Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Servicing

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

I've had a thread about this before but need to bring it up again as i'm having real problems. I live in Cork City and need to service my 3-way fridge and water heater. Been phoning one place since new years who keep fobbing me off. Called Buckley's in Mallow today and they don't service them any more.

I need this done in the next few weeks but definitely before May when we travel to France for 3 weeks. Can anyone recommend a solution? Could I just ring around RGI people and see if they will do it or is that just a waste of time? I could travel to maybe Limerick to get it done but that seems excessive and would mean I would have to wait around. SOS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Given Aidan a shout in Pat Horan Motors (Im sure he will be along here with helpful suggestions)......wouldnt be a million miles from you.

He might be even able to suggest an wildcamping spot close by if you didnt want to driv up and down on same day

PS He has never done any work for me but I have heard brillant reviews from people that he has done work for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

Malta1 wrote: »
    Given Aidan a shout in Pat Horan Motors (Im sure he will be along here with helpful suggestions)......wouldnt be a million miles from you.

He might be even able to suggest an wildcamping spot close by if you didnt want to driv up and down on same day

PS He has never done any work for me but I have heard brillant reviews from people that he has done work for

I have heard good things as well and have had plenty of advice from him in the past. But all the way to North Tipp??? FAO: Aidan - I'll be passing through there on Good Friday, let me know if ye're open and whether you think this could be done while we pass through. I can PM details of the fridge and heater if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Since RGI certification became compulsory for any person working on gas and it becoming a criminal offence to do so without certification many people who were competent through experience no longer will get involved.

To make matters more difficult for motorhome and caravan owners I suspect a lot of RGI certified people who work primarily on domestic boilers etc. have little knowledge or detailed understanding of the types of gas equipment fitted to our vehicles.

You could try Camper World in Midleton, if they don't have a certified person on their staff I expect they could recommend one locally who would be familiar with motorhome equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Since RGI certification became compulsory for any person working on gas and it becoming a criminal offence to do so without certification many people who were competent through experience no longer will get involved.

To make matters more difficult for motorhome and caravan owners I suspect a lot of RGI certified people who work primarily on domestic boilers etc. have little knowledge or detailed understanding of the types of gas equipment fitted to our vehicles.

You could try Camper World in Midleton, if they don't have a certified person on their staff I expect they could recommend one locally who would be familiar with motorhome equipment.

Yeah, was told similar about RGI certification. Thanks for the tip on that place in Midleton, never heard of them. Will get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Yeah, was told similar about RGI certification. Thanks for the tip on that place in Midleton, never heard of them. Will get in touch.

Myself and some other techs trained on gas in Belfast over the winter, to a slightly higher level than RGI, and. Got RGI recognition as a result. 99% of domestic RGI fitters wouldn't have a clue about MH Heaters or fridges. Pm me , we might work something out ...(-;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Myself and some other techs trained on gas in Belfast over the winter, to a slightly higher level than RGI, and. Got RGI recognition as a result. 99% of domestic RGI fitters wouldn't have a clue about MH Heaters or fridges. Pm me , we might work something out ...(-;

As gas certification has been talked about by the RSA as a part of future roadworthiness testing I hope they take note of Aidan's comments and understand that an RGI certification does not necessarily equate to competence to check motorhome appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Aidan sorted our fridge out along with various other problems recently, he knows his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I have heard good things as well and have had plenty of advice from him in the past. But all the way to North Tipp??? FAO: Aidan - I'll be passing through there on Good Friday, let me know if ye're open and whether you think this could be done while we pass through. I can PM details of the fridge and heater if you need.

Pm received and replied to!

Advertisement