Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belly to 5K

• 05-03-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am an extremely unfit, lazy person. Both of my parents are overweight, and as I'm leaving my teens (I'm 23) I'm realising that it's not as easy to maintain my weight and continue to eat kebabs every week, so I figured I need to learn to love exercise while I'm still young enough to make it a part of my life.

I'm 5'4", a little under 55 kg (I am a lady), and I can run about three minutes before feeling like dying. September 2011 I started doing belly dancing as a way to introduce SOME FORM of physical activity into my life, but about an hour a week was all I was getting (up until now).

Today is the second day of my C25K training. Already off to a bad start, as I started last Tuesday and haven't been back to it until today, so I'm hoping having a log will motivate me. Been using the RunDouble app on my smartphone.

GOALS:
    - 5K in or around 30 minutes
    - 52 kg
    - ENJOY RUNNING
    - Be able to go on a light run with my super in-shape runner boyfriend

26 Feb
    60s running (9 km/hr); 90s walking (6 km/hr) x8
    Found this relatively easy. Was bold enough to run a bit beyond the 60s. Slight muscle soreness on my calves a few days post-run.

Didn't run the next few days due to recovering from final remnants of cold plus finishing my final year project (BSc Genetics).

5 March
    1 hr belly dancing (mostly practicing isolation, so only about 15 minutes getting my heart rate up)

60s running (9 km/hr); 90s walking (6 km/hr) x8
    WHY WAS THIS SO MUCH HARDER THIS TIME? Is it because I did VERY LIGHT belly dancing before hand, or was it those pints at the weekend?

Hoping to resume Thursday. Nice to meet all of you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Paeru

One day I will not be so lazy. Still going to the gym 1-2 times a week, which is an improvement, but not nearly where I wanted to be.

March 10
    Pushups x5
    Plank 30s
    Squats x20
    Mountain Climbs x20
    x3

Honestly could have done x4 without too much fuss. Will probably up it a bit next time.

March 13
    C25K:
    5 min walk warm up (6 km/hr)
    60s run (9 km/hr); 90s walk (6 km/hr) x8
    5 minute walk cool down (6 km/hr)

Easiest yet, not sure if it's a real improvement in fitness or just a fluke. We'll see next time I go running when I start my week two of C25K! (Pretty disappointing since I've been trying to do this for 3 weeks now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mattser

Don't be beating yourself up. It's only a couple of weeks. Important thing is you're getting off your backside. Keep it up. Report in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Started c25k training today and couldn't finish it, had 2 more 60sec jogs to do but had to stop. I;m glad that I even did it as I am very lazy and unfit.

I am 5ft 3 and need to loose a stone for definate, possibly more.
    I need to get fit.

Using the NHS podcast
    Anyone recommend any other useful apps for this?
    Also need a buddy if anyone interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

noah45 wrote: »
    Started c25k training today and couldn't finish it, had 2 more 60sec jogs to do but had to stop. I;m glad that I even did it as I am very lazy and unfit.

I am 5ft 3 and need to loose a stone for definate, possibly more.
    I need to get fit.

Using the NHS podcast
    Anyone recommend any other useful apps for this?
    Also need a buddy if anyone interested?

Best advice I ever got was to run slow. Even when you think you're going at barely more than a walking pace, run slower. Don't worry about distance at all, just concentrate on finishing the time.

Advertisement