Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber for Decking

• 05-03-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

My wife and I have decided to put down some timber decking. I will be installing it myself.

I live in NW of Ireland, it does nothing but rain. Decking in this part of the world gets greasy relatively quickly.
    I do not plan to stain the timber as it is approx 100 sq metres. Too much maintaince.

Could anybody recommend a timber that I could use that will weather well with no stain, and wont be susceptible to a greasy algae surface?

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Get composite decking, it will last forever and not wear.

Some look rubbish but one at Interbuild looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

what is price difference between the real and composite?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kboc wrote: »
    what is price difference between the real and composite?

Around 20 euro for a length of composite decking.......a length being 12 feet long.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bluedub63

Composite decks are way more expensive and are not a maintenance free product.
    You will get movement and they will get slippy. Guaranteed. The only way to keep a deck from getting slippy is quite simply to keep it clean.
    There is also a huge end of life issue with the composites which some people have an issue with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you are on a budget, I'd advise saving for a bit longer and try to get a cobble/paved area instead.

• Advertisement

Bluedub63 wrote: »
    Composite decks are way more expensive and are not a maintenance free product.
    You will get movement and they will get slippy. Guaranteed. The only way to keep a deck from getting slippy is quite simply to keep it clean.
    There is also a huge end of life issue with the composites which some people have an issue with.

But didnt you pay 6 euro per meter for a sticky back anti slip decking grip mat recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bluedub63

paddy147 wrote: »
    But didnt you pay 6 euro per meter for a sticky back anti slip decking grip mat recently?

What a weird comment. Yes, I spent the grand total of €48 to put anti slip strips on steps. What is the problem with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Bluedub63 wrote: »

What a weird comment. Yes, I spent the grand total of €48 to put anti slip strips on steps. What is the problem with that?

Larch is avery good timber for decking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

My wife and I have decided to put down some timber decking. I will be installing it myself.

I live in NW of Ireland, it does nothing but rain. Decking in this part of the world gets greasy relatively quickly.
    I do not plan to stain the timber as it is approx 100 sq metres. Too much maintaince.

Could anybody recommend a timber that I could use that will weather well with no stain, and wont be susceptible to a greasy algae surface?

Thanks
    K

I'm no expert :D but its wood and exposure to water will split it over time, and thats why partly why you stain it, to give it a seal against water.
    I was still having to stain it every year
    I gave up with mine and went with paving. Its a lot less hassle, plus rats etc cant live under there.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

which is the more expensive to buy, aggregate paving flags or timber decking

Thanks
    K

• Advertisement

which is the more expensive to buy, aggregate paving flags or timber decking

Thanks
    K

You will get flags for around 20-25 euro a square meter on the likes of Donedeal or the likes of a quarry/paving centre.

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/buildingmaterials/for-sale/Ireland/paving%20slabs?filter%28max_price%29=Max+Price&filter%28min_price%29=Min+Price&source=all

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/gardenplants/for-sale/Ireland/

Advertisement