Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to australia

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, myself and my partner are thinking of heading to australia january 2015 gives us alot of time to sort out things. We have a 3 yr old child too. was just wondering is it possible for us to go and what visa we would need to do so. We are both looking to work and send the child to school, My partner is a qualified childcare assistant and i have worked in sales for two and a half years, done bar work and have done labouring on building sites(i have a safe pass). Im just looking at our options at this stage because i dont know where to begin. Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Are you coming out on a working holiday visa? You need to get a white card in Australia to work on sites and there are also courses that you need to do to work in a bar...That could set you back $500 to $800 if you choose to do them.

Have a look on seek.com.au for jobs. Be on the look out to see if your partner can get sponsored perhaps?

2015 is a long while away so the job market may change.

If you could get some qualifications that would allow you to work in the mines in the meantime it might be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10 darylf

Are you coming out on a working holiday visa? You need to get a white card in Australia to work on sites and there are also courses that you need to do to work in a bar...That could set you back $500 to $800 if you choose to do them.

Have a look on seek.com.au for jobs. Be on the look out to see if your partner can get sponsored perhaps?

2015 is a long while away so the job market may change.

If you could get some qualifications that would allow you to work in the mines in the meantime it might be a good idea

Thanks for the info. Yes I am looking at a working holiday visa. Yes I be willing to do a course for white card be sort of a refresher for me.

Could you give me any info about the sort of qualifications id need for mines be much appreciated.

I'm only testing the water at the min to see if was worth our time going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You cannot come on a WHV with a child.
    You will need sponsorship or residency.

With bar work & labouring as your skills, probably won't qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

darylf wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Yes I am looking at a working holiday visa. Yes I be willing to do a course for white card be sort of a refresher for me.

Could you give me any info about the sort of qualifications id need for mines be much appreciated.

I'm only testing the water at the min to see if was worth our time going.

There is a huge amount of things going on up in the mines. So long that I would not know where to start. You would need to do something that would get allow you to work with only a years training back home. I don't know if things like that exist.

You should really only have this in your mind if you are coming with a child. Sponsorship for your partner and then through that for you. The ability for you to work in a normal job without restrictions the WHV brings is important

Perhaps look to places like Tasmania or Adelaide were less people are going? Maybe a better chance of sponsorship there?

Bottom line, the WHV is not a good idea if you are taking a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its going to be hard enough to get sponsorship from now on, emphasis is now on proving true skills and a return to labor market testing.

Employers, applicants and occupations are already being scrutinised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Julia Gillard certainly isn't endearing herself to any of us on a 457 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mandrake04 wrote: »

Employers, applicants and occupations are already being scrutinised.

Do you know if they are going to be looking into past applications???

Might sort out some of the stupid claims people make about friends of friends getting [insert gossip here] once and for all. I still like the "self sponsorship" one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

hussey wrote: »
    You cannot come on a WHV with a child.
    You will need sponsorship or residency.

With bar work & labouring as your skills, probably won't qualify

Does anyone know if his misses would qualify ?

No6 wrote: »
    Julia Gillard certainly isn't endearing herself to any of us on a 457 at the moment.

Whats Gillard up to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ifeelill wrote: »
    Whats Gillard up to ?

She was canvassing in western Sydney. And when speaking to people (who I assume we're unemployed) she naffed comments along the lines on.

"Jobs for hardworking Australians are being taken by immigrants on 457 visas. This is a terrible system that was set up when the opposition was in power. My government will fix this for your future"

First if all lets get the ridiculous out of the way. Julia Gillard is an immigrant herself. She was burn in Wales and only actually gave up her British citizenship in 1998.

There's a perceived anger in the west towards the increased influx of asylum seekers. Her comments are complete propaganda aimed at feeding on this anger.
    The idea that people on 457s are taking the jobs of Australians is, frankly, ridiculous, as anybody who understands the process will know. It's worth pointing out that it was a requirement that the business couldn't find a local employee before a 457 became a option. This condition was removed only recently, by Guillard's Labour government.

At this stage her own supporters have criticised the comments, as has the business world, both of whom know that 457s and immigration are hugely important to Australia. Ultimately, the comments will amount to nothing, and they never intended to. 457s will continue with small changes just like every other year. Business continues as usual. It's pretty embarrassing that a member of public office would use xenophobia as a canvassing tool, especially the PM. But that's all it was, a poor attempt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Mellor wrote: »

She was canvassing in western Sydney. And when speaking to people (who I assume we're unemployed) she naffed comments along the lines on.

"Jobs for hardworking Australians are being taken by immigrants on 457 visas. This is a terrible system that was set up when the opposition was in power. My government will fix this for your future"

First if all lets get the ridiculous out of the way. Julia Gillard is an immigrant herself. She was burn in Wales and only actually gave up her British citizenship in 1998.

There's a perceived anger in the west towards the increased influx of asylum seekers. Her comments are complete propaganda aimed at feeding on this anger.
    The idea that people on 457s are taking the jobs of Australians is, frankly, ridiculous, as anybody who understands the process will know. It's worth pointing out that it was a requirement that the business couldn't find a local employee before a 457 became a option. This condition was removed only recently, by Guillard's Labour government.

At this stage her own supporters have criticised the comments, as has the business world, both of whom know that 457s and immigration are hugely important to Australia. Ultimately, the comments will amount to nothing, and they never intended to. 457s will continue with small changes just like every other year. Business continues as usual. It's pretty embarrassing that a member of public office would use xenophobia as a canvassing tool, especially the PM. But that's all it was, a poor attempt too.

Yep, plus its always easy to slate a group of people who have no vote in election campaign to try and placate a bunch of braindead, lazy bogans who can't get a job cause they are allergic to work.

6 months of this gutter political campaigning is gonna be bloody torturous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Without meaning to derail the thread I believe her comments were taken out of context. She was referring to instances where employers have sponsored people on 457s for a job that was completely different to the one that the visa was granted for, therefore cutting Australians out of more entry level roles. Which was not really what the visa was intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Firstly mods, feel free to split to a new thread.
    messymess wrote: »
    Without meaning to derail the thread I believe her comments were taken out of context.
    I don't believe they were. It's not just a single comment either, her whole speech ran due the 457 program.

"...I understand that there are too many times when people have the skills to get the job and they don't get the job.
    In those circumstances I want to make sure that Australian workers are coming first"

She is suggesting that a local applied for a job and lost out to somebody who then needed a 457 visa. I don't believe her. Either they couldn't find a local suitable/willing to take the job, and then went for 457, or they looked directly at 457s (for what ever reason). But there's no way they found somebody equally suitable, and turned them down and decided that a few months wait plus a higher cost was a better option.

And as I said above, the fact is her government changed the condition that related to looking locally first, which undermines everything she said.
    She was referring to instances where employers have sponsored people on 457s for a job that was completely different to the one that the visa was granted for, therefore cutting Australians out of more entry level roles. Which was not really what the visa was intended for.
    None if her comments suggest that is what she was talking about imo.
    What do you mean when you say "completely different". The CSOL in a finite list, not every job description fits in neatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Her comments strike me as a poorly judged attempt at populist electioneering.

The backlash from the opposition and from the media has surprised me. ALP are heavy outsiders to get re-elected in September so I would not be worrying too much about what Gillard has to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I hope this one runs a bit TBH. It's got the makings of a Simpsons episode in it yet. :pac:

I don't think Julia realises that the long term unemployed will not be voting for her now, they spend more time thinking how to avoid work than actually doing it and they won't like the core idea of her [rabble rabble] speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Thread is about moving to Oz, not the pros and cons of changes to the 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod I agree, let's leave the 457 changes out and you can post to here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83592041#post83592041
    and let's leave it moving to Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

darylf wrote: »
    Hi, myself and my partner are thinking of heading to australia january 2015 gives us alot of time to sort out things. We have a 3 yr old child too. was just wondering is it possible for us to go and what visa we would need to do so. We are both looking to work and send the child to school, My partner is a qualified childcare assistant and i have worked in sales for two and a half years, done bar work and have done labouring on building sites(i have a safe pass). Im just looking at our options at this stage because i dont know where to begin. Thanks in advance for your help

Like has been said here, getting a visa to stay in oz (excluding the Working Holiday one, which is of no use to your situation really) is going to become more difficult but there are ways of making it happen.

The one I took was to head out to the countryside. It's not an option most people coming over here can stomach but it has worked out well for me and I've enjoyed my time seeing a side of oz most Irish have ignored IMO. The benefit is that they struggle for good workers and even with changes to the 457 visa work visa's outside of the cities will not decrease.

Like I said it's not for everybody but it's most definitely the easiest way to get stay in oz. Was here 6 months in the countryside and got permanent residency so it can work well.

Advertisement