Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trekking to Everest Base Camp & Island Peak, Nepal - book now or wait til Kathmandu?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Planning on doing Everest Base Camp + Island Peak in October.

Obviously there's the option of booking the package online. Its a nice comfort to have all that sorted but its expensive and I have more travelling afterwards which it'll take a chunk out of.

There's then the option of flying to Kathmandu and sorting it all out there - a couple of people who've trekked over there say this is a better/cheaper option.

However none of them have gone climbing and needless to say I want to be sure the company is reputable and their gear is good, I'd rather not be falling 1000 metres off the Himalayas.

If I was just trekking to EBC, I'd definitely leave it til I got over but its the climbing leg I'm not sure of.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Wait til you get to Kathmandu definitely to find a company. You could even wait until you fly in Lukla

In reality all you need is a Sherpa to carry the bag, unless you fancy doing it yourself, and then heading up island peak with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

thanks

if you don't mind me asking, have you done this kind of thing or know someone who has?

from what I can see the peak is a fixed rope climb/trek, so they are issues around safety equipment etc (I'll also be hiring all my climbing equipment).

That's the only thing I'm thinking about really. If I was only trekking i'd deffo just lash into Kathmandu and take it from there. I've contacted some agents over there too, so hopefully they made have some good info. Since I posted here I've had a lot of varied info on the net...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I didn't do Island Peak myself but those I met on the EBC trek in Dongboche who had climbed it had organised it from Kathmandu.

If you purchase before getting to Nepal you will pay over the odds. Get to Kathmandu and chat to other trekkers in the Bars of the Thamel area (Tom & Jerrys' for example) and they'll set you right for trekking companies.

I suppose I had the luxury of time on my side when I arrived in Kathmandu so wasn't rushed about heading off on the Trek straight away.

But i would advise booking when you get there and use the extra cash saved to head down to Chitwan when you're finished to do 'elephant bath time'

Advertisement