Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

From the radar and considering it is at 269m above sea level, I'd say Bailieborough Co. Cavan is getting a right pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Just watching the forecast here in Scotland (Aberdeen area) and they are saying we will have this weather for the rest of the week, with very cold spells and snow showers for the week,

just in case what we are getting might end up with you guys ( I am not sure how that works) so yis could be in for a right dump over the week, the weather is to change coming in from the artic,

the weather report was on BBC Scotland, there is a good chance yis could be well sick of it by the time it stops. We have had about 5 inches here so far with it easing off this afternoon and to start again during the night and tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Remembering 2010 and hoping:D

sorry forgot resize:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

delw wrote: »
    Some seriously low dp's being reported,were they forecast to be this low?

Both HIRLAM & the GFS forecast slightly higher Dps for this time (between -5 & -7c so slightly lower alright. Although when you consider that RH value at nearby Dub Apt is 53% & Casement at 67% it makes the 43% at Phoenix look somewhat localised.

Phoenix Park Hirlam hourly Forecast (includes dew point temp)

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Phoenix_Park~2962053/hour_by_hour_detailed.html

GFS forecast Td's for 03z:

244516.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant thanks for the info i wanted to no as i cam across it before being said i will stay back and just watch from now on avoid my stupid questions:)

Are you not gone to Belmullet yet? No sign of snow there yet:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

From the radar and considering it is at 269m above sea level, I'd say Bailieborough Co. Cavan is getting a right pasting.

im in Kingscourt and its snowing here but Bailieborough and Loughanleagh will have a good amount alright

edit: and my camera is broke so no photos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mech1 wrote: »
    sorry forgot resize:o
    Can you delete that photo (like edit your post and delete the picture attachment) just for the sake of making the thread easier to look at? Thanks!!

BTW I like the sound of the latest Met Eireann forecast as a guide for amounts of snow. 2cm generally, up to 8cm in the chosen areas under streamers with about 18cm the max reported on boards in any half-civilised area in Ireland.

Before we all start toasting the absurd dew points, it becomes harder to assess as with every decrease in RH percentage, the dewpoint gets proportionally affected more. So differences of RH of a few percent between stations when they're so low will translate into dewpoint differences of a few degrees! Also RH at this very low level can result in localised extremes.

Anyway air this cold and dry simply doesn't have the potential to carry moisture like we're used to seeing in Ireland. We want to see "warmer" air for some snow. Hopefully the sun's influence tomorrow will give snow lovers this!

Can you delete that photo (like edit your post and delete the picture attachment) just for the sake of making the thread easier to look at? Thanks!!

Done, and sorry again didnt know I could delete after posting:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Still nothing in Drogheda

• Advertisement

What is happening in Balbriggan right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Clear night in donegal. Can't see it changing any time soon looking at the radar. Anyone fairing better?

Im starting to think "streamer fail"
    anyone else getting worried?

Before we all start toasting the absurd dew points, it becomes harder to assess as with every decrease in RH percentage, the dewpoint gets proportionally affected more. So differences of RH of a few percent between stations when they're so low will translate into dewpoint differences of a few degrees! Also RH at this very low level can result in localised extremes.

I don't see a problem toasting them, they would be exceptional in the depths of winter not mind mid March and though the with the nature of the beast causing localised variation etc it is the same principle with the much talked about snow accumulations. Its about the stats, and I'll continue to toast and post them.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Yea slightly. Hopefully things will change towards morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

No, quite the opposite. There are already two quite well developed streamers in place in the usual spots, just N and S of the IOM shadow and it's still only early into the window of snowportunity. (as a a side note I've had this debate with a some members before about the IOM being not only a hindrance but also a help as it seems to kick off convection too, and it's showing the phenomenon again so far tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nothin in tallaght
    Pain in me hole waiting
    Going to bed

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I don't see a problem toasting them, they would be exceptional in the depths of winter not mind mid March and though the with the nature of the beast causing localised variation etc it is the same principle with the much talked about snow accumulations. Its about the stats, and I'll continue to toast and post them.
    I didn't elaborate so as to keep the message simple as possible in that post. Basically measurement tolerances and local variations make the dewpoint measurements not so useful at this more extreme level. Whereas a basic ruler gives a good measure of snow accumulation. They're not really comparable in terms of accuracy...

The real point I wanted to emphasize is that dew points below -5 will make it difficult for heavy snow to happen, as a rough rule of thumb which for reasons I wont go into, is applicable here. The 2010 streamers happened for the most part in dew points of around -2 with a couple of exceptions over that month.

(You're more than welcome to continue posting them, I never implied otherwise and I'm just expressing my own opinion.)

The real point I wanted to emphasize is that dew points below -5 will make it difficult for heavy snow to happen, as a rough rule of thumb which for reasons I wont go into, is applicable here. The 2010 streamers happened for the most part in dew points of around -2 with a couple of exceptions over that month.

Ah yeah, fair enough, I know what you are saying, I'm just being a tired cranky moron. I am just looking at the Td stats which I think are interesting in themselves rather than how they may or may not have an impact on any shower development. :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Latest satellite looks like early signs of a third streamer starting to develop west of Lancaster with South Dublin/North Wicklow in it's sights. Could amount to nothing and also could be hallucinations in the first place. Night all, white dreams :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there's something big heading for cork city :D:D:D still watching here

Going up myself for a couple of hours sleep, dont forget to check in on my live camera. I will leave it running.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

Very light Graupel only sofar tonight.

But I hope to be digging the camera out come morning:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showers on and off here all night but i think mostly fine snow and graupal, about 1cm on the ground so not much more than a dusting.

anyone from east cork confirm there's snow in your location? or have yea all given up and gone to sleep? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Just awake in stamullen - nearly cried cos no snow.
    5 mins later i look again and lovely flurry coming down

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Dusting in Balbriggan

hold up, there are flakes falling as i type, there tiny, but they are falling. i know it's not my sleep deprived state making this up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

frustratingly that light streamer has set up around 5 miles to the north of here!, remember things to pick up through the coming hours and showers expected until after midnight !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still snowing outside, not too heavy and very windy, not expecting much more than an inch on the ground by morning as showers are light and im expecting the IOM shadow to be right over me by the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    still snowing outside, not too heavy and very windy, not expecting much more than an inch on the ground by morning as showers are light and im expecting the IOM shadow to be right over me by the morning.

how about a Gonzo pic!??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement