Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My News AH thread closure?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Cliques are part and parcel of the site, private forums are the reason cliques are developing imo. Nothing more annoying than to see mods/users who you know are part of cliques thanking/posting to piss of other users and it happens.
    Being part of the clique is ok but keep it to the private forums, unfortunately human nature will always make people defend those they like/are friendly with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

HondaSami wrote: »
    Cliques are part and parcel of the site, private forums are the reason cliques are developing imo. Nothing more annoying than to see mods/users who you know are part of cliques thanking/posting to piss of other users and it happens.
    Being part of the clique is ok but keep it to the private forums, unfortunately human nature will always make people defend those they like/are friendly with.

I'm not going to say if I'm a member of a private forum or not, but I've never really noticed any members of private forums being cliquey on other fora. That said, I might not be paying much attention, I don't know who does be in a private forum or not.

With regards to the opinion that the 'my news' thread was cliquey - I disagree completely. I read the thread for quite a while, and decided one day 'Feck it, I'll post for once.' I posted, in a similar vein to any other poster there, and was immediately having my post thanked, and people being nice. If it were so cliquey, that wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I called it as i saw it.

I won't apologise for it.

We've had several discussions about where we would like the forum to go and have a charter for people to follow but this thread is full of people complaing about it.

You want us to go and change it because you don't like it. If you find something you don't like next week do we have to change the charter again?

Things have been going well for a long time and i don't see the need to change anything.

If thats genuinely your attitude then maybe a Feedback Forum isnt for you. (Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one)

I have no doubt your intentions are for the good of afterhours, however, if your customer base, for want of a better term, feel strongly enough to let you know when they think a decision has been made incorrectly/unfairly. Or that a sanction taken was disproportionate then Id suggest that an open mind would do you far more favours than a closed one in terms of future moderation.

Personally, Im happy to concede that the mods have the right to make the call that the thread was getting off topic and or flirty. Cant say I agree with the reasoning, but they have to make those calls and do so presumably reluctantly and for the good of the forum. Though I do think closing the thread with no warning or opportunity to change behaviour was overly harsh.

To try to be constructive, a more softly softly approach would be appreciated in future please, using an escalation approach until you get your point across to those that need to hear it, rather than deprive everyone.

such as

1) gentle warnings
    2) firmer warnings
    3) cards for offenders
    4) temporary bans for offenders
    5) permanent bans for offenders

Oh and one general point of order. Its not threads that get flirty and off topic, its people, wonderful, bizarre creatures that they are. They do it all the time and do it because their minds dont work in linear straight lines. They make links and associations in their brains and memories. Then in a sense of community or a need to be heard they share them with others. I.e its the same process that generates on topic, interesting and engaging "signal" threads. You cannot change that, so dont try, instead I would suggest, gentle steerage rather than black and white censoring would be the way to encourage the good "signal" and disuade the bad "noise".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Cliques are part and parcel of the site....
    Being part of the clique is ok but keep it to the private forums, .

That's pretty much impossible to do for most HondaSami.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This thread fails to deliver.

Ask Sarky really nicely if you can relocate to TCN if it really rings your bell to find out what you all ate for lunch..... Or go to Facebook.... Or even request a forum but for the love of god accept that your thread was flirt ridden, thanks whoring, off topic chatty and downright boring and move on.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »

Ask Sarky really nicely if you can relocate to TCN if it really rings your bell to find out what you all ate for lunch..... Or go to Facebook.... Or even request a forum but for the love of god accept that your thread was flirt ridden, thanks whoring, off topic chatty and downright boring and move on.

If you don't like a thread, is there any need to be snarky with people who didn't dislike it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I'm not going to say if I'm a member of a private forum or not, but I've never really noticed any members of private forums being cliquey on other fora. That said, I might not be paying much attention, I don't know who does be in a private forum or not.

I'm a bit confused, if you are not in any private forums and you don't know anyone in a private forum, how do you know if they are cliquey on other threads or not?

With regards to the opinion that the 'my news' thread was cliquey - I disagree completely. I read the thread for quite a while, and decided one day 'Feck it, I'll post for once.' I posted, in a similar vein to any other poster there, and was immediately having my post thanked, and people being nice. If it were so cliquey, that wouldn't have happened.

To be clear I was not on about that thread as i have not read any of it, have not opened the thread, i was on about boards in general.

I'm a bit confused, if you are not in any private forums and you don't know anyone in a private forum, how do you know if they are cliquey on other threads or not?

To be clear I was not on about that thread as i have not read any of it, have not opened the thread, i was on about boards in general.

@ the first bit - I'm not saying whether or not I'm in a private forum, because people will believe me to be biased one way or another whether I'm in one or not. My point is that people are saying that the thread was cliquey, and that AH is cliquey from people in private forums keeping their cliquey attitude in AH also. If someone like me, who does know know which people are members of which private fora, can not see a cliquey attitude, it can't be as bad as some people are describing it. I stand to be corrected, of course.

My second point wasn't directly in response to yours, more a general observation based on the feedback thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

My point is that people are saying that the thread was cliquey, and that AH is cliquey from people in private forums keeping their cliquey attitude in AH also.

I don't think anybody made that point at all, just that private forums have been set up in the past for AH users that way inclined.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Must have completely mis-read then. I am pretty tired. I'll use that as my excuse. Disregard my shíte so. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

To be fair, you have just described 90% of threads in AH. And, if it was so obvious the thread was as you described, why you was it left open for so long?

Did you report any of the posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, thanks. I have a knife, would you like to ram it in my back while you're at it?

keith16 wrote: »
    Did you report any of the posts?
    Of course I didn't. The thread didn't offend,annoy or upset me. I merely found it quite inane. Much like this thread tbh.
    Sarky wrote: »

Oh, thanks. I have a knife, would you like to ram it in my back while you're at it?
    You're secretly happy I was plugging your forum :D

If you don't like a thread, is there any need to be snarky with people who didn't dislike it?
    I haven't been "snarky" with anybody. I've merely expressed my opinion on the matter. Am I only welcome to give feedback when it goes in the general context of the OP?

Of course I didn't. The thread didn't offend,annoy or upset me. I merely found it quite inane. Much like this thread tbh.

Why are you following / reading it if you find it so? There are plenty of threads I find inane in AH but I don't come into feedback kicking up a stink. In any case, it's a feedback thread. Hardly going to be a barrel of laughs now, is it?
    I haven't been "snarky" with anybody. I've merely expressed my opinion on the matter. Am I only welcome to give feedback when it goes in the general context of the OP?

You are of course welcome to your opinion, you've expressed it well, a little too well for something you find inane.

Forgetting your general opinion on the thread, do you not think the whole thing could have been handled a little better? i.e. - warning first and then close?

Also, how do you feel about mods expressing a more or less "good riddance" type of opinion toward a poster who closed his account?

Why are you following / reading it if you find it so? There are plenty of threads I find inane in AH but I don't come into feedback kicking up a stink.

Yet here you are ;)
    You are of course welcome to your opinion, you've expressed it well, a little too well for something you find inane.

Forgetting your general opinion on the thread, do you not think the whole thing could have been handled a little better? i.e. - warning first and then close?

Also, how do you feel about mods expressing a more or less "good riddance" type of opinion toward a poster who closed his account?
    I've seen how this goes. Mod warning kicks in, posters act greatly offended. Abide by the warning, make the occasional snide reference to the warning, warning given again, posters begin to believe it's their right to have this thread, more snide references, flirting and other rubbish leading to a lock and an attempted "revolt" against the mods in question.

With respect to a poster closing his account because his position had become "untenable" Yeeeeeeeeah.... Strikes me that he may well have needed a break from here anyway if that's his "position" As for the mods Question, Super Rush is entitled to his opinion. He doesn't have to be PC..... That would make feedback threads like this pointless if he did.

Yet here you are ;)

Ah, you see now you're just winding me up :) I'm in feedback for an entirely different reason other than finding something "too inane" :) Why are you getting so worked up over something you care very little about? It's clear something is getting to you about this.
    Yet here you are ;)

I've seen how this goes. Mod warning kicks in, posters act greatly offended. Abide by the warning, make the occasional snide reference to the warning, warning given again, posters begin to believe it's their right to have this thread, more snide references, flirting and other rubbish leading to a lock and an attempted "revolt" against the mods in question.

With respect to a poster closing his account because his position had become "untenable" Yeeeeeeeeah.... Strikes me that he may well have needed a break from here anyway if that's his "position" As for the mods Question, Super Rush is entitled to his opinion. He doesn't have to be PC..... That would make feedback threads like this pointless if he did.

To your first point, all of this happened in the "I found a safe thread". The snide remarks continued but the thread was re-opened. All other threads are given this courtesy but "my news" wasn't.

That poster is entitled as much to his opinion as super-rush is, so no need to belittle it with "inverted commas". Indeed, no-one is asking super-rush to be "PC", but perhaps given his position, it may be in his interest to be a little more considerate to those who give AH so much, no? Saying that the feedback forum would be pointless is a moot point as it appears to be pointless in any case.

Moreover, the ill-feeling it has generated in here may do much more damage in the long run than any snide comments in a thread that would have run it's course anyway.

I for one have lost all interest in AH because of how the feedback has been received in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't care anymore.

Why are you getting so worked up over something you care very little about? It's clear something is getting to you about this.
    I'm really not and I really don't see how you've drawn that conclusion from my previous posts here.
    To your first point, all of this happened in the "I found a safe thread". The snide remarks continued but the thread was re-opened. All other threads are given this courtesy but "my news" wasn't.
    I am going to take a wild guess on this one and say that you're very wrong and that all other threads are not given this courtesy...... I don't see why you think they are given you've only provided one example.
    That poster is entitled as much to his opinion as super-rush is, so no need to belittle it with "inverted commas". Indeed, no-one is asking super-rush to be "PC", but perhaps given his position, it may be in his interest to be a little more considerate to those who give AH so much, no? Saying that the feedback forum would be pointless is a moot point as it appears to be pointless in any case.
    if you begin to censor mods in feedback then you've got an issue. Should he have been sensitive to what looked like a "threw the rattle out of the pram" scenario? Nope.
    Moreover, the ill-feeling it has generated in here may do much more damage in the long run than any snide comments in a thread that would have run it's course anyway.

I for one have lost all interest in AH because of how the feedback has been received in here.
    I really think After Hours will live on long after this clique dissolves.... (viewers if you want to know the members just check who thank the opposing posts to mine) Peoples come and peoples go.... I am glad you've grown tired of AH. Go and explore this site instead of going into AH. It's amazing the wealth and abundance of knowledge that exists on topics you didn't even realise you were interested in on this forum. Instead of reading the same old conversation day in day out on different topics in AH, go and read something which may actually tickle your bell.

This is my all time favourite post on Boards. :) There, I've just started you off.

I'm really not and I really don't see how you've drawn that conclusion from my previous posts here.

hmmm...seems like you are rather annoyed with the thread.

I am going to take a wild guess on this one and say that you're very wrong and that all other threads are not given this courtesy...... I don't see why you think they are given you've only provided one example.

I read boards a lot and this is generally the pattern it follows....there was lots of OT chat on the Olympics threads for example and people were taken up on it. The thread wasn't closed without warning.
    Few things here.... First is a wee bug bear of mine. You do realise that "moot point" means "debatable" it's just that the context that you've used it here and indeed a lot of people seem to use it around here doesn't actually allow debate.

Thanks for that, I feel like an idiot now
    With that out of the way, if you begin to censor mods in feedback then you've got an issue. Should he have been sensitive to what looked like a "threw the rattle out of the pram" scenario? Nope.

I never suggested mods be censored. Compare the way dr.b and super-rush have acted on this very thread. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Being sensitive is one thing, sticking a knife in the back, is something else entirely.
    I really think After Hours will live on long after this clique dissolves.... (viewers if you want to know the members just check who thank the opposing posts to mine) Peoples come and peoples go.... I am glad you've grown tired of AH. Go and explore this site instead of going into AH. It's amazing the wealth and abundance of knowledge that exists on topics you didn't even realise you were interested in on this forum. Instead of reading the same old conversation day in day out on different topics in AH, go and read something which may actually tickle your bell.

This is my all time favourite post on Boards. :) There, I've just started you off.

Checking the thanks works both ways - wouldn't that mean there are two cliques here? A tad ironic claiming one group claims to abhor such behavior. In any case, plenty of posters who actually posted in the my news thread have came in here to say there was never a clique-ish vibe to the thread which is true. I totally refute the clique point (it is NOT a moot point - am I doing it right?).

As regards being tired of AH, I fully agree with you. I have indeed come across the Pripayt post before. If you find Pripayt interesting, there is a brilliant documentary about the liquidators - can't remember the name of it just now....but yeah don't be worrying about broadening my horizons ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388600

Your link is broken. Thanks for that, great post that I hadn't seen before.

Orim wrote: »
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388600

Your link is broken. Thanks for that, great post that I hadn't seen before.

I actually would love to go to Pripayt. Do you guys buy all this stuff about the animals "taking back" the town and how they are basically immune to the radiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

emmmm,... perhaps a little bit off topic there? lets not turn a feedback thread into "my news II - return of the revenge of the chatty ones" please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭The Road Runner

Ahh give them back their thread already. It's Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I read most of that thread, I haven't looked at it recently so maybe it did go off topic, but I was reading it as being a witty, quite subtle thread that was not just chat. It was quite clever writing disguised as chat/primary school essay. Most people, in the first few pages anyway, 'got it' and contributed well.

I enjoyed it, I did not see much that was obviously people not understanding the purpose, and you will get boring posts in any thread.

LoLth wrote: »
    emmmm,... perhaps a little bit off topic there?

Can't believe you took the bait :pac:

Seriously though, would have been nice if "my News" got something like that. :)

That's all I'm saying on the matter. For now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 El Paso

That's all I'm saying on the matter. For now.

Let it go ffs.

El Paso wrote: »

Let it go ffs.

It was a joke, calm your tits there pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 El Paso

It was a joke, calm your tits there pal.

Theyre mooobs!

I think its gone on too long now imo, if it was reopened*, it certainly wouldnt have the same 'atmosphere' as it once had.

*not bloody likely

• Advertisement

El Paso wrote: »

Theyre mooobs!

I think its gone on too long now imo, if it was reopened*, it certainly wouldnt have the same 'atmosphere' as it once had.

[SIZE="1"]*not bloody likely[/SIZE]

Agreed mate. Its over. The for now part really was a joke, I have no more to say.

So, what's everyone up to this evening? Might watch the footy myself but I might have to work.News.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement