Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War thunder

• 05-03-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Link: http://warthunder.com/
    Seen a video of this while I was browsing youtube, liked the look of it so gave it a download :)
    Such a fun game, would definitely reccomend it if yous havent downloaded it yet! Its free to play so why not ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

there was a topic on this a few weeks ago, gave it a try myself.. the biplanes are awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I was in the Beta for it and it's great fun but you really need to invest a few $$$ if you want to survive online. Going into battle without canons is a sure way to last about 2 minutes :)
    It's based on the il2/Birds of Prey engine so looks fantastic..very arcadey though. World of Tanks is a better game I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Something about the gameplay doesn't work for me. Too much of the combat consists of a tiny dot in the distance which then flicks past in a second. Plus a lack of variety in the maps. Though I guess those cricisms are inherent to aerial warfare and it's arcade style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

anyone else playing this?

I'm a lvl 7 german.lvl 3 british/lvl 2 jap/lvl 1 usa/russia

add me if you want to team up: DeKrieg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

When i started playing WThunder it harked me back to the good old C64 days, when I had this beauty;

Hammered War Thunder over the weekend. Much faster progression that in WOT (which i suppose is its closest f2p model game)

Absolutely loving the dog fights even with the slow planes im not in too much of a rush to get the Uber planes.. I actually find im consistently good at this game so that's also a bonus. (or everybody finding it easy as well)

Ive gone the British route, the planes seem to be sturdy. only lvl 3 so far but just realized they have some of the slowest (of not the slowest ) planes going.

May have to defect to the Russians, they have a Mach speed MIG Fighter!!
    Also, i tried teh Realistic control to see what they are like, have to admin they scare me. Will wait a bit before i delve that deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Been playing it myself there, downloaded it earlier on this evening which was really slow! was getting like 0.7 mb/s where i usually get like 4-5. Gone the british route so far and yeah i suppose the maps are all sortve the same layout and stuff but what else can you expect from an aerial combat game. Im enjoying it so far and if anyone else wants to add me my IGN is Athelian

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Been playing it myself there, downloaded it earlier on this evening which was really slow! was getting like 0.7 mb/s where i usually get like 4-5. Gone the british route so far and yeah i suppose the maps are all sortve the same layout and stuff but what else can you expect from an aerial combat game. Im enjoying it so far and if anyone else wants to add me my IGN is Athelian

I think there is a nice diversity in the maps in that they vary on victory goals and targets. The Wake Island map in particular is rather unique in that instead of you capping the victory point you got to provide cover for an AI army storming the beaches while they cap, you can also go on the offensive and sink the enemy fleet.

If I was to be critical it would be that the variety in the maps dont translate to players mixing it up. As most land units can be killed with standard fire, and those that cant usually only take one or two bombs. So the high altitude bombers get the short stick a lot as they are big juicy targets and they dont really do much better of a job attacking ground targets then a fighter bomber. In sudden contrast if you get a map with ships suddenly every form of bomber is too weak unless you got a torpedo bomber in your crew cause battleships/carriers take a F*cktonne! of bombs to sink.

Good luck with the british, when you unlock the spitfire at lvl 4 it gets a lot of fun, I'm racking up 6+ killstreaks each match with that plane. Beaufighters are meant to be OP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Yeah i was playing it last night and this guy was flyings straight at me i was in a bomber (Second unlock for british not sure of names) and next of all rockets started coming at me haha they ripped through me!

the new historical map in the game this week is the german invasion of Britain which sort of makes one question the historical aspect of the name.

Fun map though germans got to capture an airfield in the UK and then cover their army/navy as they capture the nearby town.

Advertisement