Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sorry will try to clarify better,

CORK will get pasted whilst the rest of the country remains dry.
    My apologies! :D:D

Don't be tempting fate! Its going to be a very close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

I'm east cork/west Waterford boarder. I'm praying for some.

you know thats six times, in this thread, that you asked about snow in waterford??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    I have the feeling its going to be a very busy few days for the Mods of the weather forum :D

Hopefully we get pasted with the white stuff :cool:

Im in a good position anyway, just off the Irish Sea and up a good height aswell

Looking forward to seeing this roll out over the next few days!!!

I am going to cause so much disruption! The Mods won't know what hit them! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

aboyro wrote: »

you know thats six times, in this thread, that you asked about snow in waterford??

I'm sooooooooo sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

It's interesting that so many people are saying it'll be too dry for snow in the East or that the pressure will be too high etc.

We heard that during the last 'cold' spell and it ended up snowing practically the entire day in Dublin on Saturday 23rd February (albeit lightish snow).

I wouldn't underestimate the power of the Irish sea and streamer activity. I'm not saying it will snow in the East but it certainly can't be ruled out.

During the winters of 2009 and 2010 Met E AND the BBC consistently failed to accurately forecast the heavy streamers which developed. It's tough to forecast but with such low uppers you'd have to think a few showers will form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS throwing up another countrywide snow event on Wednesday night at t+132

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

precipitation charts are only useful for those on the south coast looking for frontal precip. As we all know, no model is good at modelling convective snowfall that forms on the Irish sea. Will never forget that day in Dec 2010 where the gfs was showing 0.5 mm of precipitation and we got 12cm

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

arctictree wrote: »
    GFS throwing up another countrywide snow event on Wednesday night at t+132

Lets get Monday right first! All this excitement has me in knots. Snow chains at the ready, sleigh out and salopettes back down from the attic.....:D

I will have so much egg on my face if we get what Washington got earlier in the week :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

youknowwho wrote: »
    Lets get Monday right first! All this excitement has me in knots. Snow chains at the ready, sleigh out and salopettes back down from the attic.....:D

I will have so much egg on my face if we get what Washington got earlier in the week :mad:
      The first rule of snow chasing is tell no one about it

That way you dont look silly if it dont come off :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

oops.......................:o:D

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Sorry will try to clarify better,

CORK will get pasted whilst the rest of the country remains dry.
      My apologies! :D:D

Don't jinx it! :(

3. Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I thought the first rule of snow chasing is there are no rules?

4. Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yeah but when it does come off think how great it feels
      nDD5KNn.gif

5. Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I am just so excited, like a kid waiting for Santa! How could I keep it to myself.....

6. Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

DOCARCH wrote: »
      I thought the first rule of snow chasing is there are no rules?

The first rule of snow club is there is no snow club.

7. Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

It's a beautiful evening here in NE Kildare, temps about 11 degrees, it really feels like spring, crazy to think that in under 48 hours it'll feel like Siberia.

8. Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like MT will have to do some serious backtracking when he wakes up.
      All models agreeing now on quite a dry affair away from favoured coasts esp the East and South
      No hurricanes, earthquakes or snow tornado's in the offing
      Yes, it's just gonna be plain old cold (apart from Cork lol)

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Looks like MT will have to do some serious backtracking when he wakes up.
      All models agreeing now on quite a dry affair away from favoured coasts esp the East and South
      No hurricanes, earthquakes or snow tornado's in the offing
      Yes, it's just gonna be plain old cold (apart from Cork lol)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:(

10. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Just want to show how GFS has shown Midday Monday from 102hrs out and now 72hrs out. A good bit of modeling and an upgrade.

13031112_0812.gif

13031112_0706.gif

11. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

No backtracking here. Play on.

12. Advertisement
    13. Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

MT An update please:)

14. Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

There'll be some serious head scratching going on by many people on the east coast by Monday night wondering "where did this come from" "wasn't expecting this". I'm no weather expert but I know a streamer machine when I see one. Only problem is I'm gonna miss it as I'm stuck in the cork snow shield this time round. Enjoy it!

15. Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

sully2010 wrote: »
      There'll be some serious head scratching going on by many people on the east coast by Monday night wondering "where did this come from" "wasn't expecting this". I'm no weather expert but I know a streamer machine when I see one. Only problem is I'm gonna miss it as I'm stuck in the cork snow shield this time round. Enjoy it!

Depending on the strength of the streamers. In the past, East coast streamers travelled the whole way across the country so you can never rule it out. That's when you enter nowcasting territory.

16. Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not a mention of the word snow in the entire forecast. My oh my.

17. Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

No mention of snow if met eireanns forecast this evening... They've done this before...and were right! I feel nauseous :(

18. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm confused, some posters saying its goin to be totally dry others saying it'll be snowmageddon? Surely there is some consistency at this stage?

19. Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Not a mention of the word snow in the entire forecast. My oh my.

Not even the word schleeet from Gerry. They have been right this winter but not 2 weekends ago and it will snow on Monday. I cant fathom why they fear being wrong so much. I mean its the coldest pool of air over us in 2 years!

20. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

"Perhaps a few wintry showers"

I had to pause and rewind it to make sure I hadn't gone mad.

Anyway I'll Leave it at that.

Roll on the Streamers.....

21. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Met eireann seem to have a bit of fascination for 'wintry showers'. What does that mean? I mean it could be anything from cold rain to snow?!

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It looks very dry to me Sunday night into Monday with only some light showers in some coastal counties. Maybe enough for a dusting in places.

I really do not understand some of the expectations on here and MT's forecast of a potential blizzard-like snowstorm has me scratching my head to be honest.

13031100_0812.gif
      13031112_0812.gif

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement