Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Snowing in Camolin at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

blankAs wrote: »
    blizzard in waterford where? the city? im in tramore and trying to time a walk with some snow!

City yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Lots of snow in Naas. The wind is really driving it.

I am just standing outside in it.

I don't know why it is not sticking. It has fallen from 1.1c to 0.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

looking at the radars ... dont see anything exciting looks like its gona stay like this on and off would love to see a big streamer that takes hours to pass... oh to dream
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

another dusting here now in my part of Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Really coming down in Greystones again now. Starting to stick too, all the roofs are white. By the sounds of the windows there some hail in there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sure that was snow? Nothing has landed anywhere.

Reports from Dublin airport this morning said it took 20-30 mins to clear snow, this has had a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Garzard wrote: »
    While cycling home from Dun Laoghaire earlier on I got a photo of this mad looking cloud before it caught up with me on Stillorgan Road! :D

537502_510059149040436_106733103_n.jpg

What road is that? It looks really familiar but I can't quite place it and it's killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

pfft. snow not sticking. not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    pfft. snow not sticking. not impressed

You're never happy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Reports from Dublin airport this morning said it took 20-30 mins to clear snow, this has had a knock on effect.

Gone to 3 hours now

244592.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Garzard

IceFjoem wrote: »
    What road is that? It looks really familiar but I can't quite place it and it's killing me!

Kill Lane or Kill Avenue, one or the other. That cloud dumped a blizzard on me as soon as I got past the church! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Really coming down in Greystones again now. Starting to stick too, all the roofs are white. By the sounds of the windows there some hail in there too!

What time it start at? It doesn't seem to be stopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

red_bairn wrote: »
    What time it start at? It doesn't seem to be stopping :)

I'd say this batch started about half an hour ago. Seems to be stopping now, it's been on and off all day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

heavy snow in kilcoole now as well, really starting to stick, anyone know what windgates is like or bray in general ive to head in to work for 5 wondering should i give myself more time then im planning

You're never happy:)

ohhhh hang on. there maybe hope yet. bigger flakes falling in cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Ludicrous blizzard for a minute in Booterstown just there. Sunny again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

Get Real wrote: »
    not enough snow at all to close the airport or divert, at present anyway.

But there may be delays. And not because of snow on the runway.

But because they're built to be safe, planes are highly sensitive to temperatures like this. They need to be turned on and "warmed up" as you would your car on a frosty morning.

For instance if it were 10c outside a plane might be turned on at 6pm, but now needs to be turned on at 4pm, to allow it to adjust and to get rid of false warning lights etc due to the cold.

This will take more time for planes to depart, causing delays, and with maintanance staff focussed here, as well as runway backup, this will also affect arrivals too.

Hence why airports get a bollo**ing in the media for having delays for little snow on the runway. Its not 100percent to do with that at all. There's the stuff such as this going on behind the scenes too, calling in your staff on days off/short notice etc.

Anyway, keeping on topic. I would love a good blanket of the stuff tonight :D unlikely, but sure :P

simply put , rubbish talk !!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have to call you out on this....what a load of horsesh!t. :confused:

Haha :D i know it sounds farfetched, but it can happen. The equipment lying idle in an aircraft in 0c for a certain number of hours can mean misreadings. They're not immune to weather either. I'm only talking initially for the first hour or two they're on. A fault light might be on and the lads would have to check if there was a fault, if there's not, leave the plane a while to heat and see does the equipment correct itself.

As I said its the same with all the background goings on at the Airport in cold weather. Its not the actual flying or snow on the runway but the pre-flight checks being slowed down by the cold:

"We have issues keeping equipment running," said Chris Barbre, manager of ramp and operations for Southwest Airlines at Mitchell International. "It's not just the aircraft. It's the belt loaders and the tugs and the pushback trucks and all our ground support equipment that we have to address."

Full article here: http://www.jsonline.com/business/cold-weather-requires-all-hands-on-deck-at-airports-e18e3kv-187983221.html

also here about how many checks need to be done: http://www.businessaircraftcenter.com/articles/preparing-plane-aircraft-flying-cold-weather-winter-art0111.htm

thats why the media hypes up an airport delay or closure and people get angry. But in fact theres loads going on behind the scenes. Its not just as simple as snow on the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

mayfly757 wrote: »
    simply put , rubbish talk !!
    read my above post :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Big chunky looking showers heading for the south Meath/North Dublin area soon. More building behind further upstream. They look like right doozies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

heavy snow in kilcoole now as well, really starting to stick, anyone know what windgates is like or bray in general ive to head in to work for 5 wondering should i give myself more time then im planning

Getting the odd shower but nothing even close to sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Stopped snowing in Kilcoole now, but the next shower can't be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Garzard wrote: »
    Kill Lane or Kill Avenue, one or the other. That cloud dumped a blizzard on me as soon as I got past the church! :D

Ah thank you sir, I must've just missed the cloud then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

highdef wrote: »
    Big chunky looking showers heading for the south Meath/North Dublin area soon. More building behind further upstream. They look like right doozies :)

Can i ask where you get these forcasts from?

I see sod all on met.ie at the moment

Trying to stick. Best bit of snow we got all day

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Starting to do a quick wash here again in Tallght/Firhouse

temp is dropping - now down to 0C and DP is up to -7C.

Oooohhhh!

Proper big flakes here now! Blizzardy winds, and a nice big fat grey cloud just full of it! (ppn that is ;))

Edit - it has stopped now.......bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So much for the West not getting anything, mini blizzard in castlebar at the moment, pity its not sticking though

Edit - now nothing again, very dark clouds all around though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Garzard

Starting to do a quick wash here again in Tallght/Firhouse

temp is dropping - now down to 0C and DP is up to -7C.

Oooohhhh!

Proper big flakes here now! Blizzardy winds, and a nice big fat grey cloud just full of it! (ppn that is ;))

I'm in Knocklyon and its just after stopping, another big one moving in though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

Get Real wrote: »
    Haha :D i know it sounds farfetched, but it can happen. The equipment lying idle in an aircraft in 0c for a certain number of hours can mean misreadings. They're not immune to weather either. I'm only talking initially for the first hour or two they're on. A fault light might be on and the lads would have to check if there was a fault, if there's not, leave the plane a while to heat and see does the equipment correct itself.

As I said its the same with all the background goings on at the Airport in cold weather. Its not the actual flying or snow on the runway but the pre-flight checks being slowed down by the cold:

"We have issues keeping equipment running," said Chris Barbre, manager of ramp and operations for Southwest Airlines at Mitchell International. "It's not just the aircraft. It's the belt loaders and the tugs and the pushback trucks and all our ground support equipment that we have to address."

Full article here: http://www.jsonline.com/business/cold-weather-requires-all-hands-on-deck-at-airports-e18e3kv-187983221.html

also here about how many checks need to be done: http://www.businessaircraftcenter.com/articles/preparing-plane-aircraft-flying-cold-weather-winter-art0111.htm

thats why the media hypes up an airport delay or closure and people get angry. But in fact theres loads going on behind the scenes. Its not just as simple as snow on the runway.

This would be the case if you were dealing with sub zero temps over a long night period with the aircraft on the ground , not the cool temps we are enjoying! There is no difficulty with equipment at Dublin airport .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement