Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    Don't know what area of Ashbourne your in but im in Ashbourne and nothing here yet, hardly notice it in the air.

ye have to be nuts about snow to spot it, look towards a dark area of tree's or shadowed area and you'll see the little snow grains fall.

I wouldnt get too excited about this band of snow moving south, it's much lighter than the snizzle we had 2 weeks ago, it's dying out fast. We have to wait till the small hours very late tonight for a chance of decent action but at least now were confirmed it's already cold enough for snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Boardsies im dying a horrific death. Let it snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Boardsies im dying a horrific death. Let it snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Very very light flakes of snow floating around in Letterkenny an hour ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

ME report from Malin Head at 11am. Temp 4C, DP is -1.56. Colder air moving in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

This is the latest tweets of areas in the uk were it us snowing

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Cool! Who do I follow to get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

my parents had about 5cm in Essex last night. Sun came out for about 10mins, all melted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Have met eireann got this horribly wrong again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

So far they are spot on..its what happens later that will determine if they have undercalled it..not even a yellow alert,green today and tomorrow on metoalarm? I reckon they are nowcasting and the warnings will go up this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Light snow in the air in donabate at the mo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hows the DP looking Mick? humidity dropping?

Both starting to fall. Currently Temp 4.9c DP 3.1c Rh 88%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

notnumber wrote: »
    So far they are spot on..its what happens later that will determine if they have undercalled it..not even a yellow alert,green today and tomorrow on metoalarm? I reckon they are nowcasting and the warnings will go up this evening.

Is that not a bit late for people? Is it because they Do not work on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Dont you just love it when M.T describes -2 as 'milder'.. :D

it just shows you and others traitors who turned your back on snow, are now being punished for your perfidious ways. The likes of Min must be full of the joys of spring at the moment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

:rolleyes:

Yes, that statement was worth 3 X :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

? in what way? They have issued a forecast for weather that hasnt happened yet. Looks a fair forecast to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

f140 wrote: »
    well thats all i want to know. will we get snow down here in cork tonight or tomorrow?
    Where in Cork? It's a big county
    Chances are high in my opinion.
    First in higher ground areas of the west of the county.
    Places like Macroom,Millstreet over to *cough* Ballydesmond,that type of area as the cold air under cuts the precip now falling before it slides south east

Next risk after that is coastal snow showers in east co cork,drifting southwestwards.
    Whether these reach cork city is impossible to assess,it would not surprise me.
    In theory,the risk is higher in places like youghal and middleton and obviously further north of there into co waterford overnight and into tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

it just shows you and others traitors who turned your back on snow, are now being punished for your perfidious ways. The likes of Min must be full of the joys of spring at the moment:D

Well look what the north easterly blew in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

notnumber wrote: »

There isn't a single model that suggests anything other than a dusting up to a couple of cm at most. They will probably put up a yellow warning for Monday for ice and the risk of a few cm of snow for areas under those showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Both starting to fall. Currently Temp 4.9c DP 3.1c Rh 88%

Further north in Arklow dp is varying between 1 and 2c now.

@ the poster asking if the met have got this wrong.
    There's a met thread for discussing that.
    They have changed their forecast radically between today and yesterday.
    Yesterday,john eagleton at 1,cold windy,no mention of showers for today and tomorrow.
    6pm David Rogers,wintry showers,no settling snow except on mountain tops.

Today...snow will settle even on low ground.

Now that is a radical change in assessment from them in 24hrs with very little if nothing at all changing in the models.

Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

We had a shower of graupel in Belfast at noon there. Bitterly cold outside but some bright sunshine too!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I'm in East Cork on high ground so I really don't snow until my after mother & mother-in-law leave my house after their Mother's Day Dinner! The thoughts of been snowed in with them both sounds like a scene from a nightmare.... so please snow... wait till they are both safely back home in Cork City ahahaaaa

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

whitebriar wrote: »
    Further north in Arklow dp is varying between 1 and 2c now.

@ the poster asking if the met have got this wrong.
    There's a met thread for discussing that.
    They have changed their forecast radically between today and yesterday.
    Yesterday,john eagleton at 1,cold windy,no mention of showers for today and tomorrow.
    6pm David Rogers,wintry showers,no settling snow except on mountain tops.

Today...snow will settle even on low ground.

Now that is a radical change in assessment from them in 24hrs with very little if nothing at all changing in the models.

Make of that what you will.

Are they not just hedging their bets? In the end of the day there's no point giving out early warnings if a lot of them will turn out to be wrong. Most people won't believe the warnings after a while so I suppose by guaranteeing the warnings are as accurate as possible they preserve their effectiveness?

That's my thinking anyway.

fairly encouraging beeb forecast from my perspective for the next couple of days, even if i don't see any setlling snow, to have this depth of cold in March is truly remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

f140 wrote: »
    well thats all i want to know. will we get snow down here in cork tonight or tomorrow?
    Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Met e have a warning out. Can't copy and paste on my fone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Liking the met.ie alert

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Donegal, Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford
    Scattered snow showers this evening, tonight and on Monday will give accumulations of between 3 and 8 cm.

Snow will lie at lower levels as well as on high ground. Amounts will be highest in coastal counties of Leinster.

Fresh to strong, gusty northeast winds will make for blizzard conditions in places during snow showers. A widespread sharp or severe frost tonight, lingering in many areas tomorrow.

Issued:10 March 2013 12:00
    Valid:10 March 2013 18:00 to 11 March 2013 18:00

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Are they not just hedging their bets? In the end of the day there's no point giving out early warnings if a lot of them will turn out to be wrong. Most people won't believe the warnings after a while so I suppose by guaranteeing the warnings are as accurate as possible they preserve their effectiveness?

That's my thinking anyway.

yes, their thinking on these things is probably influenced by the infamous Dongeal incident of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Met e have a warning out. Can't copy and paste on my fone

Mets new warning
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Donegal, Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford
    Scattered snow showers this evening, tonight and on Monday will give accumulations of between 3 and 8 cm.

Snow will lie at lower levels as well as on high ground. Amounts will be highest in coastal counties of Leinster.

Fresh to strong, gusty northeast winds will make for blizzard conditions in places during snow showers. A widespread sharp or severe frost tonight, lingering in many areas tomorrow.

Issued:10 March 2013 12:00
    Valid:10 March 2013 18:00 to 11 March 2013 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

met have an orange alert up now. Even Waterford gets a mention. Watch nothing happen now :'(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement