Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Are we over estimating this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

oterra wrote: »
    Are we over estimating this?

No doubt! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

12z's looking pretty good so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thats it I am going to ring ME and ask why they have not even issued a low level windchill warning for the elderly etc etc

Could be a Michael Fish moment later....

I can just imagine Gerry comes out to present the TV forecast later, saying....

Earlier on today, apparently, a man rang met eireann and said he heard there was epic snow on the way; well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't, but having said that, actually, the weather will become colder....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

tasty GFS 12z, if there isn't explosive convection from the early hours of Monday morning all through monday I will be amazed (if charts don't change obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pretty widespread -12s, pretty incredible! Lets hope the Irish sea doesn't let us down, if anything the longevity of the severe pulse is being extended a few hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

got through to Pat Clark and he reckons they have been warning about the upcoming forecast and severe cold. He said its not usual ME policy to issue wind chill warning but it will be mentioned to his boss for later forecasts. I told him I felt they were underestimating the cold event and he said they are not and have included cold warnings on numerous occasions. Interesting to see if this evenings forecasts mention wind chill!!

well done, good call. i'm struggling that ME hav'nt launched an amber warning yet??? its a great system?

Whatever happens Monday could be an exceptionally cold day, do we have any records at hand for march to compare to?

Whatever happens Monday could be an exceptionally cold day, do we have any records at hand for march to compare to?

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

wow, UKMO has -12 over majority of the country @72hrs

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »

I'd say WC is looking for records for low daily maxima - harder to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

delw wrote: »
    wow, UKMO has -12 over majority of the country @72hrs

Looks very similar to the GFS up to a point then the low clears quicker and the north easterlies topple into a slack northerly by tuesday. While the GFS keeps a stiff north easterly over us longer due to the slower moving low.

Edit: I got timings wrong on UKMO. They are more similar than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The UKMO is indeed bitter.
    With that level of upper cold why oh why are the ppn charts saying bone dry
    The ppn charts cannot be ignored guys whether you like it or not!!

If it plays out as the GFS is suggesting, do you reckon it'd be cold enough to have lying snow for quite a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Pretty widespread -12s, pretty incredible! Lets hope the Irish sea doesn't let us down, if anything the longevity of the severe pulse is being extended a few hrs

I take it there's no "snowstorm" as mt was saying for the south. Think Waterford will get anything? I know it's really hard to say atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The UKMO is indeed bitter.
    With that level of upper cold why oh why are the ppn charts saying bone dry
    The ppn charts cannot be ignored guys whether you like it or not!!

The NAE precip charts are better though. Wait and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

244220.png

Nananananannanana streaaaammmerrrr ... ... BATMAN.... oh wait no.... STReamer! ... Streamer... streamer... :D

Wouldn't really pay much attention to the coarse gm ukm for precip formation in the Irish sea

Wouldn't really pay much attention to the coarse gm ukm for precip formation in the Irish sea

Would agree there but I find the gfs ppn charts to be exceptionally accurate. Saying that the gfs at least shows some light ppn on windward coasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

And at what time should the lamp post watching begin?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I take it there's no "snowstorm" as mt was saying for the south. Think Waterford will get anything? I know it's really hard to say atm

YES .... That low close to the south coast means it could get heavy at times.

244222.png

Of course this could change more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Interesting developments here. Could be snow at my location (+250M Wicklow) from midday Sunday. Lower elevations should start seeing snow later, maybe 18:00?

Well for all the 'Cork never gets snow' mockers out there you might get a slap of a wet fish because we are poised Sunday evening for a spell of snow. Where's sunbabe and co gone, our day is here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Well for all the 'Cork never gets snow' mockers out there you might get a slap of a wet fish because we are poised Sunday evening for a spell of snow. Where's sunbabe and co gone, our day is here lol

I'm east cork/west Waterford boarder. I'm praying for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Would agree there but I find the gfs ppn charts to be exceptionally accurate. Saying that the gfs at least shows some light ppn on windward coasts

Your posts can be contradictary sometimes. It's quite confusing for newbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Watching matters closely here but a bit sceptical of snowfall given the previous let downs. A lot can change but it certainly looks like being very cold. If this is still likely by sunday morning then hopes will start to get high..

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I have the feeling its going to be a very busy few days for the Mods of the weather forum :D

Hopefully we get pasted with the white stuff :cool:

Im in a good position anyway, just off the Irish Sea and up a good height aswell

Looking forward to seeing this roll out over the next few days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

LOL! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/03/08/basis12/ukuk/th85/13031009_0812.gif
    The 129dam line is covering much of the east coast, including most of Wicklow, by 9am!

Though the NAE also puts precipitation far to the south by Sunday.

• Advertisement

Sorry will try to clarify better,

CORK will get pasted whilst the rest of the country remains dry.
    My apologies! :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement