Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware X51 Desktop PC

Options
  • 06-03-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I have a bit of spare money to throw around and am considering treating myself by getting a top-rated desktop pc to replace my Dell Dimension E520. I've chosen an Alienware X51 which has excellent specifications, suitable for gaming.

Microsoft Operating System English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.40GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4C)
    Memory 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
    Video Card 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660
    Hard Drive 2TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200rpm Hard Drive
    Optical Devices BluRay Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read & write)
    Sound Cards Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Wireless Networking Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN Cables

The thing is that I have NO interest in gaming whatsoever, but I AM interested nevertheless in having a top specification machine for the normal things I do regularly.

The question I'm asking is, since money is irrelevant is there any reason why I shouldn't get such a machine? I think all pc users have felt that they would like to have a really faster machine than the one they have. Maybe you have a suggestion for a better non-gaming machine?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gravale wrote: »
    I have a bit of spare money to throw around and am considering treating myself by getting a top-rated desktop pc to replace my Dell Dimension E520. I've chosen an Alienware X51 which has excellent specifications, suitable for gaming.

Microsoft Operating System English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.40GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4C)
    Memory 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
    Video Card 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660
    Hard Drive 2TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200rpm Hard Drive
    Optical Devices BluRay Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read & write)
    Sound Cards Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Wireless Networking Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN Cables

The thing is that I have NO interest in gaming whatsoever, but I AM interested nevertheless in having a top specification machine for the normal things I do regularly.

The question I'm asking is, since money is irrelevant is there any reason why I shouldn't get such a machine? I think all pc users have felt that they would like to have a really faster machine than the one they have. Maybe you have a suggestion for a better non-gaming machine?

Thanks. :)
    Jesus don't waste your money there....
    What are the "Normal things you do regularly "?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You my think it's top rated PC but, the Aleinware X51 is a mediocre PC at best. If you really want a top rated PC then you should consider building your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Gravale wrote: »

The thing is, if you have NO interest in gaming whatsoever, the GPU is an overkill and if you had an interest in gaming the GPU isn't really good enough.

If you don't want to build your own computer, see what PCS have to offer, if you configure a computer to the same specifications, you'll save 200 yoyos or more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In addition to PCS, Scan.co.uk also have some competitively priced, configurable non-gaming PCs like the v15 and V20 if you can't be bothered building yourself. Either retailer offer much better value than the Alienware.

Adding a 120GB SSD to the V15 makes it a great little home/office PC, for about £573.28.

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1271

You could build something similar a for a bit less, but the V15 is certainly not a bad price for a pre-built.

Item|Price
    MS Windows 8 64bit (SB-Version) Englisch|€84.90
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€56.15
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.87
    MSI B75MA-E33, Intel B75, mATX, DDR3|€51.12
    Intel Core i5-3470 Box, LGA1155|€166.42
    2 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€45.16
    Kingston SSD V300 120GB SATA III|€82.90
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€48.16
    Samsung SH-224BB bare schwarz|€16.93
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€613.60

The i7 based V20 isn't too bad either

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1328

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

If you dont play games then theres really no point in investing that kind of money. I am using an 8 year old laptop with Windows XP on it at the moment and it does the "normal things" as well as I need it to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Things is the GPU. Intel HD 4000 has certainly rendered entry- or even mid-level graphics cards pointless. Those cards only make sense if you want spread a heavier workload over 3 or more displays. For "regular stuff", Intel HD 4000 is more than sufficient, even in a dual-monitor setup and the next generation of Core processors will be even better, Haswell's HD 4600 is said to be on par with a GT 650.

Gamers will always pay good money for high-end, and they will have to pay even more in the future, as ATI and Nvidia will loose money in the lower-end markets and where else would they want to go looking for compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Thanks, folks. You've given me much to consider ..and yes, I just want the best non-game home pc for everyday use - but I want the best. ;)

Advertisement