Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

DominoDub wrote: »
    This should warm up those who are feeling today's wind chill !

zbbXf5N.jpg

It's hardly a blue sky, to be fair:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Getting a nice dusting here in South Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wow, somewhat confusing thread for catching up, I counted 734 blizzards and 689 references to no snow, but with the pictures and time lapse radar I was able to get some sense of how it has played out. In some ways, the ideal snow event if you get to see snow falling and it doesn't prevent anyone from getting around (unless flying into Dublin earlier). Seems like there have been a few areas of heavier snow well off to the northwest of Dublin but otherwise just plenty of snow in air failing to stick on ground.

That may improve after dark for a number of reasons which posters have already mentioned. First of all, wind speeds should decrease gradually as gradient relaxes a bit, that may allow some streamers to expand (but they won't get all the way across the country like I see on current satellite and radar). The gradual wind shift to about 030 deg will favour Wicklow and Wexford but not necessarily take Dublin out of the game. Clearing skies inland and a return to bitterly cold temperatures may set up a tendency for convergence around Dublin (land wind undercutting streamer bands).

So the best of this may be yet to come and I would note that some parts of northwest also get into much better wind directions for local snow there soon.

Next weekend looking rather interesting at this point with strong low pressure forming somewhere more to south and east than over or west of Ireland on most of the models so far. Uppers remain quite cold despite a mild signal for Friday and there may be snowfall chances again by next weekend. Would not say better than even chances yet though.

Thanks to all those who have taken time to post pictures and detailed reports, I enjoy seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Irish sea looking less and less interesting to me tbh, hopefully a few straddling UK showers can add some oomph.

I really wouldn't hold much hope for a covering here, Wicklow Mts. will destroy most showers for me!

Best snow to watch of the winter regardless, pity so many factors we're against us! Could have been an epic November-January spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

whitebriar wrote: »
    I notice the radar echoes in the Irish sea are getting circular in nature,would there be little low's trying to form out there?
    There wouldn't be a snowman's chance in hell of LP formation in the Irish Sea today. The airflow is very turbulent and shower development is being tossed about by the very substantial vertical wind shear today. As showers develop the faster upper level winds are dragging and spreading the cloud tops over a wider area. There isn't nearly enough warm or moist air rising for the kind of convection needed to generate any kind of rotation or LP formation anywhere north of Cornwall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

mother and father of a cloud coming at me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

very heavy in Trim last half hour proper snow best since 2010 latest is 1" and still heavy enough,roads are clear but starting to get covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I would note that some parts of northwest also get into much better wind directions for local snow there soon.

PRAISE THE LORD !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

Mini blizzard just finished in blanchardstown. Mixture of grappel and actual flakes. Clear skies at the moment but a big cloud looks to be on its way.

Loving the snow. It's been worth all that time spent trying to read models and riding the snowcoaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Traffic cameras in Dublin show how localised it is. Blizzard in Balbriggan, snowing in lucan, sun shining in stillorgan/foxrock.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wind has disappeared here in Carlow and the last snow shower lasted a lot longer than previous ones. The ground is now well covered and the roads are pretty bad in rural hilly areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Really heavy in naas now, massive flakes !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Showers still looking decidedly toothless although a heavier pushing through Meath.

Come on Oirish Sea, give us few gears!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

here we go again boys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snow still clinging to the shadows and mud here in Dublin 4. Great day today. Walked to work and visibility dropped to 150mts at one stage. Although it didn't stick I don't mind. It march and this bonus snow. Which the models progged very well.

Some nice pictures coming in. Some not so descriptive updates on amounts or location :)

Enjoyed reading the forecasts and probability's from some of the learned folks in here.

I really appreciate your time and effort. No need to mention names you know who you are.

Looking forward to tonight.

Also looking forward to the "I'm calling it post" tomorrow.

Enjoy the snow those who have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Showers still looking decidedly toothless although a heavier pushing through Meath.

Come on Oirish Sea, give us few gears!
    It's over for today I think. Where else are we going to get the convection and instability once the sun goes down? :(

Also, I wish more people would say how long their "blizzards" lasted for. The radar would suggest rarely more than 10 minutes. Also, locations please!!

Beside the phoenix park I see an odd shaded patch or two with a dusting of snow. Or else some corners which caught snow and formed miniature drifts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Crappy little showers mixed with sunshine all day here in Trim, nothing much at all, so decided to go for a run. What happens? Lashes snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It's really beginning to dry up here in Cork, and the showers are becoming weaker. We'll have to make the most we can out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Only maybe one shower here today with actual snow flakes, about 15 with grauple that just got l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Only maybe one shower here today with actual snow flakes, about 15 with grauple that just got blown away without sticking :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

White here in Naas now with a good dusting!

-2c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Really heavy in naas now, massive flakes !

Give a lad a photo , I have had to look out the window of the Coombe all day and not get out to soak up !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

really heavy here in Dublin 15 now. wind gets very gusty during the showers to make it really blizzard like and visibility drops big time. They do however never last more than 5-10 mins. This one is the first in a while to whiten the roads/paths. Some snow still left over from this mornings heavier falls however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It's really beginning to dry up here in Cork, and the showers are becoming weaker. We'll have to make the most we can out of this.

Cobh is getting showers about every 20 mins for last hour hopefully it pushs your way.Nothing major little dandruff things but still snow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Not a drop here in tallaght
    Sun still out bright blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just got dark really quick,snowing DN22

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Has got darker in Lucan, few flakes dancing in the wind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Showers getting better now with big heavy flakes and poor visibilty and then back to schnizzle again.

Better than nothing though.
    South wexford.
    Wonder will the irish sea keep em comin tonight .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Have had sweet f*ck all today and last night, Few showers of graupely crap blowing in the wind but nothing else.

I like MTs optimism about Wicklow/Wexford being the place to be later on but I just can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ffs I'm retracting another statement
    Just gotten real dark suddenly and small speckles starting to fall
    Sun dried the ground and now its freezin out
    Good hour of heavy snow and it'll finally be proper snow on the ground

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement