Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

If i could pick a spot right now for the next few hours i would pick South Dublin/ North Wicklow and then migrate southwards later in the night!

I think the next few hours are going be the sig. ones for some areas. I might just be a bit too far north as winds back more northerly.

Agree, there is a bit of a pickup on the radar

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Exactly, remember the Hi-Res UKM that MAQ quoted yesterday has absolutely nothing showing, yet there was a peppering of light snow showers all day.

The sea temp being 7c instead of the 10c you'd have in late November/December, was probably the difference between the cloud heights not being an extra 1000/2000ft and the intensity of the showers being that extra. Plus the strength of the wind resulted in todays showers not dumping much. For example most accums today and this morning were inland where the winds were less and the movement of the shower slowed down allowing the shower to deliver more precip.

Anyway.

Radar showing some signs of rejuvenation with some energy spilling in from the north of England, mayve some decent echoes into Dublin/Wicklow in coming hour or so.
    In fairness Matt the NAE had also highlighted today's potential quite accurately and probably would have shown last night's stuff if it could have reported 0.5 mm amounts on its ppn charts.

And with the speed of the wind at 1000 metres, showers were always going to be carried well inland with less time spent over sea in comparison. Plus the temperatures in the first dreadful week in Nov/Dec 2010 had SST's closer to 12 degrees. Nearly 5 degrees in the difference. Makes a massive impact on evaporation. I said earlier that I expected today's showers to make their way towards Tipp and beyond and I got that call wrong because some of them actually made it to the Atlantic!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Dublin, New Years Eve 2009 would contradict that statement!:)
    That night consisted of a few slowish-moving stray showers that happened to fall on very populated areas. And it only gave what, 1.5cm?? Nothing to get carried away over, even many places today got what that night saw in Dublin. I think the week after that brought much more snow and streamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Game, set and match to Met Eireann!
    Really? They were very late calling the severe cold, had to be phoned to mention the wind chill and only started calling any snow at all over the weekend. I'd be calling it a draw to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Really? They were very late calling the severe cold, had to be phoned to mention the wind chill and only started calling any snow at all over the weekend. I'd be calling it a draw to be honest.
    Met Eireann thread is that way>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

You went to some serious work getting them flakes from your freezer! Fair Play :pac:

Yeah right. Wouldn't have the time for that. My sister only 4 mile away has practically zilch. Got caught in good steamers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forrest gump

Nice bit of snow in Tullamore looks like it might last for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

We've learnt a lot from this.
    Models ppn projections are spot on!!!!
    Explosive development my eye, snizzle is all most have got all day
    Game, set and match to Met Eireann!

You're like a broken record at this stage.

There were numerous heavy snow showers in Dublin today. On Friday and Saturday the models and Met E were forecasting no precipitation at all when most people on here were saying some snow would have to fall because of streamers.

You may have got no snow today but plenty of other people in Ireland did.

Admittedly today wasn't the snowmageddon that M. T. and others forecast (which was just bonkers to be honest) but it certainly wasn't the bone-dry forecast which some of the main models were forecasting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It think the streamers will continue tonight. The sun isn't the sole instigator of streamers as i feel some posters are sygesting. The first snow had here in Dub4 was long after sunset, 23:20. But with the wind set to ease up somewhat, I don't think any developing streamer will make it beyond Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Snow still falling hard and steady here in Waterford. Jean clearly loves us. We're getting showers all night and I will post tomorrow morning from my garden if I can wade through the drifts.

Who'd have thought we'd be the special ones tonight? Feels a bit like me debs.. Great now but it'll get very disappointing very quick in the mornin :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

showers seem to be intensifying looks better for later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That night consisted of a few slowish-moving stray showers that happened to fall on very populated areas. And it only gave what, 1.5cm?? Nothing to get carried away over, even many places today got what that night saw in Dublin. I think the week after that brought much more snow and streamers.

It was definitely more than 1.5cms in some parts on 31/12/09 and snowed continuously for about 2-3 hours with a similar type of precip we saw today (grains/graupels). We easily got about 3 inches out of that one in West Dublin as I remember everyone outside at midnight building loads of snowmen in a carnival like atmosphere! Wouldn't have been able to do that with just 1.5cms.

Back to present - another heavy burst here in D15 - seem to be getting more frequent and since the sun has gone down, the snow settles rather than blows around into nothing as it had been doing for a lot of the afternoon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I had 2-3 inches in D14 that night and had thought they were from a streamer??

Dan :)

compsys wrote: »
    You're like a broken record at this stage.

There were numerous heavy snow showers in Dublin today. On Friday and Saturday the models and Met E were forecasting no precipitation at all when most people on here were saying some snow would have to fall because of streamers.

You may have got no snow today but plenty of other people in Ireland did.

Admittedly today wasn't the snowmageddon that M. T. and others forecast (which was just bonkers to be honest) but it certainly wasn't the bone-dry forecast which some of the main models were forecasting either.
    There's literally one report so far of snow over 3 cm. I think Met forecasters were very wide of the mark with the temperature forecasts for today ("wintry showers" my eye) but most of the models were showing low levels of precip and that's pretty much what we got. No one needs to get their knickers in a twist over an overestimation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Epic snow here in Waterford, coming down heavy since 6pm, all roads completely white

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There's literally one report so far of snow over 3 cm. I think Met forecasters were very wide of the mark with the temperature forecasts for today ("wintry showers" my eye) but most of the models were showing low levels of precip and that's pretty much what we got. No one needs to get their knickers in a twist over an overestimation :)

I got confirmation, a wintry shower is 'Hail, Sleet & Snow'. So in a sense they were probably right, although the definition of sleet is a bit of a different depending on who you talk to.

For me it's rain/snow

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I had 2-3 inches in D14 that night and had thought they were of a streamer??

Dan :)
    D14, the foothills of the Dublin Mountains D14? :D

Have to say, I think people get a little carried away with their rulers/eyesight when it comes to snow. 3 inches on a footpath or road would have made an impact no one would forget. Snow piles on much deeper on grass. Heh, but if you insist of course ;)

Irish Sea has bubbled up in the last 60 minutes, perfect timing too! Let's give this a go. I'll take 1 or 2cms!

I got confirmation, a wintry shower is 'Hail, Sleet & Snow'. So in a sense they were probably right, although the definition of sleet is a bit of a different depending on who you talk to.

For me it's rain/snow
    I didn't elaborate on the wintry showers thing as my post would have doubled in size and would have been for the met thread too but I was taking aim at the "snow on higher ground" that was mentioned in a forecast over the weekend. It was basically foolish of them to even countenance that snow would only fall on high ground. When they say "wintry showers and snow on higher ground", it's implied they mean a mix of rain or sleet or snow at lower levels. In the face of -12 850 hpa upper temperatures... It's lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

A bit of sleet here looks like styrofoam ! Not much hope for any real snow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford snow shield well and truly broken this evening. Looks lovely out there, hopefully will be gone by the morning mind..

I didn't elaborate on the wintry showers thing as my post would have doubled in size and would have been for the met thread too but I was taking aim at the "snow on higher ground" that was mentioned in a forecast over the weekend. It was basically foolish of them to even countenance that snow would only fall on high ground. When they say "wintry showers and snow on higher ground", it's implied they mean a mix of rain or sleet or snow at lower levels. In the face of -12 850 hpa upper temperatures... It's lunacy.

Oh no sorry i didn't mean to question you. Just from the horse's mouth today, wintry showers in the Mets eyes = 'Hail, Sleet & Snow'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

Can anyone give an opinion based on models radars etc on what we can expect over the next 8 hours (particularly north Dublin).

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting posts with people saying "I think that's it" or "that's not it". I can't separate what comes from informed opinions versus laymans instinct. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

SnowDancer wrote: »
    Can anyone give an opinion based on models radars etc on what we can expect over the next 8 hours (particularly north Dublin).

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting posts with people saying "I think that's it" or "that's not it". I can't separate what comes from informed opinions versus laymans instinct. Thanks :-)

I think Nrth Dublin will only get what we've gotten all day. Bits of snizzle with the odd heavy shower. Not enough for above 1cm I feel.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snow has pretty much gone from the South-West, very disappointing after the good run we saw earlier. Not expecting much else from now until morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Anything for north Louth later tonight? I think I'm probably too north for anything to happen based on forecasts here but I'll cling to any bit of hope someone gives :p

SnowDancer wrote: »

The radar is looking alright for areas south of Donabate at the moment, however showers still on the light side, but merging to something more persistent in nature. Hopefully they will pep up a little more, but i really am not too sure.

However i think as the night progresses the risk will move south from North Dublin, so now-midnight crucial.

Oh no sorry i didn't mean to question you. Just from the horse's mouth today, wintry showers in the Mets eyes = 'Hail, Sleet & Snow'. ;)
    Hah the only people that ought to be questioned are certain Met forecasters whose names I won't mention :eek: I didn't think you were questioning btw, it's hard to be critical of forecasts without sounding grumpy!

There's lots of juicy shower activity streaming over Lancashire at the moment but (great for some, sad for others) the fruits of that as they cross the Irish sea will fall on Wexford/Waterford!

North dublin looks bad from the forecasted shift in wind direction along with the Cumbrian mountains and Isle of Man (aka Mordor) getting in the way. Sadly the mountains are far larger and they're blocking up to 30km of the east coast from getting heavy showers! Follow it all here http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

After spending over 2 hours outside compressing snow in a little rectangular plastic bin to make snow blocks and an igloo. :P There was 7" deep drifts that I noticed while I was outside having fun, I got half the bottom base of the igloo done in the 2 hours XD. What I noticed was as soon as the sun set, the showers became less frequent and now barely any are around. :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement