Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My News AH thread closure?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest I've been wondering lately if Boards as a whole has gotten a bit guilty of overcategorising itself.

A classic example is here in a mod saying, AH is an OT forum, therefore we don't need an OT thread in it. Not everything being talked about needs to have itself categorised.

To me it just strikes me as making more work than is actually needed for the Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

P_1 wrote: »
    To be honest I've been wondering lately if Boards as a whole has gotten a bit guilty of overcategorising itself.

As long as I have been on boards, there has never been chat threads in AH so it certainly isn't a new thing.

As long as I have been on boards, there has never been chat threads in AH so it certainly isn't a new thing.

Fair enough, but was that custom established from the top (by it basically being banned) or from the bottom (by people basically not starting/wanting one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hate the idea of chit-chat threads and cliques and so on, but how was the News thread any different from say.. the Depression thread currently ongoing in AH? Both are filled with chat (albeit of much different kinds) and a few posters are more active in them than others (is that not cliquey?).

Obviously the depression thread is there to serve a purpose, and I'm sure it serves the purpose well for those taking part and finding comfort in it. Its presence hasn't negatively affected the forum overall from what I can see, so why or how would a chat thread not related to mental health issues have a negative affect? The way I'd look at it is; if people are getting something out of the thread and are happy to put something into it, then what's the harm once everything is civil and above board?

Cliques form all the time without the existence of chat threads. How many AH posters are also members of cliquey private / invite only forums? Even the most menial of threads draw certain 'cliques' into them... ones that have formed regardless of any silly chat thread existing.

Fair enough, but was that custom established from the top (by it basically being banned) or from the bottom (by people basically not starting/wanting one)?

dr.b answers that in his replies.

In my experience it is a mixture of both. Threads like that inevitably turn into flirt fests where nothing is actually discussed. Painful to read and it forms cliques which can be hard to un-form. The site is full of chat threads so anyone looking to have a chin wag is free to do so.

And just to make one more thing clear, we have no issue modding any thread and have never shied away from a topic because it was going to get heated.

• Advertisement

dr.b answers that in his replies.

In my experience it is a mixture of both. Threads like that inevitably turn into flirt fests where nothing is actually discussed. Painful to read and it forms cliques which can be hard to un-form. The site is full of chat threads so anyone looking to have a chin wag is free to do so.

And just to make one more thing clear, we have no issue modding any thread and have never shied away from a topic because it was going to get heated.

Not having a go by the way, just some idle curiosity :)

I can see the logic behind it to be fair. For a thread to 'work' in AH it does need to have an underlining topic purely because so many people tend to post in AH having an OT thread there could just turn into a cluttered mess.

The only concern I would have is that in your intention to avoid cliques forming you may have unintentionally cause a perceived clique to form (that perceived clique being the mods/admins). That's just human nature though I guess.

Not having a go by the way, just some idle curiosity :)

I can see the logic behind it to be fair. For a thread to 'work' in AH it does need to have an underlining topic purely because so many people tend to post in AH having an OT thread there could just turn into a cluttered mess.

The only concern I would have is that in your intention to avoid cliques forming you may have unintentionally cause a perceived clique to form (that perceived clique being the mods/admins). That's just human nature though I guess.

There is nothing I can do about that. Mods and Admins will never make everyone happy and sometimes it's best not to try.

We do however try and make the best decisions for the forums we look after.

There is nothing I can do about that. Mods and Admins will never make everyone happy and sometimes it's best not to try.

We do however try and make the best decisions for the forums we look after.

Yeah that's all you can do at the end of the day. It would be a very boring place if everybody just agreed with each other after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Popular thread closed: Ah bugger, I liked that thread.

Popular thread closed by new mod: Ah man, they used to be cool.

Popular thread closed by new female mod: Who the hell does this chick think she is?! TO FEEDBACK DAMMIT! :mad:

orestes wrote: »
    Popular thread closed: Ah bugger, I liked that thread.

Popular thread closed by new mod: Ah man, they used to be cool.

Popular thread closed by new female mod: Who the hell does this chick think she is?! TO FEEDBACK DAMMIT! :mad:

Isn't that what feedback is for though? You see a decision you don't agree with so you come here to question that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I have to say it was a bit heavy handed. Completely disagree with the reasoning to close it.

What about the those boards match making threads? Are they not the very definition of flirty cliqish threads as outlined here?

Agree it had a tendency to go OT and flirty ocassionally but the majority of posts in that thread were talking about their day.

Very dissapointing that it was closed without so much as a warning. The mods get it right 99.9% of the time but this is one that they have got it wrong and the fact there is a feedback thread says a lot.

keith16 wrote: »
    What about the those boards match making threads? Are they not the very definition of flirty cliqish threads as outlined here?

That thread pops up around mid feb every year, normally one or two posts per poster and then gets forgotten about till next year.
    Agree it had a tendency to go OT and flirty ocassionally but the majority of posts in that thread were talking about their day.

This is exactly why it was closed.

So you agree with us on both counts, it was OT flirty, it was like a facebook status update thread. AKA, here's what I did today.
    Very dissapointing that it was closed without so much as a warning. The mods get it right 99.9% of the time but this is one that they have got it wrong and the fact there is a feedback thread says a lot.

What does it really say a lot though? There are hundreds of posters and lurkers on AH.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Those sort of cliquey, chat-filled threads in AH (and other forums) are a relatively new phenomenon, spawned from an influxof posters whose introduction to the internet has been via Facebook. They never existed when I joined Boards and they have only really become an issue for mods in the last couple of years. If people want to use Boards like Facebook, then just go and post on Facebook. Boards is, and always will be, a discussion site, not somewhere to bring people up to date with the most trivial aspects of your life that they don't really give a crap about anyway.

Zaph wrote: »
    Those sort of cliquey, chat-filled threads in AH (and other forums) are a relatively new phenomenon, spawned from an influxof posters whose introduction to the internet has been via Facebook. They never existed when I joined Boards and they have only really become an issue for mods in the last couple of years. If people want to use Boards like Facebook, then just go and post on Facebook. Boards is, and always will be, a discussion site, not somewhere to bring people up to date with the most trivial aspects of your life that they don't really give a crap about anyway.

That's actually a tough balance to strike now that I think about it.

I mean the site is a discussion site, sometimes discussion is just random people talking about what happened to them during the day etc, sometimes its random people talking about the 'issues of the day'. I can see how people can see this 'cliquey' conversation is a problem, similarly I can see how people can see threads being closed and being told to talk about stuff elsewhere is a problem.

Fair play to ye for being able to strike this balance, I reckon I'd crack up if I was to try doing it myself :)

This is exactly why it was closed.

So you agree with us on both counts, it was OT flirty, it was like a facebook status update thread. AKA, here's what I did today.

I agree that from time to time the thread could be like that but generally got back on track. My real point is the thread is running since before Christmas and suddenly it's not allowed? That makes no sense to me.

Secondly, there was never a warning given to stay OT, just flat out closure. Do you not think a warning should have been given first?

Finally, the reasons given seem more and more defensive. The post LizT made said "OT chat" - fair enough, but it seems the more it's argued in here, the more reasons are given.

Completely disagree with this Zaph.

There were a lot of long time posters contributing to that thread. Moreover, the thread is nothing like FB and the more I read this thread, the clearer it becomes no-one really read the "My News" thread.

Just read the first page of the thread and then go and look at the "Great/Dumb Facebook statuses" to see how different the thread is to FB. To say the thread is like FB is an insult to a lot of decent posters who contributed to the thread.

It was a great thread full of brilliantly funny and truthful posts that have all the hallmark of boards.ie humour.

The only thing that resembles FB in AH these days are the threads with an OP along the lines of:
    LOZLZ, look at this www.stupidlink.com

To me, this is a bigger issue than any perceived clique-ish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was going to bite my tongue on this issue, but that's nothing short of an insulting post Zaph.

The worst thread I have seen on this site for cliqueiness (is that a word?), mundane Facebook style 'I just got up I'm soooo tired' posts, and general chat-filled baloney, is posted on daily by the same Moderators who closed this thread.

If you think the My News thread was lowering the tone of this site, fine, there's nothing we can do about that, but when other threads remain unlocked it reeks of hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Where To wrote: »
    I was going to bite my tongue on this issue, but that's nothing short of an insulting post Zaph.

The worst thread I have seen on this site for cliqueiness (is that a word?), mundane Facebook style 'I just got up I'm soooo tired' posts, and general chat-filled baloney, is posted on daily by the same Moderators who closed this thread.

If you think the My News thread was lowering the tone of this site, fine, there's nothing we can do about that, but when other threads remain unlocked it reeks of hypocrisy.
    Different forums, different rules.

If the mods of one forum don't want a certain type of thread then it's their call. If you don't like it try a different forum where there are those type of threads.

Ella wrote: »

If the mods of one forum don't want a certain type of thread then it's their call. If you don't like it try a different forum where there are those type of threads.

Not the point anymore. It's been made clear the boards.ie is the wrong site. Let alone there being a right forum.

Ella wrote: »

Same Moderator(s), same posters, same sh1te.

Also this thread was still in AH last time I looked.

It doesn't matter what forum you are in, if you condescend to others while behaving similarly or worse yourself, you are a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not sure people understand how boring flirty off topic chat type threads are to follow if you are not part of the 'group' or not interested in that.

You end up scrolling through the thread getting pissed off trying to pick up the trail of the original topic again.

A bit of banter is grand but pages and pages of esoteric flirting and chat...

There are lots of places you can chat in that way or even start a private forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Same Moderator(s), same posters, same sh1te.
    Different forum, so it's a moot point.
    Also this thread was still in AH last time I looked.
    That's a thread about facebook updates. It's not people using the thread as facebook. And it's not a small group using it as a chatroom.

You see this is where the 'us and them' argument/divide comes into things.

I have no doubt that this thread will eventually be closed without an explanation as previous feedback threads have been in the past.

All we are asking for is consistency and a bit of transparency, is that too much to ask for?

humanji wrote: »
    Different forum, so it's a moot point.
    Leaves a sour taste in the mouth when it is 'one rule for us, another for everyone else' though.
    That's a thread about facebook updates. It's not people using the thread as facebook. And it's not a small group using it as a chatroom.
    Neither was the My News thread.

You see this is where the 'us and them' argument/divide comes into things.

I have no doubt that this thread will eventually be closed without an explanation as previous feedback threads have been in the past.

All we are asking for is consistency and a bit of transparency, is that too much to ask for?
    Well, there's the majority of the site and a small group, essentially. The small group chatting amongst themselves in threads is alienating other users who aren't part of their group. So these individuals aren't always going to bother with the group threads. Boards has to cater for the larger group and make everyone as comfortable as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It isn't insulting, it's the truth. Motors has it in the Motors chat thread, loads of genuine posters are either too intimidated to post or have their contributions skipped over; that's how I interpret it and no, I'm not speaking from personal experience here with regards to Motors, I do post in there less though since I picked up on a bit of a cliquey vibe.

Speaking from some experiences on private forums though they too suffer from the same issue - it ends up being X number of people chatting and the noise from them cancels the signal from other possible contributors.

The Dumb/Great facebook statuses thread? It has a topic - posting up your dumb/great facebook statuses. The My News thread was a different beast, it had no topic, post whatever the hell you wanted. If you feel the D/G FB statuses thread has lost it's way and turned into something like My News then you should probably have a chat with the mods instead of using it to try beating them with the hypocrisy stick.

In general I'd like to know why people are of the mind "Oh but it's been around for a while now, you can't delete it". The length of time a thread has been around shouldn't count for a thing if it's hampering the growth of the forum. For what it's worth, not much I'll admit I'd consider myself a very regular reader of After Hours, and a rare contributer (even rarer troll :pac:) but I'd never seen the news thread until about three/four weeks ago. It clearly gained some legs only in February, almost 60% of the content posted was done in that month. So it was only natural that around then was the time the mods were considering what to do with it.

I don't want to read My News v2, with 14,000 posts between it and v1 in three months time and realise that this catch-all thread in the catch-all forum has pretty much killed off the random threads and topics of conversation I enjoy in AH.

It's very easy to skip over a thread here and there if the topic isn't up your street, that's why we have threads. It's a whole different ball game when you disappear for a day to find 40 pages added about the most inane shít and flirting while you're trying to carry on a discussion from yesterday after spending 10 minutes filtering out the crap to get the stuff that interests you.

Keep it closed

Leaves a sour taste in the mouth when it is 'one rule for us, another for everyone else' though.

Why? It's a different forum. You can't talk about celebrities in the Politics forum, but you wouldn't feel put out about it, would you? I don't know half the forums on this site, there's that many, but I'm sure there's got to be a few for people to talk nonsense to each other and have a laugh together. Why do you need to do it in every forum?

Neither was the My News thread.
    But it was. Read the last few pages. Someone would post their news, and the same people would go off on tangents. Generally people get warnings of infractions for going off-topic, but in this case, the whole thread was being derailed constantly. It got locked as it was only going to continue that way.

anncoates wrote: »
    Not sure people understand how boring flirty off topic chat type threads are to follow if you are not part of the 'group' or not interested in that.

You end up scrolling through the thread getting pissed off trying to pick up the trail of the original topic again.

A bit of banter is grand but pages and pages of esoteric flirting and chat...

There are lots of places you can chat in that way or even start a private forum.

Fair enough, the only counter argument to that is that nobody is forcing you to click on those threads or participate in them.
    humanji wrote: »
    Well, there's the majority of the site and a small group, essentially. The small group chatting amongst themselves in threads is alienating other users who aren't part of their group. So these individuals aren't always going to bother with the group threads. Boards has to cater for the larger group and make everyone as comfortable as possible.

But surely it isn't that hard to accomodate both groups?

If people don't feel comfortable with those type of threads nobody is forcing them to participate in them. Conversely there's nothing stopping them from participating in them, I highly doubt that the 'regular' participants will turn around and tell them to f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

How is it? That's a different forum with a different charter, it's not relevant to After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

My News:

To be honest I'm quite insulted that people think I might have been using the My News thread as a facebook alternative.

Where To opened the light hearted thread saying:

Do you remember My News in school?
    Should we have one here?
    He then went on to tell us about his new chair.

I took it as a fun thread, a silly one. Where one imagined standing up at the top of the class telling your news (boring and all as it might have been) from the innocence of the child we all once were.

I would also imagine that you could choose to read it or not.

There was chat on it, but it generally sorted itself and people got back to news. I know once or twice people may have directly asked me a question or made a comment about my news that I may have answered, it would be bad manners not to, my opinion only.

As for a clique, I would think that would mean I am friends with or know the other posters - haven't a clue who any of them are, so I would hardly say clique.

Any of the news that I wrote was silly fun and to be honest if you think that any of that is any indication of my reality, well in fairness that says more about you reading it than it can ever say about me.

The nicest piece of news in there was the guy who came in to share his news: his wife gave birth to his daughter with only him and his father present. If for nothing else the thread was worth it for that :)

I understand Mods have jobs to do and it is their choice to close the thread.

I for one am sorry to see the My News thread closed, I thought it was a bit of fun and some nice stories came out of it.

:)

• Advertisement

But surely it isn't that hard to accomodate both groups?

If people don't feel comfortable with those type of threads nobody is forcing them to participate in them. Conversely there's nothing stopping them from participating in them, I highly doubt that the 'regular' participants will turn around and tell them to f off.
    There's nothing stopping you from approaching a random group in the pub and trying to talk to them, either. But it's not an easy thing to do and you never know how or if you'll be accepted. Many won't want to do that and the same applies here.

As I said, there's forums that are more than welcoming of group chats. After Hours isn't one of them. There's no harm people having a laugh and chatting away in AH. But when groups take over sections and start to derail threads, it's pretty annoying for the other users.

There's no real reason to accomodate both groups in the forum, as the site caters for both groups.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement