Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC connection cable

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I meant to buy one of these but forgot. Where would I get similar

Is this the same? I don't think it is, there is no software on this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

No they're not the same. What do you want to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Torqay wrote: »
    No they're not the same. What do you want to connect?
    two pcs. A vista and a seven. This is it Is there anywhere in Ireland to get one. I did not find any yet

People still use these?? No router in the house?

But who am I to question you? I still have a 10 ft laplink cable in my drawer (which I'm sure I haven't been using in the last 15 years). ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't know any shop having one of those in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, do you have a broadband router in the house? If you connect the two PCs via Ethernet cables to a router then you can use a utility in Win7 called Windows Easy Transfer which will copy files and user setting from one Windows machine to another. I've use it twice to help family members upgrade and it's a breeze to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If you do not have a router you can use a cross over cable to connect two pcs. They are cheap and available in most stores.

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    If you do not have a router you can use a cross over cable to connect two pcs. They are cheap and available in most stores.

If the computers are reasonably new (2005 or later), you wouldn't need cross-over, a regular network cable will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You calling me old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If the computers are reasonably new (2005 or later), you wouldn't need cross-over, a regular network cable will do.

I actually didn't know that either :o

Auto-MDIX automatically detects the required cable connection type and configures the connection appropriately, removing the need for crossover cables to interconnect switches or connecting PCs peer-to-peer.

Auto-MDIX is supported on all 10/100 and 10/100/1000-Mb/s interfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

LoveCoke wrote: »
    I meant to buy one of these but forgot. Where would I get similar

Is this the same? I don't think it is, there is no software on this one?

There were 4 in lidl in Roscommon this morning if that helps

• Advertisement

I got one. Does anyone know how to stop something running from registry. Do I have to edit registry. When i open it i get an alert it wants to run at start of windows. I have disabled it but it runs again

This seems to be the path C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OTi\UltraLink\FunctModules\{23863E42-6AAC-482c-81D2-BD6A23CCFEF8}\UltraLink.exe What do i change so that i can run the program wthout it trying to set itself to run at windows start

It is in HKCU but there is no delete option.

Have you tried to disable the program via Autoruns?

Have you tried to disable the program via Autoruns?
    i do not have that. I changed the extension but it created another file and will not let me delete it

LoveCoke wrote: »
    i do not have that. I changed the extension but it created another file and will not let me delete it

Well, download it then, it's free. ;)

Well, download it then, it's free. ;)
    not that simple. i did disable it with winpatrol but it seems to re enable. there are a couple of .exe's and they seem to start each other see here

Advertisement