Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Yup Ive told lots of people its meant to get very cold and there could be snow but most of them are having none of it. '' sure tis mild out'' they say.

I have a fiver bet with the girl on the till at my local supermarket,she complained about the rain & laughed when I told her it's to snow.

Has anyone told the NRA or the Local Authorities yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

zerks wrote: »
    I have a fiver bet with the girl on the till at my local supermarket,she complained about the rain & laughed when I told her it's to snow.

Is this another "Girl in the Supermarket Love Story".....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

I feel I'm owed some snow at this stage. The amount of rollercoasters I've endured with the models this winter - it's been emotional. Starting to get excited now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

mike65 wrote: »
    I really woud'nt get that excited by this. Its a two day affair.

That is a fair point Mike and I don't think anyone is seeing this as a ten day affair. However there is no disputing that this is the best chance of lying snow most of the population has seen all winter (those who reside along the eastern seaboard).

So you can forgive people who have been so frustrated this winter with the weather models when they get excited at a real chance of snow. It now might be payback time for all those wasted hours. Roll on the next 72 hours is what I say! :D

D

derekon wrote: »
    That is a fair point Mike and I don't think anyone is seeing this as a ten day affair. However there is no disputing that this is the best chance of lying snow most of the population has seen all winter (those who reside along the eastern seaboard).

So you can forgive people who have been so frustrated this winter with the weather models when they get excited at a real chance of snow. It now might be payback time for all those wasted hours. Roll on the next 72 hours is what I say! :D

D

Are you ramping now D???:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Will the Midlands see any snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Deank wrote: »

Met a lovely lady on the till today too lol

Ramp it up and let it snow let it snow let it snow :)

Geomy wrote: »
    Met a lovely lady on the till today too lol

Ramp it up and let it snow let it snow let it snow :)

Snow angel orgy with the lady on the till (woops sorry this isn't After Hours):pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I am gonna remain reserved and calm, i know bitterly cold weather already here and snow is very likely but Ive a feeling the IOM shadow will be the main reason for grinding teeth over next 72 hours. Anywhere from Dublin northwards stands more chance of having the snow trains diverting. It's usually north Dublin, Meath and parts of Louth that get worst effected by this highly annoying piece of land. Only time will tell where this blasted thing will effect the worst. There has been times in the past where the IOM had no effect anywhere, this is usually in situations where organised bands of snow makes it's way east to west tho. My guess is as winds turn more northerly this shadow will move further south from it's starting position as time wears on, so hopefully all eastern coastal areas will see snow at some point, but I think that South Dublin and Wicklow along with north Wexford will see the most snow fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

paddy ocon wrote: »
    They must be giving the actual temps to a tenth of a degree and rounding off the DP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

zerks wrote: »

I doubt they would be interested in your love life or gambling habits.

Noboby believes me when i say there is a chance of snow for the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    I really woud'nt get that excited by this. Its a two day affair.
    We're as excited as we'll be about a 2 day heatwave next month ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gonzo wrote: »
    I am gonna remain reserved and calm, i know bitterly cold weather already here and snow is very likely but Ive a feeling the IOM shadow will be the main reason for grinding teeth over next 72 hours. Anywhere from Dublin northwards stands more chance of having the snow trains diverting. It's usually north Dublin, Meath and parts of Louth that get worst effected by this highly annoying piece of land. Only time will tell where this blasted thing will effect the worst. There has been times in the past where the IOM had no effect anywhere, this is usually in situations where organised bands of snow makes it's way east to west tho. My guess is as winds turn more northerly this shadow will move further south from it's starting position as time wears on, so hopefully all eastern coastal areas will see snow at some point, but I think that South Dublin and Wicklow along with north Wexford will see the most snow fall.

And that is where the Bray Snow shield derives most of its power. Bray is smack bang in the middle of the coast with a wrap around mountain snow shield for anything coming from a direction that doesn't have an easterly component. Being in the middle of the east coast means that we are more often than not at the southern end of the IOM shadow when its aimed at Meath/Louth. Right under the shadow when its aimed at Dublin and at the northern edge of the shadow when its aimed at Wicklow/Wexford.

It sucks big time but at least it means less liquid precipitation the rest of the year. If its raining in Bray, you know its probably bucketing down in torrents elsewhere.

I'm not fond of Anglesey either tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Has anyone told the NRA or the Local Authorities yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes I contacted Wicklow CoCo. No response yet regarding gritters etc. I am sure ME have sent out a warnings to NRA etc

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Yes I contacted Wicklow CoCo. No response yet regarding gritters etc. I am sure ME have sent out a warnings to NRA etc[/Quote]
    Ya might as well be talking to a wall when it comes to wcco re gritters plows and the sort

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

The question was asked by Zerks on the last page!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Deank wrote: »

Nah man,it's all about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Check out the depth of snow in Norfolk http://www.norfolklive.org/camera/oulton-broad.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The question was asked by Zerks on the last page!!!!
    The county councils have no control over the gritters on the main roads,the Nra sends the drivers a text when the road they cover goes below a certain temperature.
    I know one of the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As it stands, the Louth area might get the block from the IOM. Rest of the east coast looks ok for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Lashing rain here in Cork at the moment. Still fairly mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Lashing rain here in Cork at the moment. Still fairly mild.

Is it unlikely that Cork-limerick will see snow next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

6am MOnday.

Hi-Res GFS says streamers are GO!

244359.png

Hi-Res NAE says Streamers are GO!
    244360.png

all_systems_go.jpg :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Lisha wrote: »
    Is it unlikely that Cork-limerick will see snow next week?

I think we will see some, but just how much depends in how this scenario plays out. Some GEFS ensemble charts pointed to a more persistent band of precipitation across Munster, but realistically I think we will probably just see showers feeding in from the sea (which would mean that mainly coastal areas would get snow).

We will just have to wait and see. I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Esk1m0

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse
    Then we looked out the window and it started to snow
    And I thought I heard MT.C. say ho ho ho…!!

My excitement levels are increasing by the minute….!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Well I definitely didn't last, been reading all the email updates :) it's still pretty quiet in here for such a set up!

Esk1m0 wrote: »
    Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse
    Then we looked out the window and it started to snow
    And I thought I heard MT.C. say ho ho ho…!!

My excitement levels are increasing by the minute….!!!:D

I tip my hat to you brilliant....

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

By god gerry mentioned the s word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Gerry doesn't seem too worried:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement