Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I dunno, 5-15cm sounds almost impossible to me WC!

If you look at the UKMO warning, southern England which will be getting by far the most precip out of this, there is only "a risk of 5-10 cm over Dartmoor".

Also in the Chief Forecaster's assessment : " At this stage there is uncertainty about how far north precipitation will push, and also the extent to which snow will settle on the recently warmed ground."

Maq, why do you think -12c to -14c 850 temps over 7c ish water wont deliver considerable streamers to the east coast? The models dont normally pick them up and the met rarely cop on to it either. I wouldnt be surprised if monday was like one of the heavy snow streamer days from Dec 2010! Amazing potential for beafy streamers at any time of the year! If this was may or june and we were looking at similiar temps then I would expect heavy snow then too- exceptionally cold airmass that is very rare here.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sully2010 wrote: »
    They seem to have an overwhelming fear of being wrong. I don't get it, isn't it better to warn people of the risks and if it doesn't come to pass big deal, its the weather at the end of the day. I mean a lot of businesses could lose a lot of money for not being made aware of at least a risk so they can factor in a plan B if there is disruption.
    Would ME be warning county councils and the Dublin Airport Authority of the possibility of disruptive weather behind the scenes?
    I think it is very irresponsible if they are not with approx one third of the population of the country concentrated in the Dublin area, and as above post says it's no big deal if it doesn't happen.
    I would think ME haven't got over that "abnormally" cold forecast a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

How? Lets say a shower drops 2/3mm of precip, and some places get 5 or 6 of these.

Anyway, it's all closing in soon. Even a chance of some snowfall tomorrow mid-morning. But probably wont amount to much.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83582632&postcount=180

FYI I am truly baffled...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I'd like to point out that the GFS is showing more precip for this event (more intense and more widespread) than it was for the big streamer events in 2010.

Also the official forecasts were for 3-5cm and the likes when places got pasted with up to 12 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Maq, why do you think -12c to -14c 850 temps over 7c ish water wont deliver considerable streamers to the east coast? The models dont normally pick them up and the met rarely cop on to it either. I wouldnt be surprised if monday was like one of the heavy snow streamer days from Dec 2010! Amazing potential for beafy streamers at any time of the year! If this was may or june and we were looking at similiar temps then I would expect heavy snow then too- exceptionally cold airmass that is very rare here.

Dan :)

The synoptic/conditions in March are different than if this was happening in the middle of winter.

In terms of Irish Sea streamers, the models are not showing anything other than light shower activity with little or no accumulations. The models certainly showed accumulations for the beefy streamers in 2010 for example. And the models are backed up by the assesments of the professional, qualified forecasters in both Ireland and the UKMO which show they are not overly concerned about accumulations from heavy convective snow showers at all.

Of course everyone wants to see lots of snow. But let's be realistic.

Look at the hi-res UK4 model for 9pm Sunday. There is -10 to -12 uppers over the Irish Sea and East coast here. I've seen more beef in a Tesco burger. :pac:

ukpcp36blend.png

• Advertisement

The synoptic/conditions in March are different than if this was happening in the middle of winter.

In terms of Irish Sea streamers, the models are not showing anything other than light shower activity with little or no accumulations. The models certainly showed accumulations for the beefy streamers in 2010 for example. And the models are backed up by the assesments of the professional, qualified forecasters in both Ireland and the UKMO which show they are not overly concerned about accumulations from heavy convective snow showers at all.

Look at the hi-res UK4 model for 9pm Sunday. There is -10 to -12 uppers over the Irish Sea and East coast here. I've seen more beef in a Tesco burger. :pac:

ukpcp36blend.png

Maq ,in 30 years watching bbc forecasts based on the above,prior to east coast events lately and based on intuition prior to the models existing,the Uk met office have never modeled irish sea streamers properly even when they were in a northerly heading into wales(the only time they need to mention them)
    They do catch features well 24hrs before they get here if they are exiting tbe UK though.
    That famous Ian mcCaskill 'great white siberian army' youtuber from jan 87,I remember see'ing when it was broadcast live.
    My point being,taking the above as gospel is not the way to do this.
    Dublins snow of November/December 2010 should not have happened in the quantity and frequency it did,if you relied on the above to catch streamers.
    Streamer forecasting require a high level of intuition and past experience.and being hit and miss difficult to pinpoint trajectory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the cold is starting already, only 5C here and 13C in the west, quite a temperature gradient over a 100 mile distance

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Nae rain / snowfall at Sat 12 + 42hrs looks dry except the east coast

13031106_2_0912.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Indeed feeling raw here today 5c.

Nice big blob of Donegal coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

If the models are already showing light preciptation its a very good sign. Multiply what they are showing by about 5 and you have a more realistic figure :D Only thing that worries me is the strength of the wind, was reading that 'lake effect' diminishes a lot if the wind goes over 45/50 mph

• Advertisement

13031106_2_0912.gif
    Yeah but it also says the showers turn to rain as they head inland :rolleyes:
    Snow 10 miles out to sea and rain on the coast when dew points are going to be well below zero and all other parameters right for snow.

Kinda says a lot about how unreliable that chart is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm so confused :( think I'm going to attempt to forget about it for another 24hrs....*

*will probably be back in like 10 minutes seeing what else has come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hi Maq, if you live in Dublin don't be worried about this.

As another poster has alluded to, if you live on the east cost of IRELAND then I would not be worried about the BBC or UK Met Office showing no snow for our part of the world.

The week before Christmas 2010, Dublin was plastered with snow (just shy of a foot of snow recorded at Casement on Xmas day as per Met Eireann) - the BBC showed NO SNOW that week. Quite laughable.

Look I don't know whether it will snow tomorrow or Monday but the BBC/UK Met predicted nothing for that week in 2010. The following YouTube video shows what actually occurred!! :D

D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZcMEagq1Io

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some great discussions going on here I must say . Nobody having a go at anyone , just genuine debate ... One thing that can make this forum
    Great when done right . Sadly can't contribute much as I'm
    In work .... Hopefully this evening though . I'm going for 3-5 cms of snow broadly on the easy coast .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

NAE beginning to show up the Isle of Man divide at very coarse levels! A sign of what the enxt 48hrs may look like, likely lots of frustration for many and snow for others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

On the easy coast.

It's ok I was about to purchase some brake discs the other day and let it Freudian slip. Isn't that right whitebriar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If anything the NAE is beginning to pick up on the streamer potential, check the 48hr chart... early Monday is when the fun and games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

HIRLAM (06z) prep projection for 06z Mon to 12z Mon. Shows the well modeled up to now 'streamers' that may well give a dusting but not showing anything vigorous or heavy. That dosen't mean to say there won't be the odd heavy snow shower but I'd not be surprised if this turned out to be a very forgettable event in the history of Irish weather.

5qypVz.gif

What I don't understand is why some people are questioning the modeled intensity of prep simply because it isn't showing a total white out yet at the same time quite willingly accept that the same models are progging the 850 temps and wider pattern with such certainty. :confused:

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

What I don't understand is why some people are questioning the modeled intensity of prep simply because it isn't showing a total white out yet at the same time quite willingly accept that the same models are progging the 850 temps and wider pattern with such certainty. :confused:
    Because history tells us,they model 850 temps well but not the extent of lake effect.
    Remember the 2 to 5 cm's often forecast in Nov 2010? People were digging their cars out.
    Not saying that will happen, but really are glasnevin going to see no lying snow at HQ?
    You'd think so by their forecast.

What's so wrong with mentioning. percentage chances? Before it starts snowing.

Redsunset wrote: »
    On the easy coast.

It's ok I was about to purchase some brake discs the other day and let it Freudian slip. Isn't that right whitebriar. :D
    That's right... :D

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

In fairness, the 850mb temp, for example, is ONE variable so far easier for the models to get right. With precip modelling, many variables have to be taken into account and even then the nature of what eventually happens has a lot of randomness involved. It;s practically impossible to forecast when and where streamers will form and how intense they will get with current technology.

And also history tells us the models generally get the 850s right within 48 hrs, while precip is usually down to radar watching (under these kind of setups).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

4pm updated Hirlam on Dmi.dk showing good activity on the east coast monday, nedbor here http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

No major changes on ME National foreact at 15.50

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

We've seen plenty of examples of good snowy spells of weather for the East coast that were forecasted as nothing more than flurries. I'm very confident that many areas in Leinster should do well, maybe not a complete pasting but certainly something of significance. Ulster, especially the East should do well too.

The West looks staying dry apart from some scattered showers tomorrow, which could turn wintry so don't loose hope.

As for the South, while I went a bit overboard earlier stating that I don't expect to see any snow, I certainly don't think we will see much. The precipitation looks like it will pull away to the south leaving most of Munster dry, maybe a few flurries down along the coast and perhaps even a streamer moving in from Leinster. I certainly can't really believe MT's snowstorm like scenario, even though I'd love to see it. It should be cold though, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

4pm updated Hirlam on Dmi.dk showing good activity on the east coast monday, nedbor here http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

No major changes on ME National foreact at 15.50

That's showing a lot more than it was on the previous run.

Met.ie update:
    Today

Outbreaks of rain and sleet over the northern half of the country for a time tonight, turning to snow at times, but dying out before morning. Dry and rather cloudy elsewhere, apart from isolated showers in the south. Turning much colder as easterly winds strengthen but only patchy frost is likely in the north. Lowest temperatures 0 to +4 degrees Celsius.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Very cold on Sunday. Many places dry with sunny spells but isolated wintry showers will affect eastern and southern counties, with some sleet and snow on higher ground. Winds will be fresh to strong, northeasterly and highest temperatures will range 4 to 8 degrees Celsius.

Outlook

OUTLOOK: Bitterly cold to begin, rather cold thereafter. Overall a lot of dry weather, but some wintry showers likely early on, with bands of rain later in the week. Very frosty conditions throughout, with the risk of ice.

TOMORROW NIGHT: Dry, cold and clear for much of the night, with widespread frosty and possibly icy conditions. Some wintry showers of rain, sleet and snow will feed in from the Irish Sea towards morning, with a dusting of snow likely across the east of Leinster (mainly on higher ground, but also on lower levels here too). Very cold, with overnight lows of -1 to - 4 degrees Celsius (coldest in the northwest), and mainly moderate northeast breezes.
    MONDAY: An extremely cold day with a significant wind chill effect. Many places will be dry with good sunshine, however some wintry showers will continue to feed into Leinster, Munster and east Ulster, streaming in on a stiff northeast flow. Some snow accumulations on lower levels, but amounts will be fairly small. Highest temperatures just 1 to 4 degrees Celsius, but feeling even colder, with a strong northeast gradient. Becoming dry early in the night, with the exception of a few wintry flurries closer to the east coast. Another very cold and frosty night, as northerly winds fall off light, with icy in parts also. Lowest temperatures -1 to -6 degrees Celsius; again coldest in the northwest.
    TUESDAY: A severe frost with ice in parts to begin. Still very cold but holding mainly dry with good sunshine - risk of a few wintry showers along eastern fringes, with one or two rain showers in the northwest later. Highest temperatures only around 4 or 5 degrees Celsius, with mostly moderate northerly winds, occasionally fresh in the afternoon along eastern and southern counties. A sharp frost overnight, again with ice locally.
    WEDNESDAY: Frost and ice in parts early on. Holding dry across most areas with sunny spells, but a few scattered rain showers will feed in from the Atlantic later. Temperatures improving on recent days, but still cool, with afternoon maxima of 5 to 8 degrees Celsius; coolest in the north. Winds will be moderate to fresh northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

whitebriar wrote: »
    Remember the 2 to 5 cm's often forecast in Nov 2010? People were digging their cars out.

Fair point, though going only by a quick eye over on the various model parameters the air mass this time around, though colder, seems less unstable, particularly at 500 hPa level but however it turns out in the end, I think we will all learn something from it. :)

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could well be some sleet and snow mixed in the rain tonight as it go's southwards along the east coast, still 5C here and feeling very bitter outside and the temperatures are just gonna drop from here on. Could even be a dusting on the ground by morning if all go's well so there could be some lamp-post watching as early as tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Think this is a little bit more than a watch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Nice precipitation for midday Monday extending across the country and it illustrates a point MT alluded to when he was mentioning the position of the low off Cork. A bit further north and it could join the streamers coming in off the Irish sea and snow could be more widespread. Don't think it will happen but would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

baraca wrote: »
    Think this is a little bit more than a watch now.

Why would you think that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement