Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do our results need to "fit the curve"?

• 05-03-2013 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

This infuriates me every time it comes up.
    There can only be a certain number of A's, B's etc. If you're borderline 85%, they'll bring you down. If you're 35%, they'll go back and mark you easier to bring you up. (In particular with project maths).

Why do they feel the need to manipulate the results?
    Why can't we have an honest, consistent result system and cut the bs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I think mainly its because exams one year can't be seen as having been 'easier' than a previous year so results have to be kept consistent or something along those lines,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Glee GG said it.
    It's so a LC one year isn't considered any more valuable than the LC of another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Just get your exams rechecked and then if you got 85% and they brought you down to a B1, you'll go up to an A2.

That's why it's important to go through your scripts! We can't trust the SEC not to be robbing us of marks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Bit late though if you don't get your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Those evil bastards are ****ing with us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I hate that too..I wanna get what I actually got, not some made up grade to fit in one of these:
    graph-1-01.jpg

It also affects exam difficulty. My JC Maths exam was markedly more difficult than the past two or three that I'd done in class.

I think you should sit an exam, get your result and that's it. **** all this bull****.

Advertisement