Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

no decent snow here in D22 for a while now.. but great breeze the towels I hung out drying well .... every cloud has a silver lining an all that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Started here now again

That's nice. I wonder will it come here after its been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

patneve2 wrote: »
    just caught the side of that heavy bray/greystones shower. More activity in the Irish sea with white squally type showers about 25 km off shore

Looking out over the Irish Sea and Dublin Bay from Glencullen I see a massive mass of cloud and snow coming directly towards Dublin /North Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    What part of east Galway? Can't see anything snowlike here and i live outside Monivea.

I was over around Loughrea/Craughwell area. Looked like there was plenty falling up around Derrybrien. A few flakes blowing in the wind around Athenry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 samiboy

Are these showers not pointless at this stage as they will melt soon after no matter how heavy they are? or will they be heavy enough to stick and accumulate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Snow then sun snow then sun blizzard then sun in waterford ... is their any chance we will get sustained showers later today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

samiboy wrote: »
    Are these showers not pointless at this stage as they will melt soon after no matter how heavy they are? or will they be heavy enough to stick and accumulate?

Not if we get a proper streamer. They can last for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Cogsy88 wrote: »

Not if we get a proper streamer. They can last for a few hours.

Blizzarding again in dublin 15!!!" Whiteout again.

Dublin.getting bashed again..same ol, same ol.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Snizzling the last few mins in D15. Very light-blowing around in the wind. A snizzard of sorts..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Saganist wrote: »
    North Dublin is now in the dreaded IOM shadow. God dam you IOM..

Hey, at least you've only got the IOM to shadow you. Try having all of Roscommon, Longford, Cavan, Monaghan, Armagh and Down in the way... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

cruais wrote: »
    I'm due to fly home from Amsterdam tonight, landing at 9.30. You reckon I'll be ok? Is there enough snow to close to airport or divert?

More then likely you will be late in

My other half flew this morning and they are 2 and a half hours behind schedule and that will get worse as the day goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

Thunder Snow / Hail in Newcastle,Co Dublin just now, room lit up with a flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Irish sea looks less active than an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Sparks43 wrote: »

More then likely you will be late in

My other half flew this morning and they are 2 and a half hours behind schedule and that will get worse as the day goes on

Sure that was snow? Nothing has landed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

loadsofham wrote: »
    Thunder Snow / Hail in Newcastle,Co Dublin just now, room lit up with a flash

:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Coulda sworn i just heard thunder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Nice heavy snow in Kilcoole at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

cruais wrote: »
    I'm due to fly home from Amsterdam tonight, landing at 9.30. You reckon I'll be ok? Is there enough snow to close to airport or divert?

not enough snow at all to close the airport or divert, at present anyway.

But there may be delays. And not because of snow on the runway.

But because they're built to be safe, planes are highly sensitive to temperatures like this. They need to be turned on and "warmed up" as you would your car on a frosty morning.

For instance if it were 10c outside a plane might be turned on at 6pm, but now needs to be turned on at 4pm, to allow it to adjust and to get rid of false warning lights etc due to the cold.

This will take more time for planes to depart, causing delays, and with maintanance staff focussed here, as well as runway backup, this will also affect arrivals too.

Hence why airports get a bollo**ing in the media for having delays for little snow on the runway. Its not 100percent to do with that at all. There's the stuff such as this going on behind the scenes too, calling in your staff on days off/short notice etc.

Anyway, keeping on topic. I would love a good blanket of the stuff tonight :D unlikely, but sure :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Showers on and off all day in Waterford City with some heavy and others of a more graupel nature.The Met Eireann radar is not picking up all the shower activity and i'm using the Netweather.tv version which is proving to be a lot more accurate.
    The East facing webcam on my site is picking up the incoming showers nicely one of which is incoming now.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Sure that was snow? Nothing has landed anywhere.

Just bad delays with the airports this morning

Most flights an hour or more late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Garzard

While cycling home from Dun Laoghaire earlier I got a photo of this mad looking snow cloud before it caught up with me on Stillorgan Road! :D

537502_510059149040436_106733103_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Snowing in castlebar, very lightly though, been freezing here all day with gusty winds and very overcast now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Proper snow now in Salins !

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Showers on and off all day in Waterford City with some heavy and others of a more graupel nature.The Met Eireann radar is not picking up all the shower activity and i'm using the Netweather.tv version which is proving to be a lot more accurate.
    The East facing webcam on my site is picking up the incoming showers nicely one of which is incoming now.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

yep nice heavy snow shower atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mother of all Blizzards in Naas atm Holy ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Goes without saying but snowing in Waterford again :P Blizzard like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

pad199207 wrote: »
    Mother of all Blizzards in Naas atm Holy ****!

Yes it's heavy enough alright...hopefully the first of many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Proper snow now in castlebar for the last 15 mins, coming down nice and steady, it's the real stuff as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

blizzard in waterford where? the city? im in tramore and trying to time a walk with some snow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement