Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Finally Gerry mentions snow! that's a bit of a met upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Well I definitely didn't last, been reading all the email updates :) it's still pretty quiet in here for such a set up!

The first flake of snow tomorrow they'll all be back in their snow bunny minions.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

dacogawa wrote: »

Well, "possibly snow". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Iancar29 wrote: »
    6am MOnday.

Hi-Res GFS says streamers are GO!

244359.png

Hi-Res NAE says Streamers are GO!
    244360.png

all_systems_go.jpg :cool:

applause-gif-tumblr-47.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Smidge wrote: »
    Gerry doesn't seem too worried:(
    That was ramping by Gerrys standards. Love the way he put the pressure on Jean Byrne :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Can the mods now please update thread to Level * warning ?

Well, "possibly snow". ;)

It was dry & cold on Thursday night, last night it was possible sleet, now possible snow, I'll take that. I think we could all see it on the map behind him all over the coasts on Monday too...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

That was Gerry in ramping mode ;) Overall i'm happy enough with that forecast. Plenty of potential there for copious amounts of streamers coming in off the Irish sea. An event is on the cards i feel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Saganist wrote: »
    Can the mods now please update thread to Level * warning ?

Maybe tomorrow.

redsunset just put the littlest hobbo song in my head

Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down :-(

Lets hope the snow settles ;-)

• Advertisement

It was dry & cold on Thursday night, last night it was possible sleet, now possible snow, I'll take that. I think we could all see it on the map behind him all over the coasts on Monday too...

Indeed. I'd say that's left many surprised after previously forecasted dry cold weather. The word "snow" fills many people with horror in this country! :eek:

On an unrelated note, one good thing about any cold dry weather is that it'll likely be clear as well, which is good news for astronomy fans, since they'll be able to watch the Pan Starrs comet during the week (it should be bright enough to see with the naked eye).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

redsunset just put the littlest hobbo song in my head

Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down :-(

Lets hope the snow settles ;-)

:D:D:D altogether now everyone.............

On the phone, how's the pub run looking? The models have been fair consistent with forecasting this cold shot. I'll be suckered into following them again next winter :-(

On the phone, how's the pub run looking? The models have been fair consistent with forecasting this cold shot. I'll be suckered into following them again next winter :-(

Looking good 42 hours out
    gfs-1-42.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Little change from the 12z. Next 48hrs pretty much nailed on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Have to say I'm impressed at how early the models picked up on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Very similar so far to last run... looking good so far

Interestingly, NAE going for rain for the east coast with -13 uppers, -8 DPs and subzer0 2m temps for the same time period :confused:

13031106_0918.gif

Looking good for streamers midday Mon though. Still don;t know where that rain is coming from, probably best ignored.

13031112_0918.gif

• Advertisement

Tonight's GFS shows a reasonably good chance of snow across the East and South coasts tomorrow night (that finger is trying to form again but just can't quite get there. :D)

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rougies wrote: »
    Looking good for streamers midday Mon though. Still don;t know where that rain is coming from, probably best ignored.

13031112_0918.gif

It is very, very light stuff though. Look at the accumulation charts for up to 6pm Monday. Not showing anything above the minimum 2cm level.

13031118_0918.gif

I just hope people are aware of this....

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

481069_613956501966675_1948302384_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Those nae's show rain colours usually for the light precip.
    That's the only explanation I can come up with for snow at sea turning to rain when it hits the beach.
    For reassurement,it's at the same craic over in eastern England with -14 uppers neg dp's etc

It is very, very light stuff though. Look at the accumulation charts for up to 6pm Monday. Not showing anything above the minimum 2cm level.

I think most of us are aware of it. It's just the fact that it's showing a widespread area of convective precip is encouraging. Good signals, that's all.
    whitebriar wrote: »
    Those nae's show rain colours usually for the light precip.
    That's the only explanation I can come up with for snow at sea turning to rain when it hits the beach.
    For reassurement,it's at the same craic over in eastern England with -14 uppers neg dp's etc

Yeah that seems to be the case alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Meso-scale low spinning off the main low in Biscay, can easily be seen on satellite loop and heading for Kerry -- probably all rain at the moment, could be a sign of volatility to come as frontal zone presses south into outer circulation of this low.

I have no misgivings about the forecast after checking the latest guidance and obs, so bring it on and we'll see what's what. If this can't produce a streamer, then we'll have to fix the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'd call bullshit on that chart tbh. If anyone thinks there won't be at least 2cm of snow even in the Wicklow mountains on Monday I'll leave it so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's been a while since we have seen charts that are quite this convincing.:eek:

It's always a good/bad sign when the thread is growing faster than I can read it :D

Slightly worrying that we may have some problems with an 0630 bus Wednesday morning from Ashbourne, but we will have alternatives in place just in case.;) ;);)

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

here, im about to head out. is it going to snow or whats the craic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

sea_monkey wrote: »
    here, im about to head out. is it going to snow or whats the craic?

Tonight? No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement