Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Dublin - Met Eireann have updated the alert as of this morning!
    10 March 2013- updated at 06:00
    Today

Cold, cloudy and windy today.
    Scattered passing showers will occur; of rain or sleet this morning turning to snow inland this afternoon.
    Feeling very cold with temperatures of only 3 to 5 degrees Celsius in strong and gusty east to northeast winds.
    It will become dry and clear this evening with frost developing inland.

Tonight

Very cold tonight with a widespread sharp to severe frost and some icy stretches developing.
    Lowest air temperatures from zero to +1 along the coast but generally sub zero, typically -2 or -3 degrees.
    After a clear start to the night it will cloud over with snow showers likely to drift in from the Irish Sea.

Tomorrow

Cloudy Monday morning with a possibility of further snow showers.
    Most likely becoming dry for Monday afternoon and evening with skies clearing.
    A bitterly cold day tomorrow with highest temperatures only 1 to 4 degrees and feeling several degrees below zero in a strong and raw northeasterly wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I'm not a big fan of the latest model output for the next 48 hours.

Whatever precipitation potential there was is now less obvious on the likes of GFS and NAE. While the models underestimated precipitation amounts during the 2010 streamers, they still showed much more than what the 00z and 06z NAE is showing. Back in 2010, they still predicted a centimetre or two over the course of a day. Far more than that fell, but looking at today's charts I see maybe 0.5 cm forecast along some parts of the east coast. I can't see the models getting it so substantially wrong if nothing else because I'm not sure all the factors are being taken into account here.
    So based on that you reckon,parts of the lowland east will get a quarter of what was seen in those first november 2010 streamers,so 5 to 10 cm's then ;)

Frankly,I don't know what will happen but,the strength of the flow is a factor this time because streamers will move along quickly so a new limiting factor is whether when one line passes through,is there another to replace it,ie will fully fledged trains establish.
    You could have groups of trains slightly differently alligned,meaning a wider distribution area but lesser totals.

Btw Evelyn is at the Glasnevin helm today yay\0/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

RECENT SNOW been reported in donegal with a temp of 1c

FINNER DONEGAL(A) E 11 Gust 25 RECENT SNOW 1 86 Trace 1010

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As an example look at what is heading into eastern Scotland now as per the amounts predicted by GFS at that time (from the 0z, due to change)

The showers appear much more substantial, turning very wintry now up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

We have lots of birds and bird feeders in the back garden and they are in a complete feeding frenzy this morning. I haven't seen them this aggressive in a long time. They know something is coming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really need that band of rain over Munster to move off (quicker) before getting the full effect of the NE flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Red Pepper wrote: »
    We have lots of birds and bird feeders in the back garden and they are in a complete feeding frenzy this morning. I haven't seen them this aggressive in a long time. They know something is coming.

Mine are the same, you can check it out on my live streaming camera here.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

image.ashx?type=rain-snow-sleet&time=

Nice free Snow Radar which updates every 5 mins , should keep the watchers happy if the streamers start :p

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/?type=rain-snow-sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

i'm home in sligo for the weekend but meant to go back to college in dub tomorrow and then onto wicklow tomorrow evening , if (and i really hope it does!) this snow happens what are the chances of signifigant travel disruption/a snow day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    Mine are the same, you can check it out on my live streaming camera here.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

Just as I posted the link didnt they all Bugger off:mad:
    But they will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Really need that band of rain over Munster to move off (quicker) before getting the full effect of the NE flow.

No! We need that band of rain for snow later! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

1c here, wind is bitter, really bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well this is all very exciting I must say. I have enjoyed the debate on here. It's really a wait and see scenario now. Radars and satellite a ready. I've to be on the road for 5am BOO TO THAT.

On a side note I see hirlam and gfs etc are showing the very far south of England to be getting a pasting. Pure blizzards there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Started snowing about an hour ago

005aqh.jpg

009an.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 arctic_ire

4c here with a dewpoint of 1c!
    Thats 1c fall of dewpoint in the last hour!!

(Here being celbridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Wet and muck here in Clare...
    I bet the Cratloe shadow will be in action later on too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Morning all, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet?:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

We can do no more here Deank.

Wait it out.

Go enjoy your day. Go for a meal, a walk, run, read a book, a few pints and so on. I know which one I'm doing.

Be back later..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lets remember what we got.

Finally a chart like this reaches T+24hrs

Rtavn242.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

lashing out of the heavens here in cork:( by the looks of things from met eireann it's promising snow for the south tomorrow :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

remote.php?id=4
    isle of man webcam at the bungalow,
    snow shield up and running.

Redsunset wrote: »

Wait it out.

Go enjoy your day. Go for a meal, a walk, run, read a book, a few pints and so on. I know which one I'm doing.

Be back later..

Thanks Red,
    Enjoy those pints so.

Just stepped out the back and the wind would cut you in two, it's going to be a very interesting day watching this develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    lashing out of the heavens here in cork:( by the looks of things from met eireann it's promising snow for the south tomorrow :eek:

I'm hoping Cork gets the last laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Was snowing like crazy last night when i left the club. Patchy snow cover under 120m and a blanket of the white gold above it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I see on met eireann web page they are saying ground temperature's could be down to -10 tomorrow night, i wonder would that be where lying snow would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Redsunset wrote: »

Wait it out.

Be back later..

Pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bright blue skies and sunshine here in Donegal Town 1.8c dp1.4. Mountains in Bluestacks white. Breeze would cut ye in two.

Based on the current Snow Radar Meath and Louth and parts of Dublin should be seeing a bit of sleet by now.

image.ashx?type=rain-snow-sleet&time=

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

Deank wrote: »
    Based on the current Snow Radar Meath and Louth and parts of Dublin should be seeing a bit of sleet by now.

Im in Ashbourne and nothing yet, sky looks full of it though, temperature is 3 degrees according to phone and pc. A bit windy as well. clouds moving slowly in a westerly direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Patchy rain here in Waterford City and feeling bitter in a moderate Easterly.

Temp 4.8c, Wind Chill Temp 0.5c, Max Gust 47km/h

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement