Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 NBA DRAFT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Paully D wrote: »
    Very smart move. Players are better off entering as soon as they can, especially with such a high stock. There have been so many cases of players going back and dropping further down the board or getting injured.

I agree, just look at Cody Zeller, if he declared last year, he would have been a top 10 pick, at the very least, and all the mock drafts had him ahead of his brother, who subsequently was drafted 11th.Zeller averaged 16 points and 6 rebounds in his freshman year.However, Zeller decided the next level could wait at least one more year and returned to Indiana, considered to be the best player in the country by many.
    Heading in to this season, many saw Zeller as a potential top pick, or at least a top three pick. However, Zeller did not have the breakout sophomore season many expected and the top pick talk has ended.Zeller’s sophomore season numbers were slightly better than his freshman production, but Zeller was less efficient and struggled mightily against bigger more athletic bigs in the tournament.
    Beyond the numbers, Zeller looked soft at times and was rarely dominant. Zeller was not able to be the dominant big man, who bullies defenders and controls the paint. He was very good, but not great. The fact that Indiana ended up underwhelming in the NCAA Tournament, losing in the Sweet Sixteen, did not help Zeller either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

There's a few decent big men in the draft year. Alex Len is probably the most NBA ready. In match-ups against others in this class he dominated. He destroyed Mason Plumlee and Nerlens Noel in respective Maryland games with Duke and Kentucky last season.

Big News

Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel declares for NBA draft
    nerlens-noel-nba-draft-2013.jpg?w=600&h=425

This guy is a potential 1st overall pick. It appears that his draft stock hasn't been effected by his absence from the post-season. If anything the below par performance of other top prospects in the post season has benefited Nerlens.

His injury means he will miss the vast majority of his Rookie year. However this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the team that Drafts Nerlens.

It's likely that this them will also have a very early pick in the 2014 draft aswell because of a poor season in Nerlens absence. Opening to door for them to Draft Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

@WojYahooNBA Marcus Smart will return for his sophomore season. He could've been a top 5 pick in NBA Draft.

Shocked at this.

Yeah it is a surprise. Smart probably should have gone in for this draft. He probably would have if OKS had going a little further in the post season. He would have been top 5, possibly even top 3. Only time will tell whether this was the right move.

One thing is certain. Trey Burke will be the top selected point guard this year.

• Advertisement

Tim Hardaway Jr. to enter The 2013 NBA Draft

Marquette PG Vander Blue enters The 2013 NBA Draft, Blue was expect to wait until next season but will now leave school early to join the NBA. He will probably go early 2nd round

165110924.jpg

2013 NBA Draft Lottery No. 1 Pick Odds (%)

1. Orlando Magic 25.0
    2. Charlotte Bobcats 19.9
    3. Cleveland Cavaliers 15.6
    4. Phoenix Suns 11.9
    5. New Orleans Pelicans 8.8
    6. Sacramento Kings 6.3
    7. Detroit Pistons 3.6
    8. Washington Wizards 3.5
    9. Minnesota Timberwolves 1.7
    10. Portland Trail Blazers 1.1
    11. Philadelphia 76ers 0.8
    12. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Toronto)* 0.7
    13. Dallas Mavericks 0.6
    14. Utah Jazz 0.5
    *OKC receives Toronto's first-round draft pick (Top 3 protected) via Houston from the James Harden trade (pick was originally traded to Houston in Kyle Lowry deal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

When is the lottery and draft taking place? What until you see OKC get the #1 pick :pac:

When is the lottery and draft taking place? What until you see OKC get the #1 pick :pac:

Tuesday, May 21
    NBA Draft Lottery 2013

Very slim chance of OKC picking 1st. In the unlikely event that they did. I think they would take Nerlens Noel. They are a team that can afford to wait for his recovery

They will most like pick 12th. Which is not too bad, I have a feeling the will take 7ft Duke Center, Mason Plumlee

Plumlee can be an asset to the Thunder. His roll as bench cover for Perkins

Tuesday, May 21
    NBA Draft Lottery 2013

Very slim chance of OKC picking 1st.

Cheers for that. It's further away than I thought it was then. I always enjoy watching the lottery.

As a Bulls fan, I know only too well that there's always a chance :D

Cheers for that. It's further away than I thought it was then. I always enjoy watching the lottery.

As a Bulls fan, I know only too well that there's always a chance :D

True. There was only a 1.7% chance of you lot having the 1st pick in 08.

(cough) Fix (cough) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

OKC can't get the first pick, Toronto's pick is top 3 protected. If Toronto move into the top 3, they keep the pick.

I wouldn't surprise me if Trey Burke went 1st to Orlando. They should have never given Nelson that contract last season. If at all possible They should trade him

Doug McDermott will return to Creighton for his senior season.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The real problem with the Draft anymore is it is a complete lottery anymore. One breakout/debut season in college does not an NBA player make. Another problem with the "one and done" approach is that this continually compounds itself because every time a guy stays in college and sees his stock drop versus the previous year, more young and inexperienced players will just cash in on their stock value after 1 year.

I'd much rather see these kids stay in college and learn to play the game properly before going pro. If they're good enough to play pro ball after 1 year, they'll be good enough after 2,3 and 4.

The real problem with the Draft anymore is it is a complete lottery anymore. One breakout/debut season in college does not an NBA player make. Another problem with the "one and done" approach is that this continually compounds itself because every time a guy stays in college and sees his stock drop versus the previous year, more young and inexperienced players will just cash in on their stock value after 1 year.

I'd much rather see these kids stay in college and learn to play the game properly before going pro. If they're good enough to play pro ball after 1 year, they'll be good enough after 2,3 and 4.

It's not that simple. Allot of these players come from very poor and disadvantage families. College players are horribly exploited. The University makes millions off their work and they get nothing in return.

The money on offer in the NBA is too great of a draw. The top guys get 4 - 5 million in their 1st year, More money comes in from endorsements.

It's not that simple. Allot of these players come from very poor and disadvantage families. College players are horribly exploited. The University makes millions off their work and they get nothing in return.

The money on offer in the NBA is too great of a draw. The top guys get 4 - 5 million in their 1st year, More money comes in from endorsements.

Ahhhh....I think you're reading a little too much into the poverty levels of Div 1 College Basketball Players. Yes, some are undoubtedly poor/come from poor backgrounds, but this is not the 1970s anymore! The vast majority are from ABC1 socio-economic backgrounds - I recently read a report on this somewhere, I'll try and dig it out.

Also, to say they get nothing in return is slightly erroneous. They get free accomodation and and allowance and basically live like professional athletes for up to 4 years - which in turn allows them to prep for the potential big-paying NBA career. And that's before we talk about boosters.....

I'm not saying the system is without its flaws. The revenue is obscene, but that pays for the arenas, the scholarships, the travel arrangements, the meals, the trainers, the physios etc etc

Can I also give you a scenario? Would it be better to be

Drafted after 1 year and get a big contract, not fulfill your promise and find yourself out of the NBA after 3 or 4 years because you weren't physically or mentally ready to play in that league with all of the additional distractions that go with it (there are MANY examples of this)

OR

Spend 2+ years in college, mature as a player and as a person; maybe go lower in the draft and for less money than you could have had you opted for the Draft after Year 1, but have a lengthy solid, mid-level NBA pay bracket career over 10+ seasons?

I know which I'd rather have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yeah, you'd think it would make sense for both college and the NBA to have players spend minimum 2 years in college, college game improves, NBA gets better quality rookies (probably has hurt the college game more than the NBA).

As David Stern said, the NBA doesn't have a rule that you have to spend 1 year in college, it has a rule that you can't play until you're 19. Players are free to play in other pro leagues, but most don't. I wonder if that's the thinking, that if you extend that age-restriction to 20, you will see more players go to other leagues, potentially losing them for good.

I think the college experience makes them a bit more rounded as people as well. Seems like some of the guys who came straight from high-school to the pros were a bit immature personality-wise (e.g. Lebron, Dwight Howard).

Interesting to see if the one-and-done leads to more draft unpredictability. I don't think this is a bad side-effect, it's a bit boring if everyone knows who the best players are, and I'm not totally comfortable with rewarding teams that suck.

We've seen a few good players come from lower down in the draft in recent years....Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, Chandler Parsons, Jimmy Butler. So interesting to see if that trend continues.

But yeah, taking everything into account, I think I'd rather see them stay in college for a minimum of 2 years.

While I would advise any player to come out of college as soon as they can with the situation as it is now, I wish the college game would go back to like it was in the 1980's. Players staying in school for their full scholarship and developing big rivalries over their 3-4 years, thus dramatically improving the standard of the game and making players more ready for the NBA. I was too young to see much of the game back then but looking back at documentaries college ball seemed great!

Could you imagine LeBron, Melo, Howard etc battling it out in college for 3-4 years before coming out to the NBA like Jordan, Drexler, Olajuwon etc did in the 80's!

Did you even read what I said? Of course there are exceptions (which I alluded to), but this type of back-story is the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Wider issues than basketball going on there, but what I took from it, it's even more of a reason to strengthen the college game. From the article...
    Data from the NCAA shows that just 3 percent of male high school basketball players go on to play in college; only 0.03 percent go on to play professionally.

So you're a 100 times more likely to get a college scholarship than make the pros. If you're looking for a way out of poverty, getting an education is a much better bet than trying to be a pro basketball player.

Get the top players to stay 2 years, and you're promoting college as a goal in itself. The one-and-done, where they're staying for less than a year, is sending a worse message, that it's a brief stepping-stone, when that's a very unrealistic goal for most people.

One of my favorite players in this class. I think Michael Carter Williams has great potential to be a quality guard in the NBA.

order1w.png
    order2l.png

Andrew Wiggins chooses The Kansas Jayhawks. What a score for the University of Kansas.
    Recruting the player regarded as the best player out of high school since Lebron James

This guy is the real deal.

A new name for this year's draft. Straight outta Germany. PG Dennis Schroeder

• Advertisement

Draft lottery is tomorrow.

I know it has benefited my own team greatly in the last few years, but would people prefer the lottery to be scrapped and the draft done on an NFL like basis where the worst team gets the #1 pick, second worst gets the #2 pick etc or are you happy with the lottery as it is?

Advertisement