Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In fairness to MT he has always had the courage to call these events way ahead of ME, I remember over the years he called storms well ahead of ME and they always left it very late to upgrade their forecast, I really hope this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

:D:D:D

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Storm 10 wrote: »
    In fairness to MT he has always had the courage to call these events way ahead of ME, I remember over the years he called storms well ahead of ME and they always left it very late to upgrade their forecast, I really hope this happens

True, but in fairness to Met E, they have more than just their reputation on weather forums on the line. They can't afford to be "courageous", they have to be professional. In saying that, their forecasts this evening aren't exactly screaming professional to me at all.

Anyway. 18z. Quite nice indeed :)
    You see the precip now Maq? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

uksnowrisk.png

Is it just me or does that look like a big middle finger to the Atlantic? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

uksnowrisk.png

The snow shield has stepped down for this event so.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does that look like a big middle finger to the Atlantic? :D

Brilliant, good spot; and yes it does look like the Beast from the East is giving the Atlantic a good "F" you....:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

My iPhone has stopped predicting snow for Monday. That's the GFS model right?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,362 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

braveheart-hold-original.jpg

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    braveheart-hold-original.jpg

Eh???

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

I think Met e will slowly upgrade their forecast with more emphasis of the risk closer to the event. Didn't they get into trouble a few years ago for forecasting snow in Donegal which didn't materialise.

I can't remember the last time we had synoptics like this. It really is extraordinary. -12 uppers and an easterly gale. Negative Dewpoints. And it's March.

I expect the Irish Sea to deliver big beefy showers especially on Monday. I think even coastal east regions will see snow to sea level.

• Advertisement

funny-gif-fox-jumping-snow.gif

DoctorDonnaShock.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Deank wrote: »
    ME generally don't take these sort of event into account in their forecasts, they seem to forget that the Irish Sea is a snow making machine especially with the synoptic's that are nailed in for Sunday and Monday. ;)

244254.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Will someone put up the +48 nae snow / rainfall chart when it comes out ?

On my phone so can't check, ta !

t|nt|n wrote: »

Well for some to be on the beer in Grace's all weekend ;)

Well for some to be on the beer in Grace's all weekend ;)

Oh I wish I was, watching the late late in herselfs house !

Oh I wish I was, watching the late late in herselfs house !

Ah cure for that is to bring your laptop and feign chronic diarrhea and spend the night in the jacks. (don't forget the 6 pack)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

13031018_2_0818.gif

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/03/08/basis18/ukuk/prty/13031018_2_0818.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

latest from ME
    TOMORROW NIGHT: Dry, cold and clear for much of the night, with widespread frosty and possibly icy conditions. Some wintry showers of rain, sleet and snow will feed in from the Irish Sea towards morning, with a dusting of snow likely across the east of Leinster (mainly on higher ground, but also on lower levels here too). Very cold, with overnight lows of -1 to - 4 degrees Celsius (coldest in the northwest), and mainly moderate northeast breezes.
    MONDAY: An extremely cold day with a significant wind chill effect. Many places will be dry with good sunshine, however some wintry showers will continue to feed into Leinster, Munster and east Ulster, streaming in on a stiff northeast flow. Some snow accumulations on lower levels, but amounts will be fairly small. Highest temperatures just 1 to 4 degrees Celsius, but feeling even colder, with a strong northeast gradient. Becoming dry early in the night, with the exception of a few wintry flurries closer to the east coast. Another very cold and frosty night, as northerly winds fall off light, with icy in parts also. Lowest temperatures -1 to -6 degrees Celsius; again coldest in the northwest.
    TUESDAY: A severe frost with ice in parts to begin. Still very cold but holding mainly dry with good sunshine - risk of a few wintry showers along eastern fringes, with one or two rain showers in the northwest later. Highest temperatures only around 4 or 5 degrees Celsius, with mostly moderate northerly winds, occasionally fresh in the afternoon along eastern and southern counties. A sharp frost overnight, again with ice locally.
    WEDNESDAY: Frost and ice in parts early on. Holding dry across most areas with sunny spells, but a few scattered rain showers will feed in from the Atlantic later. Temperatures improving on recent days, but still cool, with afternoon maxima of 5 to 8 degrees Celsius; coolest in the north. Winds will be moderate to fresh northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

mothel wrote: »
    latest from ME
    TOMORROW NIGHT: Dry, cold and clear for much of the night, with widespread frosty and possibly icy conditions. Some wintry showers of rain, sleet and snow will feed in from the Irish Sea towards morning, with a dusting of snow likely across the east of Leinster (mainly on higher ground, but also on lower levels here too). Very cold, with overnight lows of -1 to - 4 degrees Celsius (coldest in the northwest), and mainly moderate northeast breezes.
    MONDAY: An extremely cold day with a significant wind chill effect. Many places will be dry with good sunshine, however some wintry showers will continue to feed into Leinster, Munster and east Ulster, streaming in on a stiff northeast flow. Some snow accumulations on lower levels, but amounts will be fairly small. Highest temperatures just 1 to 4 degrees Celsius, but feeling even colder, with a strong northeast gradient. Becoming dry early in the night, with the exception of a few wintry flurries closer to the east coast. Another very cold and frosty night, as northerly winds fall off light, with icy in parts also. Lowest temperatures -1 to -6 degrees Celsius; again coldest in the northwest.
    TUESDAY: A severe frost with ice in parts to begin. Still very cold but holding mainly dry with good sunshine - risk of a few wintry showers along eastern fringes, with one or two rain showers in the northwest later. Highest temperatures only around 4 or 5 degrees Celsius, with mostly moderate northerly winds, occasionally fresh in the afternoon along eastern and southern counties. A sharp frost overnight, again with ice locally.
    WEDNESDAY: Frost and ice in parts early on. Holding dry across most areas with sunny spells, but a few scattered rain showers will feed in from the Atlantic later. Temperatures improving on recent days, but still cool, with afternoon maxima of 5 to 8 degrees Celsius; coolest in the north. Winds will be moderate to fresh northwest.

At least that's some sort of upgrade from met Eir. :eek:

They obviously listened to the phone call about the wind chill !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

mothel wrote: »
    latest from ME

It seems ME have picked up on the idea of streamers but they seem to have dropped the possibility of snow in the south altogether on Sunday night/Monday morning.

What's the wind like on Monday?

It seems ME have picked up on the idea of streamers but they seem to have dropped the possibility of snow in the south altogether on Sunday night/Monday morning.

They never had it there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Streamers for the East , and frontal snow for the South . :cool:

244255.png

High areas in the S , especially the south east.... you've been warned!!!

What's the wind like on Monday?

NNE and slack, about 11 KMPH according to the latest charts.

So the lack of wind is probably what is making ME cautious.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Streamers for the East , and frontal snow for the South . :cool:

244255.png

High areas in the S , especially the south east.... you've been warned!!!

In layman's terms we're in for a pasting? All digits crossed...

So the lack of wind is probably what is making ME cautious.

No the snow could be heaving out of the heavens in Glasnevin and they'd still say wintery showers.

:confused:

Between 15 and 25 Knots over the course of the day according to the latest GFS, which is about 25-45 kmph.

13031115_0818.gif

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    :confused:

Between 15 and 25 Knots over the course of the day according to the latest GFS, which is about 25-45 kmph.

Was going off Accuweather for wind speed, I favour your readings though, faster convection and all that;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement