Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you don't pay your ESB?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 8:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in a dispute with ESB at the moment over an outstanding amount (long story).

I phoned them several times and each person I spoke to was as rude, ignorant and incompetent as the next.

I phoned airtricity and their rates are 16% cheaper with a further 14% discount when paid by DD. I have set up an account with bills to be paid by DD.

Is there anyway ESB can come after me for the outstanding amount? They can't exactly cut the power off as it is now being supplied by Airtricity!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Airticity get their electricity from esb..
    However, I don't know if esb can stop supplying you via them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Can you change to airtricity if you have an overdue bill?
    I understood that a bill overdue by sixty days or owing greater than 250 euro would cause a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Is there anyway ESB can come after me for the outstanding amount? They can't exactly cut the power off as it is now being supplied by Airtricity!

yes, they can take you to court over it, which if a judgement is made against you will effect your credit rating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'd double check the rates Airtricity are quoting you tbh. 16% cheaper and an extra 14% off for Direct Debit? Usually before they only offer an extra 2% off if paying with DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expect eirtricity to not be able to transfer the metering.

Also, those rates are clearly incorrect and even then, their standing charges are far higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

their rates are 16% cheaper with a further 14% discount when paid by DD.
    Get these rates written down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

the_syco wrote: »
    Get these rates written down.

Actually, my bad. The rates are not 16% cheaper. They are 14% cheaper because of direct debit payments.

Standing charge is 8c per day more expensive. 49c vs 41c.

I'm currently in dispute with ESB over my bill (280e). Airtricity didn't seem to care about this thou as I'm paying by DD.

Received a closing bill from ESB for 4 days between last bill and closing of a/c. No contact made by ESB otherwise on the issue.

I'd wonder if ESB disconnects you, how much do you have to pay Airtricity to reconnect? I ask as reconnection fees are usually around the €150 mark.

I'd wonder if ESB disconnects you, how much do you have to pay Airtricity to reconnect? I ask as reconnection fees are usually around the €150 mark.

ESB said they charge 75e to disconnect and that Air WOULD charge me 75e to re-connect.

However, when I phoned Air they told me they didn't charge any re-connection fee.

^^ I'd get that in writing before you do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Yawns wrote: »
    ^^ I'd get that in writing before you do anything.
    Not to mention your credit rating. 5 years with no access to credit cards, loan, mortage etc. 5 years is a long time with an impaired credit rating.

Electric Ireland cannot touch his credit rating.

EI can only affect a credit rating if they're members of the Irish Credit Bureau, and I don't think they are.

It's no longer possible to "debt hop" so Airtricity wouldn't be allowed to take over the supply unless the EI debt was cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yawns wrote: »
    Electric Ireland cannot touch his credit rating.
    Being sued and having a court judgement just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Don’t burn your bridges with the ESB because people that I know who changed to Airtricity ended up going back to the bad old ESB and were glad they had the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Just on the re and disconnection fees, they're the same across the board. Whichever supplier wants it done requests ESB Networks to do it, ESB Networks charge the supplier and this is charged to the customer.

I should specify I was never actually disconnected. I had an electricity supply when I switched.

They took over my account, even though I had a (disputed) outstanding ESB bill.

I should specify I was never actually disconnected. I had an electricity supply when I switched.

They took over my account, even though I had a (disputed) outstanding ESB bill.
    Okay, things seem a bit muddled.

Who are you with now?
    Why do you dispute the charges?
    Are you renting, or do you own the property?

Okay, things seem a bit muddled.

Who are you with now?
    Why do you dispute the charges?
    Are you renting, or do you own the property?

I was renting out the property. Moved back in on my own in November. The ESB is and was in my name. The tenant paid ESB to end of Oct., for two months it was 100e. He paid it and moved out.

I moved in, took storage heaters out, installed Lucht heaters, don't use emersion just electric shower. Was expecting a low bill. Bill came to 280e for two months.

The last bill was obviously a gross under estimate by them and they added on the difference to this bill. I didn't realise it at the time, tenant moved out, my own fault for not expecting this but I was away on holidays at the time.

Phoned them up, dealt with 3 ignorant pricks on 3 separate occassions, had enough and moved to Airtricity.

ESB sent me a closing bill. Will see how Airtricity go, but based on people's reactions here..maybe I was a bit too quick to make the jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Devil's advocate here - Regardless of cause or circumstance, there is an amount owing that's accurate?

From what I can gather, your previous tenant has been 'lucky' to receive a low estimate bill and now you are left with the actual cost.

As bitter the pill is to swallow, either chase the previous tenant for what effectively is an unpaid bill(unlikely but what harm) or stump up yourself. A harsh lesson to learn but I imagine it won't happen you again.

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here - Regardless of cause or circumstance, there is an amount owing that's accurate?

From what I can gather, your previous tenant has been 'lucky' to receive a low estimate bill and now you are left with the actual cost.

As bitter the pill is to swallow, either chase the previous tenant for what effectively is an unpaid bill(unlikely but what harm) or stump up yourself. A harsh lesson to learn but I imagine it won't happen you again.

Exaclty. Tenant was lucky and there are two chances of getting anything off him.
    The reasons I am pissed with ESB:

1) Why do they have to make such a gross underestimation

2) All three of the customer service reps were as thick, ill informed, unhelpful and ignorant as the next.

I got burnt, will put that bill on the long finger as more pressing bills to pay but will probably end up paying it eventually.

Aye it seems as if there is nothing to dispute here. Bill was in your name and estimate readings were sent that the tenant paid. Hindsight is great in all I know, but you really should have had the bill in the tenants name or submitted meter readings once a month to ensure correct usage. Ultimately I think the actual reading bill you got from ESB is your responsibility and you should pay it. You could try to get the tenant to pay but how likely is that going to be. As said above, it's one of those expensive lessons and at some stage everyone learns one.

There is a chance that the transfer over won't go through but even if it does, ESB will still be sending out reminders for the bill.

Exaclty. Tenant was lucky and there are two chances of getting anything off him.
    The reasons I am pissed with ESB:

1) Why do they have to make such a gross underestimation

2) All three of the customer service reps were as thick, ill informed, unhelpful and ignorant as the next.

I got burnt, will put that bill on the long finger as more pressing bills to pay but will probably end up paying it eventually.

I hear you....I don't understand their estimate structure whatsoever. If it was based on past usage then it should be more accurate than it is, although there has to be allowance for different tenant/different usage on your part I suppose.

Dealing with these guys can be as frustrating as constipation, more so when you are dealing with inept reps. Give them a payment plan that suits you, at least show you are trying to deal with the bill.

Best of luck with it

This is why I shouldn't leave tabs open too long, you've already replied :D

I moved in, took storage heaters out, installed Lucht heaters, don't use emersion just electric shower. Was expecting a low bill. Bill came to 280e for two months.
    Why did you expect a low bill for using electric heaters?

Why did you expect a low bill for using electric heaters?

I got one of these installed..

http://www.smartelectrics.ie/lucht-radiators

They are 60% cheaper than storage heaters to run. Just switch them on and off as required.

I use them usually just for 2 hours in the evening, leave them on overnight 1-2 nights a week to dry clothes, and during day at weekends.

My closing bill for ESB included 4 days of current bill cycle. Worked out as 2e per day (good for winter).

Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

3 ignorant pricks
    Moderate your language please.

Victor wrote: »
    Moderate your language please.

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I had a similar experience to the OP with Electric Ireland and found them to be entirely incompetent and have serious problems with their internal communications. Due to this i had to pay them money for a debt which they had previously indicated had been wiped (through a third party).. In the end i have to pay and will never ever go back. The whole experience was appalling, for example getting letters threathening to cut off my supply for an unpaid bill which had (A) been previously explained and (B) wasnt paid due to a block put on by the company THEMSELVES!!

You cant change if you have a bill of greater than 250 outstanding. Think you are in a tough position OP

• Advertisement

Apologies

I salute your patience and acceptance;)

Advertisement