Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pros and cons please help

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi all
    im really new to all this so would really appreciate any help. myself and my husband are thinking of moving from ireland to canada we have 1 toddler live in a rented house and live paycheque to paycheque so have a few questions for anyone who was brave enough to take the leap

1) do you regret leaving ireland for canada??

2) what you think are the pros and cons of making the leap?

3) do you have a better quality of life now ??

hope the questions arent too personal thank you so much for taking the time to read and hopefully ill get answers that will help with the major decision !!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

It can be a tough move away from family but so rewarding in the end. I am in Calgary since 2010 and lots of well paid jobs over here, great quality of life, free healthcare and amazing scenery everywhere. Alittle cold during the winters but no rain so you get used of it. Alot of things are much cheaper here. Canadians are really good people. Go for it.....you will love it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

irish10 wrote: »
    hi all
    im really new to all this so would really appreciate any help. myself and my husband are thinking of moving from ireland to canada we have 1 toddler live in a rented house and live paycheque to paycheque so have a few questions for anyone who was brave enough to take the leap

1) do you regret leaving ireland for canada??

2) what you think are the pros and cons of making the leap?

3) do you have a better quality of life now ??

hope the questions arent too personal thank you so much for taking the time to read and hopefully ill get answers that will help with the major decision !!:pac:

Moving anywhere as a family is a very different thing to a single person uping sticks and moving to a different country, so here are a few things to consider:

- you'll need to have enough money saved to cover your family's living expenses for a few months while you look for work, pay deposits on living accommodation, services and so on.

- Do you have good qualifications and marketable skills? Demand for unskilled labour is very fickle and for the long term welfare of your family you need something more.

- lack of support system, this is something you will miss at the start: people who can lend a helping hand, neighbor/family member to ick up little Johnny, if you fall sick or something. That kind of thing.

- Culture shock, this is a bigger issue for families than singles because you'll have to interact with it more, such as the school system, after school events and so on. How will you feel about your kids learning "God save the Queen" or hearing the Empire view of the Anglo-Irish war for instance?

Advertisement