Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Gonzo wrote: »
    anything that's on the ground will melt very fast as soon as day break's on Tuesday.

It doesn't really thaw properly until it gets above 4 degres. Any lying snow will help keep temperature down and d snow itself will reflect sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Thanks, but I'd rather an Irish Sea stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Snow on Mt. Leinster as I type this. Sleet falling here and there. Extremely cold and wet conditions also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just had one thanks, was nice.. and only 79 cent in Lidl. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Any updates MT ? your forecast still accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thundersnow just SE of Edinburgh .

244429.png

-12C 850s over them .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

My sister lost 2 lambs today due to rain/bitter cold, she is in north east cork. She now has her whole flock inside for the night. Temperature there today was 1 C which warmed to 3 C on my drive back to Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

The temperature was about 4C in Naas all day. It was 3C an hour ago and in the last 10 minutes it has fallen half a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

What time is the show starting at?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

Clearing up here. T - 1 hour until CONVECTION CONVECTION CONVECTION!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Snowing in Liverpool now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Its going to be long night....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

nothing springlike on the horizon either, the daffs will just have to wait.
    the sky is now becoming obscured by cirrus - a very good sign :)

gfs-0-168.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Rougies wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'd rather an Irish Sea stew.

Speaking of Irish Sea stew... I was out in Portmarnock earlier and haven't seen the Irish sea this angry in a while. Looking forward to seeing what it throws up later!

portoa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snowlover

Almost clear skies in navan Meath! Come on!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Just had a snowball fight with the kids there now. A heavy graupel shower suddenly turned to heavy snow for about 5 mins, most of it stuck and everything now has a nice white dusting. Nothing falling now though. 2 miles from Shercock Co Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snowing/sleeting in Cork City :-D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Radar question
    Does http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ distinguish between rain and snow or is it all the same on there ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that precipitation that has been sitting around Down and louth for past 24 hours is now making swift movement south-westwards towards Westmeath and Longford and starting to break up. Showers should start develop over the Irish Sea over next few hours where we should also be able to see where the dreaded IOM Shadow will fall.

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote: »
    Speaking of Irish Sea stew... I was out in Portmarnock earlier and haven't seen the Irish sea this angry in a while. Looking forward to seeing what it throws up later!

portoa.jpg

That just got me thinking. I wonder if a rough Irish Sea would help in convection since it effectively has a larger surface area over the same fetch distance. And also maybe the spray would evaporate more readily. Just a thought. Anyone agree or am I stark raving mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Radar question
    Does http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ distinguish between rain and snow or is it all the same on there ?

Use the meteo rain/snowfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

flanzer wrote: »

portoa.jpg

Must go down and have a look myself . I walk that beach nearly every day and that is certainly as wild as I have seen in a while !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That just got me thinking. I wonder if a rough Irish Sea would help in convection since it effectively has a larger surface area over the same fetch distance. And also maybe the spray would evaporate more readily. Just a thought. Anyone agree or am I stark raving mad?

It makes sense in theory alright but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea if it actually would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Savage ramp !!!

Tomorrow Monday will be bitterly cold with frost and ice lingering in many areas. Snow showers will continue to affect mainly Ulster coasts, Munster and Leinster and will be frequent and heavy near Irish sea coasts with the risk of thunder.

No idea but I like your way of thinking!

Radar question

The free Raintoday version is all one colour.

This one has precip type. (it's not very accurate though, just a general idea)
    http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/?type=rain-snow-sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

leahyl wrote: »

Just good old fashioned rain in the rochestown part of cork city so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

leahyl wrote: »

What part of the city are you in? Barely classing as sleet in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Still raining here south of Douglas. That front is moving south fairly quickly, I don't think the window of opportunity for snow will be that big, unfortunately. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

MtLeinster.jpg

Pic from earlier top of Mt Leinster, wanted to hang around and wait for more but family were restless..... dying to test the 4x4 in snow too !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement