Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C - O'Connell Street Dublin

• 06-03-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Any advice on whether these work or not? A, B, C, or D, or go back and try again? I like the background so I'm tempted to go back for a better shot.

Is there too much noise, and does this matter? I had them at 1600 (except bike girl who is at 2500). Shutter speeds were at 1/40 and 1/60. Are the B&W conversions ok or not? Any criticism would be welcome.

8533071768_d1accb9d11.jpg
    OCS_Lot-3 by Shane_Dublin_1975, on Flickr

8533072654_8b50b9c644.jpg
    OCS_Lot-4 by Shane_Dublin_1975, on Flickr

8531960299_39c4467b55.jpg
    OCS_Lot-2 by Shane_Dublin_1975, on Flickr

8531959495_cd1c901eb3.jpg
    OCS_Lot by Shane_Dublin_1975, on Flickr

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the first and last are the best - the bike is badly placed in the frame, and the single figure does not hold enough interest for the eye. i think the graininess works.
    not sure which framing i prefer - the building on the left centred (as in the bike shot), or the top one, with the bracing for the building on the right visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Nothing really seams to be in focus. But I think the last works the best in my opinion, it might be better sans old man walking across the shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

The issue IMO are that the pictures are too busy - it seems you may have been trying to get too much in. What is the focal point of the shots? The backgrounds, the people, the wall?

You shot with f1.4 but the background is still dominant - either crop or recompose to avoid this.

Also with f1.4, your depth of field is very shallow - very hard to get focus right. I'd suggest using a tripod, f2.8 or greater and drop your ISO to say 800 or less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the photos work because of the background; without them, it'd just be a shot of pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Any criticism would be welcome.

personally i dont think the b & w conversions work , think natural colour would be much better -

• Advertisement

the originals might just be an orange sodium blare, though. hard to say without seeing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

TBH I don't see what they are about or what you are trying to get across with them. They seem incoherent and confusing. Are they 4 sperate single shots not related to each other apart from the background or are they trying to say something. I don't get the message if they are saying something and the images really don't do much for me.
    I don't get the relation with the background you like to the people in the foreground?

They look like snaps to me. Not trying to be an a$$hole with C&C but I just don't get them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

im afraid none of these work for me. just pedestrians walking by a building site, and they are soft. very soft.
    Technically i dont see anything there.

Perhaps if you detail a little what you were trying to accomplish it would help.

They may look good to you, even if others dont like/get them, who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As Fret said...some context or background/goal with the images would help understand them more. I just don't know what to think/make of them as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Thanks folks, this has given me a lot to think about. Rather than describe in words what I was aiming for I think I'll try again, and see if I can make the picture speak for itself, having taken on board all the comments above. If that doesn't work I'll, ehm, describe it in words.

• Advertisement

i like the light in them. i don't think a picture has to 'tell a story' to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think they're great. Yeah, I really like them. Enlarge them to the size of a door and hang them one after the other in some big gallery space. Seriously, they'd be great.

I did wonder when I saw them first were they some sort of odd film processing but that itself I think is a draw to the aesthetic presented. I like that they are reasonably unique in a world lacking originality.

You've polarised opinion which I think by itself has merit (to be able to do that) - whether you set out to do that or not is a different matter. That polarised opinion is fuel for the art that you present.

I can't for the life of me figure where on O'Connell Street you took them (did i miss something in the description).

The light is mad (shadows in one direction, highlights in the other), the tones surreal, the subject mundane, all contributing to a couple of really nice images which don't do it for a wow factor but are intriguing none the less.

Well done (and, keep up the good work - imho)

:)

Advertisement