Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nephew on census records

• 05-03-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, would the relationships of 'nephew' or 'cousins' have been used loosely on the census records? My G Grandfather was born in ivy terrace Derry in 1892 to a samuel Edgar and Annie Burke. I have found him in the 1901 census and again in the 1911 census. He is living in Charles Street Sligo. On the 1911 census his relationship to the head of house (Marion Poe) is nephew. I have tried and tried to find a connection between the Edgars and the poes and I can't. In the 1901 census he is simply down as 'visitor'. I cannot find where his siblings or his parents where during both census records either nor can I see death records for them. Could it be that he wasn't really their nephew?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definitely would have been used more loosely than it is today. Could have been some generations separated rather than one.

There would really have to be some link for a 9 year old to be living somewhere else even in 1901 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Elizabetha wrote: »
    My G Grandfather was born in ivy terrace Derry in 1892 to a samuel Edgar and Annie Burke.
    Odd that he was born out of wedlock. What surname was he given?
    Elizabetha wrote: »
    On the 1911 census his relationship to the head of house (Marion Poe) is nephew.
    Instead of a link between the Edgars and the Poes, maybe look for a link between the Burkes and the Poes? Looking at the recent Magdalen Laundries thread, it seems that sometimes children born out of wedlock were raised by relations. Would it be possible that this happened here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

the_syco wrote: »
    ... a link between the Edgars and the Poes...
    Sorry. Can't resist. Allan.

Not much help to OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Was wondering who would be first to mention allen, lol @ P.Breathnach......

@ the syco..Samuel and Annie were married and had other children, I can't find samuel, annie or the other children. I have tried to connect the Poes with the burkes too but have had no luck with that. I think there are only something like 25 Poes in Ireland in the 1901 census so it shouldn't be so hard to connect them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Wow, thanks the syco, I think that may very well be my samuel and annie!

Advertisement