Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enzymes

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can someone please explain to me what the equatorial positions of an enzymes are.

What does it mean if an enzyme is equatorially arranged!?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

Never heard of it. Are you sure they arent referring to the stereochemistry at a particular site?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 okman

ah well.. no in context... the paper is saying that the enzyme prefers equatorially arranged substrate ions? What might you make of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

okman wrote: »
    ah well.. no in context... the paper is saying that the enzyme prefers equatorially arranged substrate ions? What might you make of this?

It could mean many things. Is there a porphyrin ring or any other large planer region at the active site? It could mean it prefers approach from the sides rather than the top or bottom. It could also refer to the stereochemistry of the substrate for example glucose which has all OH groups equatorially arranged compared to mannose which has axial groups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Cyclohexane and other saturated 6 membered rings (such as sugars) adopt conformations such that the ring substituents are described as either axial or equatorial, so I guess they are describing the enzymes selectivity for a particular substrate with these characteristics.

Any chance of a look at the paper? Just post up the DOI or citation and I can look it up...

Advertisement