Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web live jam music

• 06-03-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi,
    question of a techy/music nature. I like to jam, playing guitar and i've mates living in different parts of the country doing the same. Has anyone any ideas on a good " web cam jam" idea or something similar where we can see and hear each other and play along . Is there special equipment out there? Ideas and inspiration appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Skype conference call feature is probably the best you could get.

You'll all need a stable broadband connection and decent speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's done frequently. Last time I saw it used on stage was when Amanda Palmer did it here when she was here on the Evelyn Evelyn tour.
    Her musical partner Jason Webley was stranded in the States due to volcanic ash stopping worldwide flights.
    She borrowed some equipment, set up a projector on stage and webcast with Jason. It was not the most polished performance I've ever seen but with the jury rigging and sense of comraderie between Amanda, Jason and the audience made it a wonderful experience.
    There was a time lag across the web connection that made for some interesting timing adjustments in the tracks they played. :)

I've Skyped with a music tutor on occasion without any insurmountable problems but never more then just the two of us online at the same time.
    Let me know if you try a conference meeting type thing and how you get on.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OldGoat wrote: »
    I've Skyped with a music tutor on occasion without any insurmountable problems but never more then just the two of us online at the same time.
    Let me know if you try a conference meeting type thing and how you get on.

The Skype conference facility is decent once there is a good connection from all parties. I use it all the time in work, albeit not for music, but would be conferencing with people from Dubai and remote regions in Africa simultaneously. If there is a bad connection there will be lag and noise on the line. Otherwise, you will have a pretty clear connection.

Another feature of Skype is that you can select mic input and speaker output, so you can add peripherals to your machine that are handly enough to enable for use.

Advertisement