Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My News AH thread closure?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

May I suggest that a clearly popular thread closing in fast on 1400 posts in AH with nary a ban or infraction to be seen quite self evidently is suited to the AH forum?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

strobe wrote: »
    May I suggest that a clearly popular thread closing in fast on 1400 posts in AH with nary a ban or infraction to be seen quite self evidently is suited to the AH forum?
    Would you not just message Liz about it so?

Personally, I found it riddled with boring clique chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Pig Benis

I liked reading that thread but it got ruined by a handful of people using it as a chatroom, good call on locking it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

MugMugs wrote: »
    Would you not just message Liz about it so?

Nah. Tis general feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

RopeDrink wrote: »
    There isn't a lot of Feedback on offer here, except that you feel maybe the Mod should have added a Mod-Note after the lock.
    There's a comprehensive decision included in the lock post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It had become a cliquey style off topic / chat type thread. It had run its course and a lock had been overdue for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It'll be back. Threads in AH always come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

All good things come to an end.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I Fucking hated that in school.

Nobody gave a crap that your Aunt came to stay, and gave you a Teenage Mutent Ninja Turtle. Its 1991 and the country doesnt have a pot to piss in....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

strobe wrote: »

It was doing fine until a bunch of people turned it from a news thread into a cliquey, chat thread.
    It ran it's course and had to be closed strobe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

RopeDrink wrote: »
    or take the more direct route/complaint via DRP in scenario's where a person feels the decision is outright wrong or could/should be overturned but I assume this isn't one of those scenarios, more a curiosity.

Please don't tell people that, it's not true. DRP is only for bans and infractions, not for general queries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It was doing fine until a bunch of people turned it from a news thread into a cliquey, chat thread.

Then a simple warning to those few to stop would have sufficed. Instead its denied to everyone for the actions of a few.

Thrill wrote: »
    Then a simple warning to those few to stop would have sufficed. Instead its denied to everyone for the actions of a few.

The nature of the thread is essentially off topic or chatty. We've had large discussions in the past about such a thread existing in AH and because of the clique element that inevitably forms it was decided that such threads would not be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thats all well and good but surely the announcement thread stickied at the top of AH should also be locked since it is guilty of having the exact same characteristics that got this thread locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Pig Benis

MadYaker wrote: »
    Thats all well and good but surely the announcement thread stickied at the top of AH should also be locked since it is guilty of having the exact same characteristics that got this thread locked?

Im pretty sure those 'new mod' threads only last a few days then get locked/unstickied anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

Only saw this now, thought it was a nice thread to see in AH, the clique in other forums gets on my títs so I suppose it was of some small comfort to see people enjoying each others company in a forum reputed for it's hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Would there be another part of the site where a similar thread would be suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I didnt read the whole thread , but I thought it was one of the better ones.
    I'm still scratching my head when I see the reason for closure was..

"this thread has turned into an off topic discussion thread and AH isn't the place for it."

Sure, every thread in AH degenerates into an OT thread within a short time. I always thought that was part of the fun? I rarely post in AH anymore because it has become so...random.

Clearly I just. dont. get. it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Some new young upstart mod who just so happens to be a mod of this mysterious 'TCH' secret society forum she wont even tell us about, locking a thread because its cliquey?

Well I'll eat ma Goddamn hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Kichote wrote: »
    Some new young upstart mod ...

We don't take kindly to Mod bashing, especially from someone with a total of 61 posts and a newbi to the site. The next time it will be more than a card.

Just to clarify a point, LizT happened to be the one who clicked the button, however it was discussed and agreed by the AH mods and was a team decision.

• Advertisement

FoxT wrote: »
    I didnt read the whole thread , but I thought it was one of the better ones.
    I'm still scratching my head when I see the reason for closure was..

"this thread has turned into an off topic discussion thread and AH isn't the place for it."

Sure, every thread in AH degenerates into an OT thread within a short time. I always thought that was part of the fun? I rarely post in AH anymore because it has become so...random.

Clearly I just. dont. get. it.

A number of times throughout the years there has been a discussion where a group of posters wanted a chat, or off-topic thread in after hours.

Similar to threads you might see in smaller forums with a more defined scope than after hours.

We have decided after a large amount of discussion that after hours is not the place for such a thread. We don't want cliques to form. After hours is not facebook at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

After hours is not facebook at the end of the day.

This is really the only answer needed to the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A number of times throughout the years there has been a discussion where a group of posters wanted a chat, or off-topic thread in after hours.
    I think this is wise. There is a community dimension to Boards, but we need to find a balance between community and clique.
    We have decided after a large amount of discussion ...
    So you had a chat about it?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't know what the specific thread involved here was so I am talking in generalities here, but what's the point in closing a thread that is not causing any issues and that some people enjoy? It smacks of heavy handedness and over moderation to me. Mods have a hard enough role as it is without pissing off some people who are talking in a thread that may have gone off topic or is a bit chatty.

So what? Why not let people discuss things on an internet forum? Having general pigeon holes for what is discussed where is fine and totally necessary on a site this size, but being too rigid or strict never did anyone any good. Moderation for the sake of moderation is never good imo. Moderate when something is becoming troublesome. If the thread was suffering because of it then delete some posts, give a warning and get back on topic. If the topic is long dead or evolved and people are generally just shooting the breeze then let them.

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't know what the specific thread involved here was so I am talking in generalities here, but what's the point in closing a thread that is not causing any issues and that some people enjoy? It smacks of heavy handedness and over moderation to me. Mods have a hard enough role as it is without pissing off some people who are talking in a thread that may have gone off topic or is a bit chatty.

So what? Why not let people discuss things on an internet forum? Having general pigeon holes for what is discussed where is fine and totally necessary on a site this size, but being too rigid or strict never did anyone any good. Moderation for the sake of moderation is never good imo. Moderate when something is becoming troublesome. If the thread was suffering because of it then delete some posts, give a warning and get back on topic. If the topic is long dead or evolved and people are generally just shooting the breeze then let them.

I have never been an advocate of moderation for the sake of moderation.

I have outlined already the reasons for the closure of the thread. We believe this is for the good of the forum. That's reason one of why we do anything as moderators.

It wasn't a thread which became off topic. It was a thread which was an off topic / chat thread specifically in nature.

Similar to a number of smaller forum's off topic discussion threads you might be familiar with. Because of this it was decided to close it as these threads tend to create a clique element which is unwelcome.

We've had feedback threads in the past about the possibility of opening threads like this and have responded that we believe that it is better for the forum that they do not happen on AH.

In niche forums, those with a smaller scape, these threads can be beneficial in creating a sense of community.

In broad focusing fast moving forums like AH they can create cliques and are unnecessary.

We don't need a general discussion thread because it is the general discussion forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I don't know what the specific thread involved here was so I am talking in generalities here

As this discussion is about a specific thread, it's not very helpful to talk in generalities.

I have never been an advocate of moderation for the sake of moderation.

I have outlined already the reasons for the closure of the thread. We believe this is for the good of the forum. That's reason one of why we do anything as moderators.

It wasn't a thread which became off topic. It was a thread which was an off topic / chat thread specifically in nature.

Similar to a number of smaller forum's off topic discussion threads you might be familiar with. Because of this it was decided to close it as these threads tend to create a clique element which is unwelcome.

We've had feedback threads in the past about the possibility of opening threads like this and have responded that we believe that it is better for the forum that they do not happen on AH.

In niche forums, those with a smaller scape, these threads can be beneficial in creating a sense of community.

In broad focusing fast moving forums like AH they can create cliques and are unnecessary.

We don't need a general discussion thread because it is the general discussion forum.

I'd agree that in general you seem to be a sensible lad when it comes to moderation, so no arguments there, and I can imagine that moderating AH in general must be a nightmare. What I would say though, is that despite a general rule against general chat threads, if one develops then perhaps the need is there? What was once in the best interests of a forum need not always be the case. I would imagine that somewhere like AH if one were to develop organically like that thread seemed to do, most people would not bother with it, and even if a lot of people did bother with it, it must in itself be a good thing.

Each forum has it's own identity and it's own set of regulars, and AH, despite it's size and large user base with a high number of occasional visitors, is no different I would suggest. The word clique is thrown around a lot and carries negative connotations of sneering and almost bullying, but it does not have to be like that. There is a strong argument that it is not needed, certainly, but there is also an argument that if it will work then it is needed. I't doesn't have to be a sticky, and by the very nature of AH it will fall off the first page a lot.

Of course the above has to be taken in context of my own set of views which were formed outside of AH (although I do dip in occasionally like many people).

Edit: Since I'm not allowed to talk generally, then the above is specific to that thread as I am an expert on it, despite any statements to the contrary above.

I'd agree that in general you seem to be a sensible lad when it comes to moderation, so no arguments there, and I can imagine that moderating AH in general must be a nightmare. What I would say though, is that despite a general rule against general chat threads, if one develops then perhaps the need is there?

I guess the counter to that would be, you know, if a racist, sexist, immigrant bashing, LGBT community bashing etc. thread showed up, would that indicate that it perhaps needs to be there?

It is the everything forum in a sense. All things general discussion. I don't think it needs an everything thread and in fact an everything sort of chat/hello/here's how my day went thread would hurt the broader user base of the forum. It creates a smaller more cliquey group and that's just going to damage the forum. An off topic thread would suggest that AH has a topic to begin with.

I guess the counter to that would be, you know, if a racist, sexist, immigrant bashing, LGBT community bashing etc. thread showed up, would that indicate that it perhaps needs to be there?

It is the everything forum in a sense. All things general discussion. I don't think it needs an everything thread and in fact an everything sort of chat/hello/here's how my day went thread would hurt the broader user base of the forum. It creates a smaller more cliquey group and that's just going to damage the forum. An off topic thread would suggest that AH has a topic to begin with.

Obviously the first part of that is moot as they are doing harm, which is the opposite of the doing no harm part of my argument.

At the end of the day It's not my forum or call to make but just wanted to inject my 2c worth. It's not going to affect my life, but in general I'm more in favour of live and let live in cases like this than lock and tell people that they are off topic in an off topic forum. It's limits people if they can't have the banter with the people they want to have it with. There are other places that can be done, sure, but the people they want to do it with aren't there and others are, so it's not the same. The only genuine alternative is to try and get a hosted forum going, and I would guess that a lot of the hosted forums that exist one here are as a result of moderators somewhere going 'You can't talk about that here'.

I had a look at the thread and it went from people talking about the mundane things they did that day to people talking about mundane things they did that day but in a more conversational style, so to close it after 3 months was a bit mean imo. It's not like it's 1400 or so posts in 3 months was taking over the forum.Were the people involved showing tendencies to gang up on people elsewhere? I don't get the clique defence thing.

Whatever I think though, it's good to see you here discussing it and not ignoring it while just thanking posts that may agree with your position like happens a lot on feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I loved the My News thread
    I found it to be a good humoured thread and I did not find it cliquey at all. All news was welcomed and enjoyed and I never saw any derogatory posting to any boards member.

I just find it ironic as in general I am not at all comfortable posting in AH, but I never felt anything but good vibes from the My News thread.
    My own opinion is that AH is very cliquey.

I don't understand the moderators decision.
    But the decision has been made now and this will be my last post on the matter.

I do realise that the mods have a difficult job to do and I do thank and appreciate their hard work as this helps make boards a pleasant place to post
    Thanks,
    Lisha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement