Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I have a sneaky feeling when the winds go slightly lighter and veer more northeast that some areas will do better as the showers move slower etc.

As an aside, the latest Hirlam gives the beefiest precip around 6-9pm / Also develops a stronger section of convection to the southeast.

Would suggest Wexford/Waterford coastal parts (at least) should get a fair covering by morning.

Keeping the faith @ 2pm.

8 hours and 10 hours to go/ showers keep going to 6am/9am for the southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Dry Ice?

I was thinking that,,,but it seems to "Fluffy" to be anything to do with ice..

It's nearly like the inside of a snow globe,,,or like aerofoam..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MrFrisp wrote: »

............that's graupel! A common sight in these parts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Heavy snow in Bray right now, barely sticking though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MrFrisp wrote: »

It's so light. It just blows away. It's basically just frozen drizzle it's not proper snow at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Fairly heavy in greystones again now.

RhuHbhFl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

I have a sneaky feeling when the winds go slightly lighter and veer more northeast that some areas will do better as the showers move slower etc.

As an aside, the latest Hirlam gives the beefiest precip around 6-9pm / Also develops a stronger section of convection to the southeast.

Would suggest Wexford/Waterford coastal parts (at least) should get a fair covering by morning.

Keeping the faith @ 2pm.

8 hours and 10 hours to go/ showers keep going to 6am/9am for the southeast.

I have been surprised to today with the frequency of the showers was not really expecting anything although as im typing we are having another heavy shower.. but its def graupel, little snow pellets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

yeah, I was worried about the wind and my concerns proved to be right. The problem here isn't lack of convection - there's plenty of that. It's that wind that doesnt allow the showers to consolidate and dump their load A few heavy graupel showers here in Dalkey, had a nice snow shower in cc this morning. Another 12 hour window for precip I'd say (more in the SE)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I still have hope/expectation that there will be 2-5cm lying in many parts of the east by dawn tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's been the odd flurry of snow here in Cork City since about 10am. Nothing sustained, just a flurry every so often lasting a few minutes at most.
    None of it's sticking (it's not cold enough by a long shot).
    The odd shower of what looks more like hailstones too mixed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I'm due to fly home from Amsterdam tonight, landing at 9.30. You reckon I'll be ok? Is there enough snow to close to airport or divert?

I still have hope/expectation that there will be 2-5cm lying in many parts of the east by dawn tomorrow.

I agree. Showers should consistently build from now throughout the evening. Can see Wicklow doing v well later on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A dry slot here now.

Wait until later. When winds go more NNE, the streamers will be back (to Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

More showers bubbling up now

I know that ifs and buts are pointless but seriously, if the wind had been half as strong as it was today most of the E coast would be white at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

North Dublin is now in the dreaded IOM shadow. God dam you IOM..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Current state of things in N. County Cork (180m ASL)

23jqwrp.jpg

A few very heavy showers of Sleet/Snow/Hail all morning but nothing much sticking apart from a dusting on the grass..... Its bloody freezing though outside, the breeze is exceptionally cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Saganist wrote: »
    North Dublin is now in the dreaded IOM shadow. God dam you IOM..

Blame Fionn McCool, he lifted a big lump of rock/muck up creating Lough Neagh and then threw into into the Irish Sea creating IOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Do ya know,I like the look of,and trajectory of those growing clumps northwest of anglesea that look like they are veering towards me

just caught the side of that heavy bray/greystones shower. More activity in the Irish sea with white squally type showers about 25 km off shore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

cruais wrote: »
    I'm due to fly home from Amsterdam tonight, landing at 9.30. You reckon I'll be ok? Is there enough snow to close to airport or divert?

Not presently, and the showers will tend to move southwards. You should be ok

Air pressure also dropping now, a little, which will also help showers build.

Sunny with blue skies here at the moment but lots of cloud to my north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Snowing heavily in enniscorthy area just now, showers beefing up and slowing down over Wexford county

pretty impressive showers just off the coast here, white touching all the way down to sea. Maybe the sun will help these showers build more

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

got fairly decent shower here a few mins ago

screw the radar, much better idea of direction/strength of showers by looking out my bedroom windown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Semi-blizzard in Carrick-on-Suir now, falling heavy. Can see the river out my window in work and it's looking fairly heavy over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Showers are becoming more frequent & heavier here in Enniscorthy.Not enough to get excited over but it's something.

light snow shower now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Started here now again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement