Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focalprice tablet received not the one I ordered

Options
  • 06-03-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

For any one who bought one of the Android tablets from Focalprice mentioned in this thread, check that the one you got is actually the one you ordered.

I'd ordered this one, which arrived on Monday. It was only while trying to find out some technical information I needed for development that I discovered that instead of the model Q27B listed, mine had a model number of Q88.

It looks identical to the listed model, but I did a bit more checking and found that instead of a 1.2GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, and 4GB of internal storage, this one only has a 1GB CPU, 353 MB of ram, and about 2.7 GB storage.

So far, they've offered me vouchers in compensation, which is obviously no good as I won't be ordering off them again. It'll cost €25 to post the tablet back, plus the risk of getting hit for another €15 VAT if they send a replacement, so I think I'll just ask them for a partial refund and maybe sell it on cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Vouchers are not acceptable in this case. This is a clear example of the goods not being as described which means you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair (usual offerings). The refund does not mean credit (although some customers may be happy to accept that).

The retailer should also pay for or refund the cost of postage as they are at fault.

However, where is this retailer based?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

dudara wrote: »
    Vouchers are not acceptable in this case. This is a clear example of the goods not being as described which means you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair (usual offerings). The refund does not mean credit (although some customers may be happy to accept that).

The retailer should also pay for or refund the cost of postage as they are at fault.

However, where is this retailer based?

That's the problem, they're in China.
    Hopefully they'll agree to the partial refund, otherwise I'm probably going to end up in a Paypal dispute/card chargeback. :(

There were quite a few people in that thread who bought similar tablets, would be interesting to see if anyone else got the wrong item. Hopefully it's just an individual error, as opposed to them pulling a fast one. (Original thread is locked, hence posting here).

Looks like I'm heading towards returning it.

If I do send it back, and get a refund, can I reclaim the VAT I paid on it to customs here? Or if they're replacing it, is there some way of avoiding paying VAT again when the replacement arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

MOH wrote: »
    That's the problem, they're in China.
    Hopefully they'll agree to the partial refund, otherwise I'm probably going to end up in a Paypal dispute/card chargeback. :(

There were quite a few people in that thread who bought similar tablets, would be interesting to see if anyone else got the wrong item. Hopefully it's just an individual error, as opposed to them pulling a fast one. (Original thread is locked, hence posting here).

Where can you see the full specs of the tablet?
    i bought one and noticed there wasnt 4GB on it and posted in the main thread but nobody responded
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83161295

fifib wrote: »
    Where can you see the full specs of the tablet?
    i bought one and noticed there wasnt 4GB on it and posted in the main thread but nobody responded
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83161295

Main thread is locked, unfortunately.

You'll see the model number under System Settings > About Tablet.

For the rest, I downloaded a few free apps from the Play store - Android System Info, Quadrant Standard and CPU Master Free - and between them confirmed that the CPU, RAM and storage weren't as advertised.

There's a couple of other issues - the screen seems to extend a couple of mm below the black border on the front, so you can't quite see the edge of it without tilting the tablet, and the touchscreen calibration feels off, through that might just be me unused to it.

They initially offered me a $10 refund, then after further discussion asked would I accept a $5 voucher. :rolleyes:
    I'm really getting the impression they're a shower of cowboys, trying to fob me off until the Paypal dispute window closes, so unless they come back with a decent offer in the next 24 hours, I'll have to raise a payment dispute.

• Advertisement

Got nowhere through the paypal dispute process, so escalated to a claim.
    Paypal came back almost immediately in my favour.

Unfortunately, they required me to ship the item back by recorded delivery, which would cost more than the item was worth.

Bottom line, steer clear of Focalprice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i bought one from them aswell and it would not connect to wifi, i tried it at a few wifi spots and it still would not work,

so i got onto them and they said to bring it to a shop to get it fixed, ya right,
    i told them i did bring it to a shop( which i didn't) and the shop told me it had a defective chip, so then they asked me how much postage would cost to send back to them and i said around 20 euro,

i waited a few days got no reply so mailed them again and they said they would send out a replacement and there was no need to send back the tablet that wasn't working so i was happy with that,

also did not get nabbed at customs for either.

gustafo wrote: »
    i bought one from them aswell and it would not connect to wifi, i tried it at a few wifi spots and it still would not work,

so i got onto them and they said to bring it to a shop to get it fixed, ya right,
    i told them i did bring it to a shop( which i didn't) and the shop told me it had a defective chip, so then they asked me how much postage would cost to send back to them and i said around 20 euro,

i waited a few days got no reply so mailed them again and they said they would send out a replacement and there was no need to send back the tablet that wasn't working so i was happy with that,

also did not get nabbed at customs for either.

Really? I told them what was wrong with it, sent them screenshots proving it, which they accepted, but they flatly refused to do anything about it. They did suggest I get it repaired locally, but given that it wasn't broken, just a much inferior model, that wasn't an option. Tried to be as reasonable as possible, but they just kept fobbing me off. Googling since has turned up quite a few similar cases.

And I got hit for customs on it :(

Fair dues Paypal!

Deadline for sending on tracking information was today. Sent them a message through their contact form last night pointing out that since it was going to cost me more to send the item back with tracking than the item was worth, I was reluctantly going to have to withdraw the claim. Pointed out that the issue wasn't resolved, and asked they make a note of it for any future claims from others, since I've come across a fair few cases online of other people having similar issues with Focalprice.

Though that was the end of it, but then got a mail this afternoon saying they've found in my favour and have refunded me. :)

Advertisement