Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh yeast for baking

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for fresh yeast to bake with and just wondering if anyone has had any luck in any local shops finding it?
    I'm thinking Natures Gold, the health food shop might have it but haven't had a chance to check.
    Thought someone might know of somewhere?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

aev wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for fresh yeast to bake with and just wondering if anyone has had any luck in any local shops finding it?
    I'm thinking Natures Gold, the health food shop might have it but haven't had a chance to check.
    Thought someone might know of somewhere?
    Thanks

There may be help in this thread >>>http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55289720

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

In Galway I can get it in a local Polish or Russian shop. If you try any local ones.
    Great for pizza base too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Polish shops are good for fresh yeast.

I don't know if there's one closer to Greystones, but there's a big one in Bray, on the left just up the road off the Main St. where the furniture shop is (used to be a VW garage ages ago). It's called Drożdże in Polish and they sell it in small yellow foil wrapped 100g packs, in the fridge section.

http://www.polonez.ie/shops-location/bray.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

Thanks for all your help everyone. I will check out that place in Bray, sounds good.
    Thanks

aev wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help everyone. I will check out that place in Bray, sounds good.
    Thanks
    It's a deceptively big place inside, just like Dr. Who's Tardis :) I really only buy yeast there, and the occasional sausage, but I wish I had the courage to be a bit more adventurous and try some of the other things on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 masheener

I was on a search for fresh yeast last week for some pizza base. I picked up a big lump of it in a bakery in Kilcoole industrial estate. Way too much TBH. I've split it up and frozen it. Might be better going to the Polish shop if you're looking for a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Just in case You shop over there be sure to check the date.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Just in case You shop over there be sure to check the date.
    Yes, the stuff I've bought there hasn't had the longest use by date, so a good idea to check first. I'm not sure whether that's just that yeast has a very short shelf life or whether it's old stock, or a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

masheener wrote: »
    I was on a search for fresh yeast last week for some pizza base. I picked up a big lump of it in a bakery in Kilcoole industrial estate. Way too much TBH. I've split it up and frozen it. Might be better going to the Polish shop if you're looking for a small bit.

would it survive freezing?

whats the difference between using fresh yeast and the dried stuff (which I've always used for bread)?

loyatemu wrote: »
    would it survive freezing?
    Yep! Done it many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, the stuff I've bought there hasn't had the longest use by date, so a good idea to check first. I'm not sure whether that's just that yeast has a very short shelf life or whether it's old stock, or a combination of both.
    It's more the fault of amount stock which they order, to much for a such small shop
    It's a good habit in every store to check the date or take stuff from the back of shelf, especially on chill or vegie stuff.

Advertisement