Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

baraca wrote: »
    Have had sweet f*ck all today and last night, Few showers of graupely crap blowing in the wind but nothing else.

I like MTs optimism about Wicklow/Wexford being the place to be later on but I just can't see it.

Looks good for you later tonight/ the morning, keep the faith, meso models have forecast the heaviest precip of any of the showes for that region later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We've learnt a lot from this.
    Models ppn projections are spot on!!!!
    Explosive development my eye, snizzle is all most have got all day
    Game, set and match to Met Eireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Any chance in Louth seeing a proper snow shower later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Looks good for you later tonight/ the morning, keep the faith, meso models have forecast the heaviest precip of any of the showes for that region later.

Hopefully WC, I've been saying the last few days that monday evening was my best chance but you know yourself when it comes around you just want it to be your turn now and then get disheartend as it goes on! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Yes and no, they didn't think we were even going to get as cold temps as we did only late on Saturday nite did they come around to the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy shower again in Waterford City. Arguably the heaviest of the day so far.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

Yes and no, they didn't think we were even going to get as cold temps as we did only late on Saturday nite did they come around to the idea.

That's a fair point.
    The models, particularly the gfs got it spot on though
    They had temps, wind and ppn almost 100% and this was days back

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

What's the chance of any proper snow hitting the rathangan are this evening we've had feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

And not forgetting Maquiladora who went against what everyone was saying and was fairly spot on;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Ground is getting a bit white but these showers are hopeless and the window of opportunity is closing..Fair play to MT for calling this cold snap weeks back..ok so it didn't have the intensity we wanted but was a great ramp and I reckon the MET dithered so long they came out looking best .Still prefer MT forecast because he makes it interesting...Cheers MT!
    Folks would do well to remember that it is the weather and its not 100% predicatable(someone should sticky this basic fact) but the regulars know this and we will be here when the other 800 casuals bugger off back to AH or where ever they appear from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Heavy shower again in Waterford City. Arguably the heaviest of the day so far.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

Finally beginning to accumulate....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

West Cork blizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

id swear that black cloud gave me the finger passing by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

Heavy snow falling in trim and sticking. Everything is covered. Even my tyre tracks are white, didnt go through to the tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

12hr prep totals up to 1815 UTC. NE air stream very apparent.

244632.PNG

From Netweather.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In my limited experience streamers die off after dark so I wouldn't be hugely hopeful about tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Definitely the worst of the snow so far here in Waterford city now.
    I was thinking that this might have cleared away by now but what are the chances of the showers continuing through the night down this end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The hi-res models were showing no precipitation at all for late last yesterday/early hours of this morning and yet there were light showers coming onto the coast all through that period. Not exactly a great forecast from the models either. Ended up as a kind of middle ground between what the models were showing and what some of the posters on here were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Snowing heavily now down here in Waterford. No doubt the heaviest snow here since the snow storm in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Really heavy in naas now, massive flakes !
    I second that, I got off the train in Sallins about 30 mins ago and it was coming down sideways, nice big flakes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sully2010 wrote: »
    And not forgetting Maquiladora who went against what everyone was saying and was fairly spot on;)
    There were a few who were skeptical in the last few days, it wouldn't be fair to pitch it as "this poster" vs "that poster".

Having said that I agree that Maq got most of his/her calls right, of the ones I read anyway. No matter how bad models may be at streamers, they're not going to predict only 10% of what actually happens!!

Trogdor wrote: »
    The hi-res models were showing no precipitation at all for late last yesterday/early hours of this morning and yet there were light showers coming onto the coast all through that period. Not exactly a great forecast from the models either. Ended up as a kind of middle ground between what the models were showing and what some of the posters on here were expecting.

Exactly, remember the Hi-Res UKM that MAQ quoted yesterday has absolutely nothing showing, yet there was a peppering of light snow showers all day.

The sea temp being 7c instead of the 10c you'd have in late November/December, was probably the difference between the cloud heights not being an extra 1000/2000ft and the intensity of the showers being that extra. Plus the strength of the wind resulted in todays showers not dumping much. For example most accums today and this morning were inland where the winds were less and the movement of the shower slowed down allowing the shower to deliver more precip.

Anyway.

Radar showing some signs of rejuvenation with some energy spilling in from the north of England, mayve some decent echoes into Dublin/Wicklow in coming hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think thats it for the night, quite an extraordinary day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Trogdor wrote: »
    Never mind the hi res models, the GFS was able to show Sunday evening's potential and it's probably the most widely used model here for general forecasting or chart posting! A model predicting a trace amount when 1 cm actually falls, and a forecast for 8cm widely when 1cm actually falls are very different things.

Weathercheck, if I may speak on his behalf, has praised the GFS on more than one occasion for its capacity to predict precipitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Very happy so far with about 2cm and more to come. Whiteout conditions at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In my limited experience streamers die off after dark so I wouldn't be hugely hopeful about tonight.

Dublin, New Years Eve 2009 would contradict that statement!:)

Radar has dropped off a lot in the last hour
    It seems the sunshine was mainly responsible for keeping the showers going across land today
    Coastal showers from now on gradually dieing out

If i could pick a spot right now for the next few hours i would pick South Dublin/ North Wicklow and then migrate southwards later in the night!

I think the next few hours are going be the sig. ones for some areas. I might just be a bit too far north as winds back more northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Was quite surprised at how localized the snow fall was today ,no snow in my home town this morning and five minutes down the road a blizzard and 2 inch's of snow on the ground five minutes on further no snow made for fun driving conditions on the motor bike.
    was caught in a total white out coming home temperature drooped so much the inside of my voiser froze mad ,had to pull over and wait twenty minutes before i could continue.

• Advertisement

Redsunset wrote: »
    Very happy so far with about 2cm and more to come. Whiteout conditions at times.

You went to some serious work getting them flakes from your freezer! Fair Play :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement