldnt that make them egalitarian. Feminism in action is about womens rights not equality. That said how many people are truely egalitarian either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

i dont know if this is the right place for this link ,but sure the mods can move it,it makes for great reading ..

im not quite sure that id buy the book ,might have a loook and see in waterstones next week ,do a flick through and report back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044380/The-denigration-men-Ridiculed-abused-exploited-triumph-feminism-today-s-men-second-class-citizens-argues-deliciously-provocative-new-book-s-time-chaps-fought-back.html

The myth about women in science

By Wendy M. Williams and Stephen J. Ceci

Updated 2202 GMT (0502 HKT) April 13, 2015
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/13/opinions/williams-ceci-women-in-science

They found that female scientists have a significantly higher chance of being interviewed and hired than men

I like this sort of gender research: vary the gender and keep everything else the same (along with making comparisons where that look at interaction effects of more than one variable including gender).

I'm not an expert on gender research but don't get the impression there is as much of it as there could be.

For people who want more of the details of the research itself
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/04/08/1418878112.abstract

It's an open access paper i.e. the full text is free here: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/04/08/1418878112.full.pdf
    National hiring experiments reveal 2:1 faculty preference for women on STEM tenure track

Wendy M. Williams1 and Stephen J. Ceci
    Significance

The underrepresentation of women in academic science is typically attributed, both in scientific literature and in the media, to sexist hiring.

Here we report five hiring experiments in which faculty evaluated hypothetical female and male applicants, using systematically varied profiles disguising identical scholarship, for assistant professorships in biology, engineering, economics, and psychology.

Contrary to prevailing assumptions, men and women faculty members from all four fields preferred female applicants 2:1 over identically qualified males with matching lifestyles (single, married, divorced), with the exception of male economists, who showed no gender preference.

Comparing different lifestyles revealed that women preferred divorced mothers to married fathers and that men preferred mothers who took parental leaves to mothers who did not.

Our findings, supported by real-world academic hiring data, suggest advantages for women launching academic science careers.
    Abstract

National randomized experiments and validation studies were conducted on 873 tenure-track faculty (439 male, 434 female) from biology, engineering, economics, and psychology at 371 universities/colleges from 50 US states and the District of Columbia.

In the main experiment, 363 faculty members evaluated narrative summaries describing hypothetical female and male applicants for tenure-track assistant professorships who shared the same lifestyle (e.g., single without children, married with children).

Applicants' profiles were systematically varied to disguise identically rated scholarship; profiles were counterbalanced by gender across faculty to enable between-faculty comparisons of hiring preferences for identically qualified women versus men.

Results revealed a 2:1 preference for women by faculty of both genders across both math-intensive and non–math-intensive fields, with the single exception of male economists, who showed no gender preference.

Results were replicated using weighted analyses to control for national sample characteristics.

In follow-up experiments, 144 faculty evaluated competing applicants with differing lifestyles (e.g., divorced mother vs. married father), and 204 faculty compared same-gender candidates with children, but differing in whether they took 1-y-parental leaves in graduate school.

Women preferred divorced mothers to married fathers; men preferred mothers who took leaves to mothers who did not.

In two validation studies, 35 engineering faculty provided rankings using full curricula vitae instead of narratives, and 127 faculty rated one applicant rather than choosing from a mixed-gender group; the same preference for women was shown by faculty of both genders.

These results suggest it is a propitious time for women launching careers in academic science. Messages to the contrary may discourage women from applying for STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) tenure-track assistant professorships.

gender bias
    hiring bias
    underrepresentation of women
    faculty hiring
    women in science

maybe
    White people, men 'banned' from diversity meeting at London Goldsmiths University

The organiser, Bahar Mustafa wrote on Facebook:
    “Invite loads of BME Women and non-binary people!! Also, if you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME just cos I invited a bunch of people and hope you will be responsible enough to respect this is a BME Women and non-binary event only.”

Absolutely appalling!

The and / or is confusing there. Does it mean that all white people (men and women) and all non white men are banned from the lecture?

• Advertisement

maybe
    Does it mean that all white people (men and women) and all non white men are banned from the lecture?
    Yes, men of any race and white women aren't welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

And the brat's response to the reaction this week is:

27F277DA00000578-3054067-image-m-2_1429886245674.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

No
    Hopefully, at some point in her life, a similar response to what she's offered here, will be given as a response to a genuine concern she has on a certain matter.

What a ridiculous, dismissive response to offer, yet when contacted for an official response:
    The Daily Mail tried to contact Miss Mustafa but she was not available to explain the comments apparently posted from her Facebook account.

Turning down an opportunity to speak to The Daily Mail was a wasted chance to express the student unions diversity message to a national wide audience. There must be hundreds of student union officers across the country that would of loved such an opportunity to reach out to so many people and be heard. I think she failed her duty as the welfare and diversity officer of the students union by declining this chance regardless of the fact I disagree with her stance.

I also like how she excludes white women but decides to only insult men. A self described feminist who does not care about (white) womens tears.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hopefully, at some point in her life, a similar response to what she's offered here, will be given as a response to a genuine concern she has on a certain matter.

What a ridiculous, dismissive response to offer, yet when contacted for an official response:

When you put this sort of thing out there with your name on it and it gets attention then it will follow you around and come back to haunt you. Cant imagine it being good in the long run.

• Advertisement

Au contrair, I'd imagine she'll end up in some similar position to the likes of Una Mullally or Ivanna Bacik in our own country. There seems to be endless tolerance for misandrists in political/media circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

I think we're seeing a slow turning of public opinion when it comes to SJWs and feminist campus activism. Increasingly the media in the states for example is starting to call colleges out on the infantilisation of their students.

This in turn is affecting the reputation of these institutions as seats of learning, hence moves like the following to try and silence those highlighting the behaviour of their charges.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/04/georgetown-demands-edits-to-christina-hoff-sommers-video/#comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    And the brat's response to the reaction this week is:
    Colour me cynical, but I doubt she's ever had much hassle as a "black" woman, she's paler than I am. And that's saying something.

And what in god's name is "non binary"? the ever increasing levels of BS from this political movement is really becoming ridiculous. On the one hand they claim to decry labels, yet they have a label for every damn thing. All they do is label people in ever more daft ways.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Colour me cynical, but I doubt she's ever had much hassle as a "black" woman, she's paler than I am. And that's saying something.

And what in god's name is "non binary"? the ever increasing levels of BS from this political movement is really becoming ridiculous. On the one hand they claim to decry labels, yet they have a label for every damn thing. All they do is label people in ever more daft ways.

Non-binary are people who do not identify as simply male or female. You get it a lot on tumbler where people list the pronouns they want to be refered to such as xe/xem/xyr/xemself. Failure to use their prefered pronouns normally results in you being labelled a bigot despite as you say the fact that labels are bad.

http://destroythecistem.tumblr.com/pronouns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

No
    Non-binary are people who do not identify as simply male or female. You get it a lot on tumbler where people list the pronouns they want to be refered to such as xe/xem/xyr/xemself. Failure to use their prefered pronouns normally results in you being labelled a bigot despite as you say the fact that labels are bad.

I felt like I was on acid trying to figure out that site

I find this attempted redefining of the English language incredibly strange tbqh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's a pisstake, right? Somebody collecting and listing all of these pronouns, so we can have a good giggle about it, right? Please say so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No
    seamus wrote: »
    That's a pisstake, right? Somebody collecting and listing all of these pronouns, so we can have a good giggle about it, right? Please say so :(

Speak for squeakself :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    One of the several dozen "gender" options available on Facebook. If you search for "why does Facebook only offer me Male/Female?" the stuff is good, people suggesting that it should be "pronoun preference" rather than "male/female/other" and the like.
    Nah. There's also "otherkin" and "headkin". It's all a bit eh, well, not really much can be said about it.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction

Seriously? wrote: »
    I think we're seeing a slow turning of public opinion when it comes to SJWs and feminist campus activism. Increasingly the media in the states for example is starting to call colleges out on the infantilisation of their students.

This in turn is affecting the reputation of these institutions as seats of learning, hence moves like the following to try and silence those highlighting the behaviour of their charges.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/04/georgetown-demands-edits-to-christina-hoff-sommers-video/#comments

There is a reddit sub forum called stormfront or SJW where you post a caption from a post and blank the race or gender then people have to guess if its a nazi or a SJW.

I think the person collecting them are doing it as a piss take but the tumblr pages that were collated from are genuine and serious.
    One of the several dozen "gender" options available on Facebook. If you search for "why does Facebook only offer me Male/Female?" the stuff is good, people suggesting that it should be "pronoun preference" rather than "male/female/other" and the like.

Nah. There's also "otherkin" and "headkin". It's all a bit eh, well, not really much can be said about it.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction

Is headkin the same thing as a system?(sorry can't access reddit in work) I remember reading about personality systems which is basically tumblr kids self diagnosing themselves as having multiple personality disorder except they do not consider it disorder but that they have genuine other personalities all co-habitating the one body. They don't care if some of these personalities are fictional or mythical like saying Luke Skywalker is one of your systems personalities and again label anyone that says this cannot be is just a bigot.

The real problem with these people is they are so concerned with forcing everyone else to believe in their fantasy and demanding it be recognised as real that it has led to some very negative situations where someone genuinely suffering from multiple personality disorder is encouraged to refuse to attend professional help for their condition as these tumblr kiddies tell them they are beautiful the way they are and don't need "help".

• Advertisement
Advertisement