Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the band of rain/sleet up north seems to be dying out and has edged back north, not sure we'll get anything tonight. Will have to wait till tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Its the real deal. Its the UKMO's UK4 model. UKMO uses an even higher res model though that is not available to the public.

That makes sense since I was comparing it to images such as this for the high res model. I also just learned today that the NAE is a UKMO based model too, so this makes me wonder what is the point/relevance of the UK4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Fascinating thread everyone, thanks.

Going back in the mists of time beyond the snow of 2010 just wondered if somebody could put a date on a fairly significant snow event back in the early 80's?

It must have been around 1982/83/84, I remember going on a school trek in the Dublin mountains that time and the drifts were phenomenal, and of course as a child the snow was all the way........ up to here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

pueblo wrote: »

Going back in the mists of time beyond the snow of 2010 just wondered if somebody could put a date on a fairly significant snow event back in the early 80's?

It must have been around 1982/83/84, I remember going on a school trek in the Dublin mountains that time and the drifts were phenomenal, and of course as a child the snow was all the way........ up to here :D

Jan 82 I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

pueblo wrote: »

Winter of 81/82 I'm sure you;re thinking of ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437765
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Rougies wrote: »

You got there before me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

yeah 81/82...thanks folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

it was grand lads, quit yer worryin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Meso-scale low spinning off the main low in Biscay, can easily be seen on satellite loop and heading for Kerry -- probably all rain at the moment, could be a sign of volatility to come as frontal zone presses south into outer circulation of this low.

I have no misgivings about the forecast after checking the latest guidance and obs, so bring it on and we'll see what's what. If this can't produce a streamer, then we'll have to fix the machine.

M.T. You've helped me with a lot of weather related issues over the last few years & I thank you for all of them (& you've always been right!), you're a person I look up to & do believe in (& what you're doing) & I'm sure many,many others do too. Thank you for the free service you give to all of us! I know you're working out you're own system & I'm very sure it will be integrated & help with all the forecasts in the future. I just think this needed to be said, we're very lucky to have you in this community. RESPEST!

Also.. I believe in streamers :)

Now I'm going to sleep until pm on Sunday & stay awake until late Monday! you're all going to do the same... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It's snowing here! not sure where its comming from as the radar blob crossing the north has broken up this end but there you are, not settling as yet seems too windy to. temp 0.4 dp. -1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Just leaving a comment to see updates...Hope college is called off Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

METAR EIDW 100630Z 08021KT 9999 SCT012 BKN017 04/01 Q1006 NOSIG=
    TAF LONG TAF EIDW 100500Z 1006/1106 06020KT 9999 SCT008 BKN015
    TEMPO 1006/1009 4000 BR BKN004
    BECMG 1006/1009 06020G32KT
    BECMG 1009/1011 4000 -RASN BKN003
    BECMG 1012/1014 9999 SCT008 BKN018
    TEMPO 1011/1024 4000 -SHSN BKN006=

Ohhhh...snap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Sooo...odes than wall of Capitals and numbers mean something good? I guess it's snowing in Germany or something?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see that band of ppn over the north turned to snow at Aldergrove before clearing south. Light snow being reported at Glenanne (Co. Armagh) at 0600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Steamer Alert

94972696f3b3fa252855a1b349f2df5b.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I've upgraded thread title as I've seen enough to warrant at least a Moderate Risk of heavy snow at times whilst temperatures plummet to give a shock to the system after the spring like weather we just had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

Looks like its been raining last night. If there was snow
    Now it wouldnt stick, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    Looks like its been raining last night. If there was snow
    Now it wouldn't stick, would it?
    wet ground wont effect snow sticking don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Was just outside near Dublin airport and the windchill is already bitter. Gusts are pretty stong too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

What's a streamer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Coating of snow on hills here ,encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Hard to believe whats coming, but I do believe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Trying to make sense of what I am reading on here!

So we will have the low DPs, the low dam, the low temps, a pool of very cold air over us and the UK, a NNE wind - possibly gusting too strongly but hopefully enough to bring the streamers - and the core reason we might NOT get snow (feels faint at the thought but carries on bravely nonetheless) is what exactly?

a) the fact that wind might be too strong?
    b) not enough ppn?
    c) something else?

Could someone please help me understand, because despite all my lurking and reading over the past 2 years I don't quite get it!
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Looking at the snowdar site I can see lots of lovely white gold drifting across from the UK.....http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/?type=rain-snow-sleet

Here's hoping it'll turn into lovely STREAMERS for us later on.........

(Warning: you may get addicted to looking at and obsessively checking this site!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hi, you may know me from such films as Phantom Ships of Meteociel and Return to the Isle of Woman ... at this point, would say the reason for no snow is more likely to be the reason for not much snow, and that would be basically the streamer(s) missed where you live.

Sweden and Denmark are seeing fairly extensive streamers now in the same air mass and wind flow that will be over the Irish Sea tonight and Monday.

I really think the main point now will be to nail down where streamers will set up and how strong they look to be ... which will be mostly nowcasting. The theoretical side would suggest two streamer bands, one a bit north of Dublin but moving further south across Dublin, and the second one a bit south of Dublin and eventually mostly over Wicklow and Wexford.

It would be surprising if every part of Leinster got snow, that might be asking a bit much but two thirds or so ... probably in the cards. We can look at all the guidance but really this is just a wait and see to get the exact details of where and when. Could start before sunrise Monday and if not, shortly afterwards.

Now I have to go for filming of my new movie, A Prog Too Far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm not a big fan of the latest model output for the next 48 hours.

Whatever precipitation potential there was is now less obvious on the likes of GFS and NAE. While the models underestimated precipitation amounts during the 2010 streamers, they still showed much more than what the 00z and 06z NAE is showing. Back in 2010, they still predicted a centimetre or two over the course of a day. Far more than that fell, but looking at today's charts I see maybe 0.5 cm forecast along some parts of the east coast. I can't see the models getting it so substantially wrong if nothing else because I'm not sure all the factors are being taken into account here.

I think wind speeds will prove to be too strong and particularly so with vertical wind shear, which I think will ruin the development of any significant shower activity considering CAPE values are meagre. There will be snow, but firstly it may never be more than very light stuff for most of the country and secondly over the course of Monday there might be suprising penetration of these weak showers inland. So I suspect a broader area of very light snow is on the cards over the next 36 hours.

Also, I just checked DMI's radar, the streamers in the vicinity of Denmark are actually rather weak. Practically all the heavy precipitation in that region's coming from a trough over NE Germany and the Baltic Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Dont you just love it when M.T describes -2 as 'milder'.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

A little update from across the water folks, Im away in Chester for the weekend and it has been snowing for the past hour. Light enough but nice to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement