Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Isle of Man shadow?

/runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Isle of Man shadow?

/runs away

Mind the door doesn't beat the arse off you several times on the way out, the door is that way >>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Deank wrote: »
    In layman's terms we're in for a pasting? All digits crossed...

I'd go with many areas in the east getting some lying snow. With some disruptive amounts in areas where they seem to train. Wicklow and downwind areas of the mountains could get some decent falls too.

Down south it will be more of a transition with the front , from sleet to snow.. but if it happens quick enough it could lead to disruptive amounts too , close to coasts too and high areas .

Basically... its still GAME ON for the east and south...

EDIT.... HELLO There Mr inversion and breeze!..... I shall be greeting your spawning CU Congestus ....
    Dare i even say CBs? :D
    very happily on monday ! :D
    244257.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Map shows the "MTC" model (preview 9MAR:00z) for snowfall potential from about 12z Sunday to 18z Tuesday although mostly on Monday.

Red arrows show streamer formation expected in schematic form. The northerly in Donegal Bay would come into play later overnight Monday-Tuesday and fade out later Tuesday. By then the Irish Sea streamers would be out in the middle of the Sea heading south towards Britain and Wales.

I also show the southern low which would be about 100-200 miles off the southern margin of this map running parallel to the track as shown. That has been depicted close enough to drop some snow in Cork and Waterford on Sunday night on some models.

Areas of snowfall by expected depth (colour coded) should be read as maximum potential in various regions, as the snowfall will be largely convective there are bound to be gaps between cells and streamers. There are hints of 20 cm + amounts but those are mainly orographic maxima above the elevation where most people live, so 15 cm is probably a realistic upper limit in Leinster except where any streamers might possibly get into thunder-snow production rates.

For the city of Dublin the scale of this map probably obscures what I'm trying to show here which is 5-10 cm near the seafront and inner city increasing to about 8-12 cm west, 10-15 cm higher south.

The snow depicted in Connacht would be more likely to fall Monday night into Tuesday. I am not optimistic for accumulations in Clare, Limerick (city in particular) and Galway but there are scenarios where 1-2 cm could fall there also. Some parts of the west are bound to go snow-free, I would think.

Higher east-facing slopes of Wicklow could be in the "jackpot" and one or two reports of 25-30 cm would not be surprising there.

Ulster is a bit more delicate given the wind directions but could be in for locally heavy accumulations.

I may publish an updated version of this forecast map closer to "snow time" on Sunday afternoon if I have any updated ideas. Really, this will be a nowcasting situation, with streamers in play, the radar is really your model of choice.

244258.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Amazing that at this close point we havent ruled Waterford out yet. We're usually looking for the sunglasses again by now.. and not needing them either.

Can I ask a question regarding Met Eireann and the expert opinions here?
    Is the difference in forecasts tonight a different type of chart interpretation which leads the Met to be more conservative or skeptical of the charts we see posted here, or is it more of a policy of ME's not to 'ramp' until 24 hours out so as not to cause unnecessary concern?

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I'd go with many areas in the east getting some lying snow. With some disruptive amounts in areas where they seem to train. Wicklow and downwind areas of the mountains could get some decent falls too.

Down south it will be more of a transition with the front , from sleet to snow.. but if it happens quick enough it could lead to disruptive amounts too , close to coasts too and high areas .

Basically... its still GAME ON for the east and south...

EDIT.... HELLO There Mr inversion and breeze!..... I shall be greeting your spawning CU Congestus ....
    Dare i even say CBs? :D
    very happily on monday ! :D
    244257.png

Potentially this is on
    507997main_ireland670-1210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Not inclined to change much about the east coast streamers in the forecast, as some have pointed out, global models do not generally forecast these very well and I have been relying more on a meso-scale modelling based on the general input from the model consensus. The other portion of the snowfall potential, namely parts of south being hit Sunday night from the low tracking towards Cornwall, remains a possibility but I was always more concerned about large-scale streamer development merging with that feature.

As to the suggested "half-way house" forecast being a case of Met-E and MT equally wrong, I don't think that's valid, the half-way house sounds almost like my forecast and widespread accumulations of snow is a lot closer to what I'm saying than "severe frost and mixed wintry showers" -- not that I'm here to make trouble with the Met service, but I don't see that as half-way at all. It may however prove to be correct, when I say something about "blizzards" I am going by what I perceive to be common perceptions of that term as disruptive snowfall events, and to me, 5-15 cm of snow in Dublin coming down fairly hard in the daytime would be disruptive. Whether that's technically a blizzard or not, I don't know, over here it would need to be more like 30 cm of snow and strong winds, limited visibility. There may be some of that by Monday in parts of England and possibly in Wicklow.

The guidance has not changed much overnight (in my time zone) and continues to spread over a slight range, so the best idea for now I believe is to concentrate on the potential for significant streamers and keep a watch on the south coast for any incursions from the Atlantic system (which I think is going to brush past but sometimes you can get a parallel inland band representing the arctic front in the circulation, fed by streamers). I am expecting that streamer development will be robust starting about midnight Sunday and that there will be two main bands, one running across Drogheda into Meath and Kildare and possibly Laois before weakening around Tipps, and one possibly over Dublin at times then shifting south later to cover most of Wicklow.

If these streamers develop then they have potential to become heavy, and being steady-state then some heavy amounts can be created in some locations. I guess what surprises me about the Met forecast is not the conservative approach but the lack of coverage of what appears to be at least a 50-50 chance of accumulating snow right in the heaviest population zone that they serve. But kudos to them if it doesn't snow (and I won't try to spin a 2cm flurry in Arklow or some minor event, let's set a reasonable bar and say there would have to be lying snow reported by 25 different observers at their homes not driving around the Sally Gap or wherever).

In the back of my mind also is the "what if" scenario of that low pushing north of the forecast track, they seem to do that almost effortlessly on the other side of the country. In that case, we would be looking at a very severe event. I haven't looked at all permutations of the GFS but I'll bet there's one or two showing that scenario. But for now, that very disruptive scenario seems likely to be heading towards Cornwall and Devon, Somerset, inland south central counties of England and later on northern France and southeast England.

Somebody was wondering about travel disruptions later in the week -- don't think that will be a problem for you unless you're trying to drive into some isolated high elevation location in Dartmoor, by Wednesday any disruptive snow in England should be either cleared away or melted in the daytime sun, but some higher parts of Devon and Somerset could be cut off for a few days, as well as conceivably a few parts of north Yorkshire, if the North Sea develops its share of streamers. Now if this had been January, there would be a longer spell of lying snow after any storms.

I think in general we dodged the bullet of last-minute downgrade at 12z, can see from the 18z map that all elements of the developing scenario are coming together (cold advection into Poland and northern Germany is rapid) and that brings me to the last part of my homily, which is, respect the thickness advection. Ireland is well into the 522 dam contour and almost into the 516 dam contour by Sunday midnight as it approaches Belfast and then all models show the -10 C 850 mb zone covering all of Ireland at some point Sunday night. There's a 30 knot E-NE gradient and dew points near -7 C in England advecting across the Irish Sea. It takes a brave soul to picture no snow in this scenario, I guess some are saying I'm out on a limb, would have to wonder if it isn't the other way around given the synoptics. Probably as always a middle course will verify but it's interesting I just went through the exact opposite of this on an American weather forum by suggesting (in a contest rather than a discussion) very low snowfall numbers for DC and BWI, in fact one person suggested that my forecast be edited out of the thread because it would prevent the spread of panic -- and in the end my low numbers were too high :D (I said something like one inch of snow at DCA, consensus was ten or fifteen, actual was a rather embarrassing 0.2). That thread has never received a comment since the storm didn't happen.

I am guessing this thread will receive a comment or two if this one doesn't happen. Keep your fingers crossed, and remember Nov/Dec 2010 -- the Irish Sea rules.
    i have to say fair dues mt for hanging about here and for your input many people would just walk away but you keep hanging on here with your wisdom and knoweldge keeping us all up to date and i hope you continue to stay here the place just would not be the same without you cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Potentially this is on
    507997main_ireland670-1210.jpg

i hope not cos thats balls for me!!!!!!:(:(

aboyro wrote: »
    i hope not cos thats balls for me!!!!!!:(:(

Just a snapshot in time of what has come before, if (and I think he is) MT is correct on this event most of the south coast will be a fair pasting of sneachta....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Trotter wrote: »
    Amazing that at this close point we havent ruled Waterford out yet. We're usually looking for the sunglasses again by now.. and not needing them either.

Can I ask a question regarding Met Eireann and the expert opinions here?
    Is the difference in forecasts tonight a different type of chart interpretation which leads the Met to be more conservative or skeptical of the charts we see posted here, or is it more of a policy of ME's not to 'ramp' until 24 hours out so as not to cause unnecessary concern?

A bit of both.

This evening's forecasts from MetE are largely based on the 00z ECM model, while here we are looking at the 12z ECM and the latest GFS/UKMO and others. The latest explosion in ramping is due to the the latest 18z GFS.

And then there's MetE conservative approach (especially when Gerry Murphy is on duty) coming into play. I expect them to gradually start mentioning the possibility of significant accumulating and/or disruptive snow as the time draws nearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Potentially this is on

Hmmmmmm, i probably wouldnt go that far lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some of the synoptics of the air mass that MT Cranium highlighted would count against heavy snow!! -7 degree dewpoints is rather too low if anything!! It's not like the Irish Sea is some haven of water vapour with SSTs of scarcely 8 degrees.

But some snow showers will surely develop;)

No reason to walk away, I've been around weather forecasting for such a long time that controversy and dispute are second nature to me, and at this point there is no one event that would change how I feel about doing this, but I could also add, I generally enjoy the atmosphere on the Boards weather forum and find that basically people like to have some fun with the weather which suits my temperament, I am not a gloomy person and if I had a job it might be as a stand-up Canadian (I mean comedian).

Anyway, this will be hugely interesting to follow, come what may (or march).

Somebody was discussing the wind speeds for Monday -- looks like a full gale now which really has that blizzard outcome back on the table, there's a lot of parts of the puzzle lying around, maybe they don't assemble, but maybe they do. As that storm to the south creeps up as close as 49.5N the gradient actually tightens up during the day. I could see M2 wind speeds like 27 knots gusting 45 and M5 35 gusting 52. How this translates onto land and with streamer formation remains to be seen but the wind is coming around to a nearly perfect direction for Leinster snow streamers in two or three bands. I like 030-050 deg better than 060-080, puts the IOM shadow south of Dublin Bay and increases the chances of having two bands converge around the end point of the shadow.

I see the official forecast changing towards the snow scenario, perhaps it will change a bit further by Sunday (Monday for sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some of the synoptics of the air mass that MT Cranium highlighted would count against heavy snow!! -7 degree dewpoints is rather too low if anything!! It's not like the Irish Sea is some haven of water vapour with SSTs of scarcely 8 degrees.

But some snow showers will surely develop;)

But doesn't lower Td's increase the Td depression values thus increase evaporation potential?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Redsunset wrote: »
    Look again.

ukprec.png

Yeah but that is showing just 0.15 to 0.25 of a mm. It's less than 1mm so didn't appear on the WeatherOnline graphics. It would be very light precipitation there.

18Z GFS does show a bit more precip for Sunday evening though.

It will be interesting to see, for this time of year, it's certainly going to feel very cold.

I just think some of the expectations have been set way too high.

I just measured the distance from my atlas, the fetch from Cumbria to Wicklow is 180 km, about the same as the NW-SE fetch on Georgian Bay (eastern Lake Huron) or the main part of Lake Huron from east of Alpena MI where squall lines often generate to landfall near Goderich to Grand Bend, ON.

This is relevant because the Great Lakes generate very heavy snow squalls when their water temperatures are as low as 3-5 C in late January (6-7 as currently in Irish Sea would be typical of Dec there). From my experience with lake effect, the ideal wind speed is about 25-40 knots and a good starting dew point is -12 C, this usually ends up with a saturated -3 C streamer type environment at the far end. Anything much above -5 C and you run the risk of the squall band turning to liquid or mixed showers.

The situation now unfolding should come fairly close to these parameters by Monday 06-09z.

But I would not totally discount the alternative, with snow squalls there are some situations where the models pick up the potential and show the results almost like large-scale synoptic precip, some where they are more sketchy, and some where they miss the potential completely. So on occasion you get snow squall forecasts that are more or less guaranteed to validate, others that are more hit and miss. I think this one is a little less than the guaranteed variety, would set the probability of 5 cm thresh-hold streamers at about 70%, 10 cm about 50-50. Your chances of seeing a 20 cm snowfall drop to perhaps 20-30 per cent. But then that probability sits over a highly populated region, so in terms of measuring "impact" this gets tricky. What has more potential impact, a guaranteed 10 cm in rural Tyrone or a slight risk of 10 cm in Dublin-Meath? An insurance company would measure that by multiplying risk by population. Sorry, Tyrone rural reader who would get the full impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Guys - in winter we usually say that -8 850 uppers = 0 celcius or so at ground level.

What do -8 uppers equal in March and April? Is it still 0 celcius?

Do uppers always increase as the summer progresses? Or do they stay the same and it's just that the stronger sun warms the ground more so that in May or June, for example, -8 uppers might equal 15/16 degrees or so?

Iancar29 wrote: »

Hmmmmmm, i probably wouldnt go that far lol
    Was having my own private ramp, that'll teach me to post my snow fantasies on a public forum. Durty

No reason to walk away, I've been around weather forecasting for such a long time that controversy and dispute are second nature to me, and at this point there is no one event that would change how I feel about doing this, but I could also add, I generally enjoy the atmosphere on the Boards weather forum and find that basically people like to have some fun with the weather which suits my temperament, I am not a gloomy person and if I had a job it might be as a stand-up Canadian (I mean comedian).

Anyway, this will be hugely interesting to follow, come what may (or march).

Somebody was discussing the wind speeds for Monday -- looks like a full gale now which really has that blizzard outcome back on the table, there's a lot of parts of the puzzle lying around, maybe they don't assemble, but maybe they do. As that storm to the south creeps up as close as 49.5N the gradient actually tightens up during the day. I could see M2 wind speeds like 27 knots gusting 45 and M5 35 gusting 52. How this translates onto land and with streamer formation remains to be seen but the wind is coming around to a nearly perfect direction for Leinster snow streamers in two or three bands. I like 030-050 deg better than 060-080, puts the IOM shadow south of Dublin Bay and increases the chances of having two bands converge around the end point of the shadow.

I see the official forecast changing towards the snow scenario, perhaps it will change a bit further by Sunday (Monday for sure).
    Legend

This is relevant because the Great Lakes generate very heavy snow squalls when their water temperatures are as low as 3-5 C in late January (6-7 as currently in Irish Sea would be typical of Dec there). From my experience with lake effect, the ideal wind speed is about 25-40 knots and a good starting dew point is -12 C, this usually ends up with a saturated -3 C streamer type environment at the far end. Anything much above -5 C and you run the risk of the squall band turning to liquid or mixed showers.

The situation now unfolding should come fairly close to these parameters by Monday 06-09z.

Any thoughts about air coming over a cold Canadian landmass over Lake Huron vs. coming over the North Sea then over Britain then the Irish Sea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    But doesn't lower Td's increase the Td depression values thus increase evaporation potential?
    True it does, but we're looking at a situation where easy saturation of the atmosphere is not just the problem (i.e. the air does not become instantly saturated when it waves goodbye to Lancashire) but the total capacity for any level of the atmosphere to hold water is simply not that substantial. I'm very confident of seeing snow (dare I say graupel?!) showers but ongoing thundery bursts of heavy snow? Hmmmm.

In response to MTC's latest post, I'd like to mention that the severe convective weather we saw at the cusp of November/December 2010 occurred with a slacker NE or NNE flow and with upper air temperatures and SSTs somewhat higher. The difference between sea level temps and 850 hPa temps were similar to what's forecast but the net outcome was that there was simply more moisture to play around with. And even in those most ideal circumstances, the influence of the Isle of Man and Anglesey was quite substantial. It remains incredible to me to imagine what would have been seen along the East coast back in 2010 given those synoptics. With some more favourable wind directions, many showers would not have drifted off the coast of Wicklow but would have added to already substantial amounts of snow.

More importantly, going from Cumbria to Wicklow is perhaps too optimal an example and in a situation where wind direction will be shifting substantially over 24 hours. And much rests on how far our relatively warm surface air is advected upwards. CAPE is the key value here and GFS is unconvincing albeit still positive. So I feel inclined to go along MTC's snowfall amount possibilities though perhaps with a 33% reduction across the board.

I guess it's not a big deal and frankly who cares after it's been 2 years since some of us saw lying snow but disruption potential is totally different with 5 cm versus 10 cm depth. Just saying:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

All I was trying to show Maq is that the steamers will be there and models don't handle their intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

MTC , the Boards Weather forum is very lucky to have your input. It would also be great to have some of the other lost members back here too... Su....Dark....etc. I'm sure they are here at the moment as guests and just chomping at the bit to educate some new members. Really looking forward to the evolution of the models over the next couple of days and perhaps a bit of fun with the Kids in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

In fairness to bajer100, thats a spin on an internet meme/phrase and isn't meant in a nasty way. He even has a smiley after it. I think it might have been misconstrued as being an insult.

Now back to our regular programming.

6405816685_d7ef53430c_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Currently baking in Kilkenny City oustskirts. A whopping 9.5c!!
    Should be completely different tomorrow nights by all accounts, yes?

Calibos wrote: »
    In fairness to bajer100, thats a spin on an internet meme/phrase and isn't meant in a nasty way. He even has a smiley after it. I think it might have been misconstrued as being an insult.

Now back to our regular programming.

6405816685_d7ef53430c_n.jpg

I was about to mention the "Go home, you're drunk" meme too, but then again this isn't reddit or *chan so maybe it's a lesson to be learned for all of us. I've been guilty of that mistake in the past too.

That image is a classic :D I'm nervous at the fact that I was basking in snowmagadden at the time and maybe it's my turn to feel the wrath of the IOM shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

some of the charts now remind me of this, but of course its too late in the season now for a heavy snowfall. ;)

Rrea00119170402.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

What has more potential impact, a guaranteed 10 cm in rural Tyrone or a slight risk of 10 cm in Dublin-Meath? An insurance company would measure that by multiplying risk by population. Sorry, Tyrone rural reader who would get the full impact.

No need to be sorry, 10cm is nothing after last month:)

IMAG0260.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So who's up ready for 0z? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

So who's up ready for 0z? :D

Me...my fellow freak haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement