Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

It's a broad spectrum analysis to cover all bases.

Anyway Let's try not Met bash. Alot of model talk ahead.

Look again.

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Im off for a few pints with the phone with boards app (very unsocial!), Guinness agus model watching, any stupid snowmaggeddan posts from me should be ignored!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well we have MT at one side and Met Eireann on the other.
    Both equally wrong in my view to what the charts are showing
    Here would be my forecast going by what the charts are showing,

"Rain in the South slowly clearing on Sunday evening, possibly turning to sleet and snow as it does so. From then until Wednesday we will be under a bitterly cold airmass with Monday in particular seeing temps not far above freezing. In the wind it will feel more like -5. Monday will start with snow showers on windward coasts and these will become more widespread for a time giving a risk of accumulations in any heavier showers. North, East and South coasts most at risk. Very severe frost will set in Monday night leading to icy conditions where any snow lies.
    Keep up to date with the forecasts over the wkd as things remain uncertain"

Now in my view that's what the models are showing and what should be forecast.
    I don't mind MT having the odd ramp but why Paid professionals cannot state it as what the models show is mind boggling. I mean afterall the East and South coasts must represent 50% of the poplulation of Ireland who are at threat of at least some disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

In reality the only reason the Met have had a few accurate forecasts during projected cold on here has been due to model output failure, the met just seem to forecast the status quo and ignore any anomalous forecast in belief it will revert to a more benign outcome. Perhaps this does work but it has the potential to backfire big time.

Sub -10c 850hPa temps in a slack ene flow in relatively unstable atmosphere will at least result in scattered deposits of 3-5cm in eastern areas in the most conservative forecast using current output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Have to agree with some of the above posts, It looks mostly dry apart from costal areas in the South and East. If streamers do pop up like 2 weeks ago, Its going to be a now cast situation and ME wont ramp that up until tomorrow or even Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Have to agree with some of the above posts, It looks mostly dry apart from costal areas in the South and East. If streamers do pop up like 2 weeks ago, Its going to be a now cast situation and ME wont ramp that up until tomorrow or even Sunday.

Correction, ME will never ramp streamers, they have a complete inability to predict their existence.

Sorry I know off topic and not an ME bashing post but ME seem too underestimate the ability of the snow machine that is the Irish Sea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

You mean when streamers pop up,not if surely?
    Its a tad risque as wc says to not inform people Friday of a fairly high percentage risk of lying snow monday in a commuter belt of 1 million plus people..
    Just a tad risky given the synoptics n'est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i was very sceptical of met eireann until this winter, they pretty much got all the cold/snow forcasts correct even when a lot of people on here where sayin " there gonna have to backtrack big time when the snow comes" so i for one am going along with there forecast and taking the cold with wintry showers setup.....not very exciting but it is what it is. too many times in here have people ( understandably) got carried away with model runs and over estimated the situation:rolleyes:.....after all that i hope im totally wrong and its thundersnow all the way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Would we be looking at large amounts of snowfall if these streamers in the east were to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I think it will be a nowcast but we do well when its not expected, just relax and wait and see !

Midday Monday from ECM

I remember precip like this turning out much more than forecast as model will not pick up the power of our snow machine until the final hour.

It all starts THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. :D

244236.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Redsunset wrote: »
    Midday Monday from ECM

I remember precip like this turning out much more than forecast as model will not pick up the power of our snow machine until the final hour.

It all starts THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. :D

244236.png

Yep, once you see anything on them type of charts things are usually a lot more active, they just don't have the resolution.

Going to be interesting no matter what happens. There will be a slot where we simply won't have to worry about marginality with subzero dewpoints and 850hPa temps near -12c :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

According to Yr.no east coast to get snow all day Monday and tbh I have found them to be very accurate this Winter. Very excited here in Wicklow town...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Simon keeling thinks we will have some snow Sunday and especially monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Look back a few weeks and the slack flow that we had with -6 uppers (i think too lazy too check) and a lot of places on the east coast seen snow i even had a nice covering down here.

This is a whole different ball game with strong NE winds and -12 uppers.

IMO I think Met eireann will come on board tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Simon keeling thinks we will have some snow Sunday and especially monday
    The last two images are based on the this mornings gfs 0z so i think it is safe to say there will be changes come the 12z and tomorrow's 0z, fingers crossed i guess.

Keep it civil. Final warning.

extreme_forecast_index_2t!3!Europe!2m%20temperature!pop!od!enfo!efi_2ti!2013030812!chart.gif

Also I had a look at the 50 ensemble members from the 12z ECM at 60 and 72 hrs and there is some stunning solutions that fall more in line with widespread snow cover. But we won't worry about that.;)

Eyes down for an 18z snowstorm !! ha

• Advertisement

Severe snowstorm to blast nw france perhaps southern UK Sun into Mon. Coldest air of winter into UK on the way

Joe B has also tweeted these. Out of date now but you get the idea.

week ago tweeted for the UK to not buy false spring I saw being touted. Truly amazing snow/temp 4cast for coming wk pic.twitter.com/gtwmAucYF2

BEz_oCUCEAMHDAj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Streamers, they look beautiful on the rain-dars, when they start dropping there load, tis just magical. I'll be happy with 1-2cms. Setup is right for us to enjoy it too.

Still a few more runs till I'll look at precip charts, anyways I much prefer radar and lamp post watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just looked at Met Eireann forecast after the 9pm news, dont see much to get excited about, few snow showers on Monday the dry and cold after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not inclined to change much about the east coast streamers in the forecast, as some have pointed out, global models do not generally forecast these very well and I have been relying more on a meso-scale modelling based on the general input from the model consensus. The other portion of the snowfall potential, namely parts of south being hit Sunday night from the low tracking towards Cornwall, remains a possibility but I was always more concerned about large-scale streamer development merging with that feature.

As to the suggested "half-way house" forecast being a case of Met-E and MT equally wrong, I don't think that's valid, the half-way house sounds almost like my forecast and widespread accumulations of snow is a lot closer to what I'm saying than "severe frost and mixed wintry showers" -- not that I'm here to make trouble with the Met service, but I don't see that as half-way at all. It may however prove to be correct, when I say something about "blizzards" I am going by what I perceive to be common perceptions of that term as disruptive snowfall events, and to me, 5-15 cm of snow in Dublin coming down fairly hard in the daytime would be disruptive. Whether that's technically a blizzard or not, I don't know, over here it would need to be more like 30 cm of snow and strong winds, limited visibility. There may be some of that by Monday in parts of England and possibly in Wicklow.

The guidance has not changed much overnight (in my time zone) and continues to spread over a slight range, so the best idea for now I believe is to concentrate on the potential for significant streamers and keep a watch on the south coast for any incursions from the Atlantic system (which I think is going to brush past but sometimes you can get a parallel inland band representing the arctic front in the circulation, fed by streamers). I am expecting that streamer development will be robust starting about midnight Sunday and that there will be two main bands, one running across Drogheda into Meath and Kildare and possibly Laois before weakening around Tipps, and one possibly over Dublin at times then shifting south later to cover most of Wicklow.

If these streamers develop then they have potential to become heavy, and being steady-state then some heavy amounts can be created in some locations. I guess what surprises me about the Met forecast is not the conservative approach but the lack of coverage of what appears to be at least a 50-50 chance of accumulating snow right in the heaviest population zone that they serve. But kudos to them if it doesn't snow (and I won't try to spin a 2cm flurry in Arklow or some minor event, let's set a reasonable bar and say there would have to be lying snow reported by 25 different observers at their homes not driving around the Sally Gap or wherever).

In the back of my mind also is the "what if" scenario of that low pushing north of the forecast track, they seem to do that almost effortlessly on the other side of the country. In that case, we would be looking at a very severe event. I haven't looked at all permutations of the GFS but I'll bet there's one or two showing that scenario. But for now, that very disruptive scenario seems likely to be heading towards Cornwall and Devon, Somerset, inland south central counties of England and later on northern France and southeast England.

Somebody was wondering about travel disruptions later in the week -- don't think that will be a problem for you unless you're trying to drive into some isolated high elevation location in Dartmoor, by Wednesday any disruptive snow in England should be either cleared away or melted in the daytime sun, but some higher parts of Devon and Somerset could be cut off for a few days, as well as conceivably a few parts of north Yorkshire, if the North Sea develops its share of streamers. Now if this had been January, there would be a longer spell of lying snow after any storms.

I think in general we dodged the bullet of last-minute downgrade at 12z, can see from the 18z map that all elements of the developing scenario are coming together (cold advection into Poland and northern Germany is rapid) and that brings me to the last part of my homily, which is, respect the thickness advection. Ireland is well into the 522 dam contour and almost into the 516 dam contour by Sunday midnight as it approaches Belfast and then all models show the -10 C 850 mb zone covering all of Ireland at some point Sunday night. There's a 30 knot E-NE gradient and dew points near -7 C in England advecting across the Irish Sea. It takes a brave soul to picture no snow in this scenario, I guess some are saying I'm out on a limb, would have to wonder if it isn't the other way around given the synoptics. Probably as always a middle course will verify but it's interesting I just went through the exact opposite of this on an American weather forum by suggesting (in a contest rather than a discussion) very low snowfall numbers for DC and BWI, in fact one person suggested that my forecast be edited out of the thread because it would prevent the spread of panic -- and in the end my low numbers were too high :D (I said something like one inch of snow at DCA, consensus was ten or fifteen, actual was a rather embarrassing 0.2). That thread has never received a comment since the storm didn't happen.

I am guessing this thread will receive a comment or two if this one doesn't happen. Keep your fingers crossed, and remember Nov/Dec 2010 -- the Irish Sea rules.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just looked at Met Eireann forecast after the 9pm news, dont see much to get excited about, few snow showers on Monday the dry and cold after that.

As mentioned before, this will be more than likely a streamer event, ME generally don't take these sort of event into account in their forecasts, they seem to forget that the Irish Sea is a snow making machine especially with the synoptic's that are nailed in for Sunday and Monday. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

MT whats St Patricks day loking like I saw a mention of possible storm

Well, the precip charts are beefed up on this run !

That low has nudged a bit north :D

18z:

prectypeuktopo.png

12z:

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible to put "excited" and Gerry Murphy in the same sentence.

• Advertisement

Not inclined to change much about the east coast streamers in the forecast, as some have pointed out, global models do not generally forecast these very well and I have been relying more on a meso-scale modelling based on the general input from the model consensus. The other portion of the snowfall potential, namely parts of south being hit Sunday night from the low tracking towards Cornwall, remains a possibility but I was always more concerned about large-scale streamer development merging with that feature.

As to the suggested "half-way house" forecast being a case of Met-E and MT equally wrong, I don't think that's valid, the half-way house sounds almost like my forecast and widespread accumulations of snow is a lot closer to what I'm saying than "severe frost and mixed wintry showers" -- not that I'm here to make trouble with the Met service, but I don't see that as half-way at all. It may however prove to be correct, when I say something about "blizzards" I am going by what I perceive to be common perceptions of that term as disruptive snowfall events, and to me, 5-15 cm of snow in Dublin coming down fairly hard in the daytime would be disruptive. Whether that's technically a blizzard or not, I don't know, over here it would need to be more like 30 cm of snow and strong winds, limited visibility. There may be some of that by Monday in parts of England and possibly in Wicklow.

The guidance has not changed much overnight (in my time zone) and continues to spread over a slight range, so the best idea for now I believe is to concentrate on the potential for significant streamers and keep a watch on the south coast for any incursions from the Atlantic system (which I think is going to brush past but sometimes you can get a parallel inland band representing the arctic front in the circulation, fed by streamers). I am expecting that streamer development will be robust starting about midnight Sunday and that there will be two main bands, one running across Drogheda into Meath and Kildare and possibly Laois before weakening around Tipps, and one possibly over Dublin at times then shifting south later to cover most of Wicklow.

If these streamers develop then they have potential to become heavy, and being steady-state then some heavy amounts can be created in some locations. I guess what surprises me about the Met forecast is not the conservative approach but the lack of coverage of what appears to be at least a 50-50 chance of accumulating snow right in the heaviest population zone that they serve. But kudos to them if it doesn't snow (and I won't try to spin a 2cm flurry in Arklow or some minor event, let's set a reasonable bar and say there would have to be lying snow reported by 25 different observers at their homes not driving around the Sally Gap or wherever).

In the back of my mind also is the "what if" scenario of that low pushing north of the forecast track, they seem to do that almost effortlessly on the other side of the country. In that case, we would be looking at a very severe event. I haven't looked at all permutations of the GFS but I'll bet there's one or two showing that scenario. But for now, that very disruptive scenario seems likely to be heading towards Cornwall and Devon, Somerset, inland south central counties of England and later on northern France and southeast England.

Somebody was wondering about travel disruptions later in the week -- don't think that will be a problem for you unless you're trying to drive into some isolated high elevation location in Dartmoor, by Wednesday any disruptive snow in England should be either cleared away or melted in the daytime sun, but some higher parts of Devon and Somerset could be cut off for a few days, as well as conceivably a few parts of north Yorkshire, if the North Sea develops its share of streamers. Now if this had been January, there would be a longer spell of lying snow after any storms.

I think in general we dodged the bullet of last-minute downgrade at 12z, can see from the 18z map that all elements of the developing scenario are coming together (cold advection into Poland and northern Germany is rapid) and that brings me to the last part of my homily, which is, respect the thickness advection. Ireland is well into the 522 dam contour and almost into the 516 dam contour by Sunday midnight as it approaches Belfast and then all models show the -10 C 850 mb zone covering all of Ireland at some point Sunday night. There's a 30 knot E-NE gradient and dew points near -7 C in England advecting across the Irish Sea. It takes a brave soul to picture no snow in this scenario, I guess some are saying I'm out on a limb, would have to wonder if it isn't the other way around given the synoptics. Probably as always a middle course will verify but it's interesting I just went through the exact opposite of this on an American weather forum by suggesting (in a contest rather than a discussion) very low snowfall numbers for DC and BWI, in fact one person suggested that my forecast be edited out of the thread because it would prevent the spread of panic -- and in the end my low numbers were too high :D (I said something like one inch of snow at DCA, consensus was ten or fifteen, actual was a rather embarrassing 0.2). That thread has never received a comment since the storm didn't happen.

I am guessing this thread will receive a comment or two if this one doesn't happen. Keep your fingers crossed, and remember Nov/Dec 2010 -- the Irish Sea rules.

Ladies and Gentlemen that is how to ramp, MT, I tip my hat to you, and even if this doesn't come off at least you had the cojones to call it as you see it. Respect. :D

In my humble and untrained chart reading opinion we are in for a pasting :D;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement