Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    As long as you buy some good running gear the week before, you should be fine!
    On a more serious note -Have you set yourself a realistic target time?

Please recommend somewhere other than AK in this instance, I don't want the blame when 300% increase in weekly running volume results in injury.
    :rolleyes:

Filibuster, I can say nothing but wish you the best of luck in your endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Joined September 2013...which long standing member is having fun and games?

Wondered this too - had an immediate thought but it would involve a radical change in style. Still ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Joined September 2013...which long standing member is having fun and games?

If they are I give them 10/10 for the effort they are putting in (moving house/job for the sake of a troll would be impressive enough to leave it there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

On the guy who is signing up for the DM on no training... what's the big deal? Walking pace is 4mph, so its a stroll for 6.5hrs, that's very doable for almost anyone with a beating heart. If he/she wants to finish between 5-6hrs, just jog/walk, take on enough water/carbs, and don't stop. There's plenty of people who want to just tick that box for completion, its not like its a massive feat. They'll hurt, they'll be sore afterwards, they'll have done a time worthy of little training.

It's not difficult to complete a slow marathon on little training, and in the context of a running forum, and a thread where most are training hard to get the most from themselves, its not especially worthy of merit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ecoli wrote: »
    If they are I give them 10/10 for the effort they are putting in (moving house/job for the sake of a troll would be impressive enough to leave it there)

If I was trolling I'd log in through a proxy too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    On the guy who is signing up for the DM on no training... what's the big deal?

Send him your training plan from last year :)

Newbyrunner ???

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    On the guy who is signing up for the DM on no training... what's the big deal? Walking pace is 4mph, so its a stroll for 6.5hrs, that's very doable for almost anyone with a beating heart. If he/she wants to finish between 5-6hrs, just jog/walk, take on enough water/carbs, and don't stop. There's plenty of people who want to just tick that box for completion, its not like its a massive feat. They'll hurt, they'll be sore afterwards, they'll have done a time worthy of little training.

It's not difficult to complete a slow marathon on little training, and in the context of a running forum, and a thread where most are training hard to get the most from themselves, its not especially worthy of merit.

Maybe you could assign a personal pacer - as long as he stays glued to their shoulder ....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

RayCun wrote: »
    Send him your training plan from last year :)

I have a training program I'm going to follow:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/emergency-marathon-training-plan

I got out and did 10km in 59min today. I won't be able to do much more until next weekend due to exams. My ambitious target is 5hrs but would be happy to finish the race without stopping to walk. I'm sure there is 100's who rock up and finish with very little training put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Filibuster wrote: »
    I have a training program I'm going to follow:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/emergency-marathon-training-plan

I got out and did 10km in 59min today. I won't be able to do much more until next weekend due to exams. My ambitious target is 5hrs but would be happy to finish the race without stopping to walk. I'm sure there is 100's who rock up and finish with very little training put in.

That's a good looking plan for a condensed 4-week "program".

Over 1,800 finished 5+hrs last year, so you can be sure there are several hundred doing even less than you are. If you can jog 10k in 60mins now, there's no reason you can't plod around in under 5 hrs. If completing the marathon in that sort of time means something to you, then I suppose best of luck. Personally I'd be more surprised if you couldn't beat 5 hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

thumbs_m_trollrunner.png

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

kit3 wrote: »
    Newbyrunner ???

Was trying to remember his name. He never did come back to tell us how he got on did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

sassyj wrote: »
    Was trying to remember his name. He never did come back to tell us how he got on did he?

If I remember correctly I did a bit of digging and he ended up running 3.20ish

TRR wrote: »
    If I remember correctly I did a bit of digging and he ended up running 3.20ish

Was convinced he was a wind-up !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pagep195

I am a newbie to this board, but have followed this thread for a while.

With one day to register for the marathon I am in a quandary.

Hadn't intended doing this years marathon -I started running again after a long absence in January, and have done 4 x 10ks (best time 46:04) and two half marathons ( recent dublin race series half I did in 1:46 more than 8 minutes faster than the rock and roll half in august). I have been running 4 times a week since January, averaging about 35 km a week. My longest run was two days ago when I did 16 miles, reasonably comfortably. I plan to do 18 miles next weekend but realistically, might get one more long run in before the 28th after that.

The reason I want to do this years marathon badly is that it holds some significance for me. 30 years ago exactly, I did the dublin marathon as a 15 year old and finished it in 4:10. My father was one of the few people who didn't actively discourage me -he was there at the finish line to greet me and it is a memory I will hold forever - 18 months later, he died at the age of 41 from a cancer related illness. Just two weeks ago, an uncle who I was very close to, died from cancer, so there is a big part of me that feels that this year's marathon holds huge significance for me.

My question is: am I letting sentiment rule my head -is my training adequate to get through this marathon? Any opinions -I am particularly worried about the lack of long runs, although I have been running regularly and am improving I feel. I feel the extra motivation would spur me on - I know it will be an emotional day for me -the memory of my dad being there to greet me is one of the most vivid memories from my childhood, but is emotion enough to get me through on the basis of my training so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

pagep195 wrote: »

Hadn't intended doing this years marathon -I started running again after a long absence in January, and have done 4 x 10ks (best time 46:04) and two half marathons ( recent dublin race series half I did in 1:46 more than 8 minutes faster than the rock and roll half in august). I have been running 4 times a week since January, averaging about 35 km a week. My longest run was two days ago when I did 16 miles, reasonably comfortably. I plan to do 18 miles next weekend but realistically, might get one more long run in before the 28th after that.

The reason I want to do this years marathon badly is that it holds some significance for me. 30 years ago exactly, I did the dublin marathon as a 15 year old and finished it in 4:10. My father was one of the few people who didn't actively discourage me -he was there at the finish line to greet me and it is a memory I will hold forever - 18 months later, he died at the age of 41 from a cancer related illness. Just two weeks ago, an uncle who I was very close to, died from cancer, so there is a big part of me that feels that this year's marathon holds huge significance for me.

My question is: am I letting sentiment rule my head -is my training adequate to get through this marathon? Any opinions -I am particularly worried about the lack of long runs, although I have been running regularly and am improving I feel. I feel the extra motivation would spur me on - I know it will be an emotional day for me -the memory of my dad being there to greet me is one of the most vivid memories from my childhood, but is emotion enough to get me through on the basis of my training so far?

personally id say go for it...you are prob in better shape than you think. Do oyu have a target time? What will you regret more?
    Not doing it and maybe focussing on DCM14 or doing it and getting around and finsihing it in a time that you could improve with some specific training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think your case is unique in that going by your running most people would probably advise you to perhaps hold off for another marathon but you seem like you have enough done that you'd get to 20 miles regardless. The last 6 miles are always a bit of a lottery anyways so given your reasons for running I'm sure you'd manage to run/walk the final segment at least. If you pace it nice and slowly at the start you could well end up running the whole lot.
    Either way I'd say any hardship will soon dissipate once you cross the finish line, so I say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sounds to me like you're probably better prepared than most people :)

The lack of long runs might be an issue but shouldn't stop you finishing in a respectable time (with a bit of walking maybe in the latter stages)

I'd say go for it and enjoy the day/occasion and then try a more focused approach for next year if you fancy it

thanks for the encouragement Cartman78 and Belcarra - I know it wiill be tough, but I am hopeful that fact that I have maintained a regular running schedule and a sensible pace will get me through - someone once said it is not the distance, but the pace that will get you when you try to run faster than you are capable of. Hoping there is some truth in that!

Rantan wrote: »
    personally id say go for it...you are prob in better shape than you think. Do oyu have a target time? What will you regret more?
    Not doing it and maybe focussing on DCM14 or doing it and getting around and finsihing it in a time that you could improve with some specific training?

Thanks for the reply - I would like to think I could do it in around 4 hours - I am not going to kill myself trying to get that time though, as I figure finishing it this year would be the main goal. Based on my two half marathons, I should be able to, but then I recognise I haven't done enough stamina work to say that with any degree of certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I finished my 2nd last long slow run earlier today: 30km in 2:50. I'm doing the Athlone 3/4 in 6 days with maybe one shorter faster (12k in 1 hour) midweek.
    I had horrible cramp for a while after the run but that was the case when I first stepped up to half marathon distance a few months back.

I'm intending to stick with the 4 hour pacers in Athlone because I think I ran a bit fast today.
    Bring on the taper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I have a 30 mile trail run on October 12th before heading back to Ireland a few days after that. Will run with 3:40 group and try and see how that goes. Set multiple PRs this year so really looking forward to going home! Time to dust off my Boards tee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Just signed up,sure what else would you be doing on a bank holiday monday morning in October-now to try and get at least one LSR done to stop it from being a complete debacle!!:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Any half marathons left before Dublin? not the Athlone 3/4 cannot do !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    I finished my 2nd last long slow run earlier today: 30km in 2:50.

Are you doing all your "slow" runs at marathon pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

brutes1 wrote: »
    Any half marathons left before Dublin? not the Athlone 3/4 cannot do !

Tarmonbarry Half Marathon is 2 weeks before DCM. Have never ran it but heard good things. Wouldn't advise racing a half that close to DCM though. Maybe do it @ MP

murphd77 wrote: »
    Are you doing all your "slow" runs at marathon pace?

I find it hard to alter my pace too much outside a narrow band of 10.5km/hr and 12km/hr. This is probably inexperience on my part: I've only been running since April this year. I know I ran too fast yesterday and I'm feeling it today but there didn't seem to be too much I could do about it. Any slower and it feels like I'm running on the spot.
    My last long run was 25km and I did that in 2:15. That was at night time in nasty weather and I just wanted to finish up and get home.
    Athlone will be my last long run so I want to do it properly and stick with the pacers.
    Dublin will be my first marathon and I'm more interested in simply finishing without having to walk than any particular time. 4 hours is a nice round number so I'm sort of aiming for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Your long runs should be generally be about 10 percent slower than your marathon pace. I am no expert but I think you are running a big risk of blowing up in the last 10k. Maybe 4:20-4:30 would be a more realistic target? You should check out the DCM 2013 Mentored Novices Thread. Lots of good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

What happens when you set your goal to aggressive.

My First Marathon

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    Your long runs should be generally be about 10 percent slower than your marathon pace. I am no expert but I think you are running a big risk of blowing up in the last 10k. Maybe 4:20-4:30 would be a more realistic target? You should check out the DCM 2013 Mentored Novices Thread. Lots of good advice there.

I think I'll be ok. I'm hitting all the increases in distance as they come.

My max speed in short runs has been limited by pain in the side of my leg/hip but dropping the pace a little stops it.
    I just got my running analysed in Elverys and I overpronate a bit.
    I bought some supportive Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13. I'll have them well broken in before DCM.

Advertisement