Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surrogate mum fled to save life of disabled foetus who's parents wanted it aborted

• 06-03-2013 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Well, if you wanted to write a moral dilemma for the 21st century I'd say this one ticks all the boxes.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/surrogate-mum-fled-across-us-to-save-life-of-disabled-baby-29111919.html
    A surrogate mother fled across the US to save the child's life when the couple whose baby she was carrying demanded she have an abortion after discovering the girl would be born severely disabled.

Crystal Kelley (30) learned five months into her pregnancy that the child she was carrying on behalf of another couple may be born with disabilities including a cleft lip and palate, a cyst in her brain and heart defects.

The intended parents said that they no longer wanted the child and told Ms Kelley that she should have an abortion, saying it was "more humane", and offered her $10,000 (e7,600) to terminate the pregnancy.

Ms Kelley, however, did not believe in abortion and refused. The couple said that they would instead take the child and put the boy or girl into foster care.
    In February 2012, when she was 21 weeks pregnant, an ultrasound scan showed the child had a cleft lip and palate, a cyst in the brain, and a heart abnormality.

Doctors said that while the girl would survive, there was only a 25pc chance she would have a "normal life" and would require several heart surgeries.

Ms Kelley then received a letter from a doctor on behalf of the intended parents that read: "Given the ultrasound findings, (the parents) feel that the interventions required to manage (the baby's medical problems) are overwhelming for an infant, and that it is a more humane option to consider pregnancy termination."

This will be an emotive issue for many people so there's no right or wrong side in my mind.
    I've always seen the surrogate mother as the biological mother whether it's her eggs or not so I'd side with her decision here.
    This is strange for me as I'm normally pro-choice on these matters.

It's a pity now that the child looks like just becoming a burden on the state without any true parents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's a tough one alright. It sounds like the child would be very seriously disabled, and I'd query its chances of surviving outside the womb with cysts in the brain. I feel for everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I can understand the wishes of the parents but no woman can be forced to have an abortion against her will so why she felt the need to run away is beyond me. I'm not sure how the law works but I would imagine the birth mother has no obligations to the child so won't be forced to raise it or anything if the parents walk away so surely next step would be adoption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Ms Kelley, however, did not believe in abortion and refused. The couple said that they would instead take the child and put the boy or girl into foster care.

In reality she fled to save it from foster care. No one was forcing her to have an abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    It's a pity now that the child looks like just becoming a burden on the state without any true parents.

I was reading about this yesterday. The baby has been born & is more disabled than first thought but an agreement was reached & the baby has been adopted by a couple who are aware of the disabilities so it wouldn't be a burden on the state at all.

I know what you mean about a dilemma though - it's not an easy decision. The thing that bothers me is that the parents had 3 other children & IVF hadn't worked & they wanted a fourth. At that point would you not think "ok we'd like a fourth but it's not happening for us" and focus on your 3 other children?

But if the biological mother feels she can't care for a severely handicapped child, and if the surrogate, who presumably now won't be getting any money from the biological parents, can't look after the child, who is going to want to adopt such a severely handicapped baby, knowing that there's a 75% chance they'll never have a normal life? Surgery to fix just a cleft palate is very expensive, let alone cysts in the brain and heart defects.

• Advertisement

I was reading about this yesterday. The baby has been born & is more disabled than first thought but an agreement was reached & the baby has been adopted by a couple who are aware of the disabilities so it wouldn't be a burden on the state at all.
    I'm glad to hear that.
    I know what you mean about a dilemma though - it's not an easy decision. The thing that bothers me is that the parents had 3 other children & IVF hadn't worked & they wanted a fourth. At that point would you not think "ok we'd like a fourth but it's not happening for us" and focus on your 3 other children?
    That does sound a bit strange. Perhaps it was a case where they have 3 boys and wanted a girl. But, yeah, if you've had three kids you'd think you could learn to be happy with what you have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The surrogate mother should look after the child in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Buyer's remorse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mackg wrote: »
    In reality she fled to save it from foster care. No one was forcing her to have an abortion.
    Indeed, more awesome journalism from the Indo.

It looks like the girl was unhappy with the parents deciding to put the child up for adoption and decided that she wanted control over where the child goes so she moved to a state which gave her that right.

A totally different issue than the one in the thread/article title.

The law in this case should acknowledge the position of the surrogate mother and if the genetic parents decide to put the child up for adoption, the surrogate must be given "first dibs" and allowed adopt the child ahead of anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The surrogate mother should look after the child in this case.

Why? :confused:

Surrogate mothers don't always have the means to raise a child, probably one of the reasons they become surrogates.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Surrogate mothers don't always have the means to raise a child, probably one of the reasons they become surrogates.

It's a bit rich to say - "I won't have the abortion, but I'll be damned if I'm going to mind this disabled kid for the rest of it's life".

That's my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The biological parents offered her money ($10k) to abort ASAP, as time was against them. She countered asking for $15k, they refused.

She lost all credibility as soon as she looked for more money. She'd also signed a contract agreeing to abort if they scans showed sever foetal problems.

My sympathy is mainly with the baby girl, and certainly not with the surrogate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The biological parents offered her money ($10k) to abort ASAP, as time was against them. She countered asking for $15k, they refused.

She lost all credibility as soon as she looked for more money. She'd also signed a contract agreeing to abort if they scans showed sever foetal problems.

My sympathy is mainly with the baby girl, and certainly not with the surrogate.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mackg wrote: »
    Link?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9910263/US-surrogate-mother-Crystal-Kelley-flees-after-babys-parents-order-her-to-abort-foetus.html
    They offered her $10,000 to have the procedure but Ms Kelley refused, demanding $15,000 instead in what she says was a "weak moment".

The parents refused, and reminded her of her contractual obligation to abort the foetus if it displayed signs of abnormality.

If she refused, she would be sued for the fee she had already received, plus all the medical expenses and legal fees.

With the 24-week legal limit for abortion approaching, Ms Kelley drove to Michigan, a state which considers the surrogate mother the legal guardian.

She decided that she could not raise the child however, and began to find a suitable adoptive couple who wanted a disabled child.

This woman doesn't sound mentally stable enough to have been acting as a surrogate for complete strangers.

That article also has more detail on the abnormalities;
    The baby was suspected to have a cleft palate, a brain cyst and serious heart defects. Doctors were unable to locate the child's spleen or stomach, and gave the baby only a 25 percent chance of living a normal life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Kudos to the adoptive couple. Restores my faith in humanity.

Advertisement