Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Motorists are being advised to drive with extreme care this evening and over the coming few days - as icy conditions are expected to hit the country.

Snow and sleet has already started to fall in parts of the country this morning with wintry showers expected to continue for much of the day.

However, Met Eireann says only a small about of snow will fall but temperatures will drop to as low as minus four degrees tonight.

only small amount of snow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Lightly snowing in Ballyjamesduff, Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Are they not just hedging their bets? In the end of the day there's no point giving out early warnings if a lot of them will turn out to be wrong. Most people won't believe the warnings after a while so I suppose by guaranteeing the warnings are as accurate as possible they preserve their effectiveness?

That's my thinking anyway.
    Yes.As frustrating as it is for us posters here,it's an irish way of doing things.
    Usually at the 11th hour,if necessary ,warnings are issued.
    Yesterdays forecasts of cover only probable on mountain tops so close to the event was ridiculous though,more ridiculous than usual.

I'm in East Cork on high ground so I really don't snow until my after mother & mother-in-law leave my house after their Mother's Day Dinner! The thoughts of been snowed in with them both sounds like a scene from a nightmare.... so please snow... wait till they are both safely back home in Cork City ahahaaaa

:D

haha brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

the sun is out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seems as if many of you expect it to snow right now , met warning takes effect at 6 tonight , so nothing until at least then

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    the sun is out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

just going to say the same thing hope to god were not in the line of the IOM shadow,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

From what I can see maquiladora is the Roy Keane of weather pundits!

In that he knows what he's talking about? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just started here!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just started here!!!!!

Where's here?!

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just started here!!!!!
    You lie,it's not snowing here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Midday M2 buoy (east of Howth Head) report: temp 4.4C, DP -1.0

whitebriar wrote: »

Next risk after that is coastal snow showers in east co cork,drifting southwestwards.
    Whether these reach cork city is impossible to assess,it would not surprise me.
    In theory,the risk is higher in places like youghal and middleton and obviously further north of there into co waterford overnight and into tomorrow.

I assume Cobh is in there aswell?

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Where's here?!
    yes,my last post wss for people to put rough locations in their profiles,go to your user cp and do that please or at least put locations in posts as the touch site doesn't show poster locations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the band of rain/snow moving south is reforming again and intensified over north meath/louth. Hopefully something to report over next few hours. Currently sunny.

dave1982 wrote: »
    I assume Cobh is in there aswell?
    Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

Met Éireann has issued the following Severe Weather Alert for the Cork area.

Weather Warning : Code Level Orange

Scattered snow showers this evening, tonight and on Monday will give accumulations of between 3 and 6 cm.

Snow will lie at lower levels as well as on high ground.

Fresh to strong, gusty northeast winds will make for blizzard conditions in places during snow showers. A widespread sharp or severe frost tonight, lingering in many areas tomorrow.

Valid from 18:00 Sunday 10-March-2013 until 18:00 Monday 11-March-2013 .

Source ....... http://www.corkcity.ie/sw/

glossy wrote: »
    just going to say the same thing hope to god were not in the line of the IOM shadow,,,

I am originally from the Isle of Man, i have said a little prayer to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Snow has fallen a few times in Cork over the winter but Roy Keane has convincen them all that it was'nt snow and in their gullability they all feel compelled to agree with him.:D

Lightly snowing in Ballyjamesduff, Cavan.

Alot heavier now. Damn hope it don't stick. I gotta drive to the midlands later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Any idea when the showers are meant to hit dublin. Heading out in car at 3 so just wondering what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Any idea when the showers are meant to hit dublin. Heading out in car at 3 so just wondering what to expect?

You should be grand, any Snow is unlikely to amount to much before evening.

Dan :)

looking at the weather now its sunbathing time. haha, sun is shining, lovely day to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Has been snowing very lightly here on and off since 8 this morning.
    Just having a light shower of graupel at the moment. Nothing sticking.
    2 miles from Shercock Co. Cavan

Alot heavier now. Damn hope it don't stick. I gotta drive to the midlands later.

Actually its more graupel than snow now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well Mrs Pistol had our first last night so now I am all in , let it snow let it snow let it snow ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Well Mrs Pistol had our first last night so now I am all in , let it snow let it snow let it snow ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄

Congrats to you both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I see that some people are saying that high winds will have the potential to limited the number of streamers coming off the Irish Sea. Why is this?

I will be up the 3Rock and Tickknock tomorrow morning for a photo opportunity. If we get a nice bit of snow this will be the third time we have had pleasing amounts of snow this year. Is the 3Rock and Dublin/ Wicklow hills Ireland's snow capital?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Congrats Pistolpetes!! :)

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What can I say? People like to see posts about snowstorms and up to 30cm of snow etc. so obviously they won't be happy when they see posts about more realistic expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement