Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

TRR wrote: »
    If I remember correctly I did a bit of digging and he ended up running 3.20ish

WOW :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

sassyj wrote: »
    Was trying to remember his name. He never did come back to tell us how he got on did he?
    TRR wrote: »
    If I remember correctly I did a bit of digging and he ended up running 3.20ish
    sassyj wrote: »
    WOW :eek:

According to the man himself he snuck under the 3hrs last year! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81488213&postcount=863

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well peeps - it'll all be (hopefully) over this time 4 weeks.

Genuinely not sure how this is going to go for me - have had a very higgledy-piggledy year training wise but feeling pretty good at the moment....although I know deep down that my mileage hasn't been quite were it should be most of the time.

Did the Galway Half on Saturday in 96 mins and felt generally ok. That equates to a 3:22 marathon time using online calculators/calculations so would be delighted with that ( a 4 min PB) but don't think I have the miles in the legs to sustain that pace.

This year's DCM will also mark my 10 year anniversary as a runner - still cringe at the stuff I was doing in 2003 but whatever I did made me fall in love with running

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    I think I'll be ok. I'm hitting all the increases in distance as they come.

Best of luck, whatever happens. Are you following a particular plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

murphd77 wrote: »
    Best of luck, whatever happens. Are you following a particular plan?

I was following a plan from the Asics website as a basic outline and customizing it myself to fit around my work schedule and so on. I found the pace they suggested a bit slow and conservative but I've run all the distance they suggested if not a little more with the same rate of progression in distance.
    As a result, I feel my fitness is peaking nicely.
    I'm hoping that the pain in the side of my leg will be prevented by the new shoes, proper warming up and stretching and a sensible pace. It has only bothered me when running over 12 km/hour.
    My dublin half marathon was very comfortable. I did my fastest section of the race on the hills at the end where I was able to overtake loads of people and was only overtaken by one or two others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 pagep195

pagep195 wrote: »
    I am a newbie to this board, but have followed this thread for a while.

With one day to register for the marathon I am in a quandary.

Hadn't intended doing this years marathon -I started running again after a long absence in January, and have done 4 x 10ks (best time 46:04) and two half marathons ( recent dublin race series half I did in 1:46 more than 8 minutes faster than the rock and roll half in august). I have been running 4 times a week since January, averaging about 35 km a week. My longest run was two days ago when I did 16 miles, reasonably comfortably. I plan to do 18 miles next weekend but realistically, might get one more long run in before the 28th after that.

The reason I want to do this years marathon badly is that it holds some significance for me. 30 years ago exactly, I did the dublin marathon as a 15 year old and finished it in 4:10. My father was one of the few people who didn't actively discourage me -he was there at the finish line to greet me and it is a memory I will hold forever - 18 months later, he died at the age of 41 from a cancer related illness. Just two weeks ago, an uncle who I was very close to, died from cancer, so there is a big part of me that feels that this year's marathon holds huge significance for me.

My question is: am I letting sentiment rule my head -is my training adequate to get through this marathon? Any opinions -I am particularly worried about the lack of long runs, although I have been running regularly and am improving I feel. I feel the extra motivation would spur me on - I know it will be an emotional day for me -the memory of my dad being there to greet me is one of the most vivid memories from my childhood, but is emotion enough to get me through on the basis of my training so far?

I went ahead and signed up - hovered over the submit button for about 20 minutes, but I figure I would regret not doing it. Have enough motivation to carry me through when it begins to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Good man. Better to try than regret not trying imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eh Squire

Hey all,

I'm just after realising i'm in the tragic situation of not having registered for the race yet and that online registration closed at 5pm today. I'm on track for my training, but obviously now have no spot in the race. I just wanted to check if anyone knows a means of late registration or if there is a forum for people selling their own registrations if they pull out through injury?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Eh Squire wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm just after realising i'm in the tragic situation of not having registered for the race yet and that online registration closed at 5pm today. I'm on track for my training, but obviously now have no spot in the race. I just wanted to check if anyone knows a means of late registration or if there is a forum for people selling their own registrations if they pull out through injury?

It has not closed yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Eh Squire wrote: »
    Hey all,

You should check whether you can still apply online. They said they would keep the registration open longer this evening because they were having technical issues with the site earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eh Squire

Got a registration! Whoop whoop! Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

pagep195 wrote: »
    I went ahead and signed up - hovered over the submit button for about 20 minutes, but I figure I would regret not doing it. Have enough motivation to carry me through when it begins to hurt.

well done - good luck on teh day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Fasinated at how the charity gold place runners will get to the head of their wave, and how that will all work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod Note: This will come up over the next while so I am going to put it as clear as possible. There is no race swaps/looking for entries from people. I don't care if you were taken prisoner by beer drinking pirates (tRR that doesn't give you free reign to sabotage your competition) and took 3 months to get out only to miss out on registration. If you don't get signed up for the race, tough! Get yourself better organised for next year. I will be dishing out bans if I see it and am going to spell it out for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ecoli wrote: »
    Mod Note: This will come up over the next while so I am going to put it as clear as possible. There is no race swaps/looking for entries from people. I don't care if you were taken prisoner by beer drinking pirates (tRR that doesn't give you free reign to sabotage your competition) and took 3 months to get out only to miss out on registration. If you don't get signed up for the race tough. Get yourself better organised for next year. I will be putting out bans if I see it and am going to spell it out for everyone

But I trained so hard, i forgot the deadline:mad:

But I trained so hard, i forgot the deadline:mad:

Ask parkrun to put on 8 back to back races and do a decent warm up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Wow have I really become the "bad guy" mod?

*cough*

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    *cough*

Why fight the masses. Living up to my reputation and working through my denial :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Why fight the masses. Living up to my reputation and working through my denial :D

Your just power crazy. Can I join ur gang?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Mod Note: This will come up over the next while so I am going to put it as clear as possible. There is no race swaps/looking for entries from people. I don't care if you were taken prisoner by beer drinking pirates (tRR that doesn't give you free reign to sabotage your competition) and took 3 months to get out only to miss out on registration. If you don't get signed up for the race, tough! Get yourself better organised for next year. I will be dishing out bans if I see it and am going to spell it out for everyone

I spent ages working on a funny, heart rendering and appealing storyline and now it will never see the sight of day. Me sad:(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

I am keen to replicate my 3.15 DCM time of 2010...so am a bit torn as to whether to go out with the 3.10 or 3.20 pacers; with that in mind, I was wondering if anyone wants to run a 3.15 evenly paced DCM with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Just for clairty as I see it mentioned. Is there a 3.20 pace group?
    Is it official or a group taking it on themselves?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Just for clairty as I see it mentioned. Is there a 3.20 pace group?
    Is it official or a group taking it on themselves?

Thanks

Got a response from Dublin Marathon on Facebook. There will be pacers at 10 minute intervals from 3 hours on so you're good for 3.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Got a response from Dublin Marathon on Facebook. There will be pacers at 10 minute intervals from 3 hours on so you're good for 3.20.

Awesome - sounds like a nightmare to organise that many pacers but it's great for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Awesome - sounds like a nightmare to organise that many pacers

Amen to that. Half of them are prima donnas, the other half are just plain old jerks ;)

But they are pretty good at what they do, and will run steady pace right the way around, at pace bands aiming to finish every 10 mins from 3:00 to 5:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Actually, does anyone know which of High Five Gels are going to be used on the day?

Few different types (Blue packet / Yellow Pack / Blue with Caffiene etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Will the DCM be split into start waves based on our original finish time estimates? Does anyone know if its possible to change which wave you are in? perhaps at the expo prior to the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Actually, does anyone know which of High Five Gels are going to be used on the day?

Few different types (Blue packet / Yellow Pack / Blue with Caffiene etc)?

According to this, both : http://highfive.co.uk/guides/dublin-marathon-2013.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I am keen to replicate my 3.15 DCM time of 2010...so am a bit torn as to whether to go out with the 3.10 or 3.20 pacers; with that in mind, I was wondering if anyone wants to run a 3.15 evenly paced DCM with me?
    statss wrote: »
    hey mr wiggle, myself and wowzer were talking on his log about forming an unofficial 3:15 group, hop on board

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86678687&postcount=329

Hi CM, get onto statss about a 3.15 group. There should be a bunch of us trying for 3.15 alright !
    Mr.W.

Advertisement