Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options
  • 06-03-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just about to enter my first marathon and strongly considering Dublin as work tends to be busiest from June to Early August and I could miss a lot of quality sessions during that period.

I think late October would be the best date as that would leave most of August and September pretty much uninterrupted in terms of quality training.

However, I'm not that pushed on Dublin itself, I'll enter and do it if it's the best choice but I'm quite happy to enter another race if it meets my criteria.

Can anyone recommend an alternative race around the same time? Also, does Dublin sell out early if I take my time deciding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

it doesnt sell out, but gets more expensive to enter the longer you leave it.

because it is so popular there are many training plans set up around it and the entire dublin race series is set up to bring you from zero to the big day itself.

its not a bad race at all, plenty of people lining the streets and roads, only a few wearying bits (I found the endless Crumlin Road worse than Roebuck Hill or under the Chapilizod bypass) and lots of fun and music going on at lots of places. Also, the finsh around Nassau Street and College Green is the nearest we will ever get to a stadium type surrounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are no marathons in Ireland around the same time (except maybe 100 marathon club self-supporting races?) because race directors are not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Go for it, make a decision and then you can focus on it. I did it last year after a 7 year gap and as the pope says there are lots of races designed to aid your training throughout the autumn. I've already booked the hotel for this year and will focus my training around it again. You won't regret it. It's a good course and the support is amazing especially if this is your first.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I'm currently training for Cork in June and really looking forward to it, I'm from Cork but live in Dublin, as its my first one I felt I had to do my home one first, but all going well I hope to do Dublin and compare the two, but go for it I have to say the sense of achievement already is brilliant and I'm only at the 10 to 12 mile, also can I suggest you try Hal Higdon training programme there is all levels catered for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Thanks everyone for the help.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and go with Dublin so. It will be my first marathon but I'll have done a couple of 10k's and halfs by then.

I'm seriously considering doing two halfs of the Stone Mad ultra in July as a good training weekend as well so hopefully I'll be well able for the training. Already doing a 20k lsr most weekends so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Did the DCM last year as my first marathon and can't recommend it enough. I want to do another marathon this year (depending on current injuries) and would usually vary it a bit by choosing a different marathon, but am probably gonna end up doing Dublin again. And that's nothing to do with convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Sign up for Dublin you wont regret it. Support you get is both uplifting and inspiring. Great to see kids out with banners etc.
    was my first last year and certainly wont be my last...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I ran DCM 5 times, love it and really looking forward to it each year.

You have almost 3 months from the end busy period at work to DCM. That's plenty of time to "polish" your training, considering you are already doing 20kms at week-end.
    Go for it and enjoy.

BTW, I started a thread here about Stone Mad

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As a first marathon Dublin is a good choice, the crowds will help you along as its very well supported. 2013 will be my third Dublin Marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I'll be running at DCM this year, looking forward to it. Any know if there will be a pace team? Shooting for 3:40 or a little under.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    I'll be running at DCM this year, looking forward to it. Any know if there will be a pace team? Shooting for 3:40 or a little under.

There'll be pacers again, as there have been for the past few years, sourced from this forum. A call for pacers will go out in June/July.

***This is totally unofficial, just getting soundings***

Previous years have had pacers every 15mins from 3:00, 3:15, ..., 5:00. What would people think about having pacers every 10 mins (so 3:00, 3:10, 3:20,...,5:00)?

I stress this isn't necessarily something they are actively considering, I'm just personally interested in people's views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Cool, seem to remember a few boardsies pacing over the last few years. every 15 minutes seems to be the norm in marathons I have run in. That said, running a marathon in April that has some pace groups between 5 and 10 minutes apart like 3:40 and 3:45 and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I can't wait for DCM! I'm doing Paris on April 7th so will decide after that what pacers to follow. I did Dublin last year, my first marathon and I can honestly say it was one of the best days of my life! I don't care if that makes me sound sad. I never dreamed I could run that distance and I never dreamed it would be such an amazing well supported marathon. The people of Dublin were a real credit in the way they supported and cheered us on :-) Roll on October!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Kurt Godel wrote: »

There'll be pacers again, as there have been for the past few years, sourced from this forum. A call for pacers will go out in June/July.

Previous years have had pacers every 15mins from 3:00, 3:15, ..., 5:00. What would people think about having pacers every 10 mins (so 3:00, 3:10, 3:20,...,5:00)?

I stress this isn't necessarily something they are actively considering, I'm just personally interested in people's views?

I think it's a good idea, more pacers = less congestion with each pacer. Apparently the numbers following pacers from 3.30 out to 4.30 was unreal last year

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BonBon75

The beauty with training for DCM is the race series working up through the miles, plus you are doing some training in summer. Training for Paris at the moment and the training through the winter has been tough. Almost there now and can't wait for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just about to enter my first marathon and strongly considering Dublin as work tends to be busiest from June to Early August and I could miss a lot of quality sessions during that period.

I think late October would be the best date as that would leave most of August and September pretty much uninterrupted in terms of quality training.

However, I'm not that pushed on Dublin itself, I'll enter and do it if it's the best choice but I'm quite happy to enter another race if it meets my criteria.

Can anyone recommend an alternative race around the same time? Also, does Dublin sell out early if I take my time deciding?

I ran Dublin last year as my first marathon and cant recommend it highly enough, great crowd support and not too hilly.
    I would have thought that your more serious training will be in Aug and September and you will have the opportunity of running the race series 10 mile in Aug and half marathon in Sept as target goals, so your work commitments shouldn't interfere, but everyone is different.
    I think the other marathons around the same are abroad and they may not be an option. Best of luck if you do sign up and I seem to remember other runners leaving it till Sept before entering Dublin so you could probably make a decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Would love it if the pacers were in 10 min blocks but it's probably not feasable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michaelReed

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Would love it if the pacers were in 10 min blocks but it's probably not feasable.

Good Idea, Even 15min Blocks would be a big improvement, 30mins is a bitmuch

Id actually think this would easy the congestion around pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Good Idea, Even 15min Blocks would be a big improvement, 30mins is a bitmuch

Id actually think this would easy the congestion around pacers
    It currently is 15 min. 10 min would be great. Depending on experience etc I would say go for it. How many inexperience runners go for 3.45 because they feel 4 is too slow. Runners like to run with pacers. Plus qualifying times for certain marathons are 3.10 for male and 3.50 for female....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Can't see how this can be anything but good - will ease congestion and will give the choice of 6 slots per hour rather than 4. Went with the pacers for the last 2 years and for someone inexperienced and at the slower end it was great. Will be looking to do the same this year and would welcome a broader choice if it is there. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Irish Times article today explaining lack of sponsors linked to reduced prize money, money for attracting elites and €5 increase in entry fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I appreciate why the organisers have paid to assemble an elite field in recent years but I see this as a great opportunity for one of our top national marathon runners to really try and win the event. I suppose a couple of uk elites would also be interested as the 10k prize money is still attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Yeah two interesting articles. They do make out the package on offer is value for money for any potential sponsor. I wondered was the last line almost hint/nudge to Guinness?
    Despite the frowning on alcohol sponsorship, the latter is not averse to say, knocking at St James’s Gate.
    “The funny thing,” he says, “is that if I got €1 each time someone asked us if we were providing Guinness at the water stations, especially the American entrants, then we wouldn’t need a sponsor.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Kurt

Last year IIRC there was a gap from 4:30 to 5:00 pacer wise. If an extra set was available to slot into 4.45 that would be beneficial IMO.

Also again thinking of the slower end of the scale there was no corresponding pace group in the half marathon - the slowest pace group for the half was too fast for anyone aiming at anything over 4:30 (again IIRC). If pacers in general are being looked at it would be good to address that to give the pure novices a chance to practice a paced race before the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

I would be happy to pay an extra €5, a tenner even, if it meant a drinks company didn't sponsor the event. I'm not a tee totaler but the more we reinforce our national stereotype (i.e. throwing a pint of the black stuff into Obama) the harder it is to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

re: pacers - maybe we could do something like have slightly more frequent pace groups to the slower end of the race?

I think folks going for a good for age time dont really need [or want?] a pace group quite so much as the person doing their first marathon at the rear end of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I would be happy to pay an extra €5, a tenner even, if it meant a drinks company didn't sponsor the event. I'm not a tee totaler but the more we reinforce our national stereotype (i.e. throwing a pint of the black stuff into Obama) the harder it is to break.

No harm having drinks company sponsoring it. If we are happy to have McDonald's at Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

From a financial perspective it makes perfect sense for both parties. If profit is the bottom line then go for it. If the race organisers are motivated by factors outside of maximising profit, such as community participation, promoting a healthier lifestyle, and generating an alternative image of Ireland other than a Guinness sponsored check point - then perhaps not. At the end of the day though I guess money talks - The Guinness Dublin Marathon here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

From a financial perspective it makes perfect sense for both parties. If profit is the bottom line then go for it. If the race organisers are motivated by factors outside of maximising profit, such as community participation, promoting a healthier lifestyle, and generating an alternative image of Ireland other than a Guinness sponsored check point - then perhaps not. At the end of the day though I guess money talks - The Guinness Dublin Marathon here we come.

Who else can afford to sponsor it if not a beer firm or unhealthy food company

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When did pace groups become a 'right' in marathons? It's an added expense and a luxury, personally don't get the attraction to running with a pace group at all. That's just me...don't see any benefit to having pace groups every 10 minutes in a marathon with a relatively small field. 14000 is small compared to major marathons.

Advertisement